Camping season begins.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
My camping season begins in the fall and ends at the beginning of summer. Most people camp between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I prefer between Labor Day and Memorial Day. I do camp during the summer, mostly on raining weekends. I love to watch the weekend warriors deal with the rain. #-o

Looking for some menu ideas.

Typically I make Breakfast burritos for breakfast. Lunch meat sandwiches, chips, apple, cookies for lunch. Dinner is a variety, pretty much anything you can cook at home I can make in camp. I've cooked and eaten everything from MRE's to 5 course Frenched named dishes that I can't pronouce served with sparkling wine on a white linen table clothe, however nothing sounds good this time.

Not sure what to eat for dinner, Vension steak Friday night? What to go with the venison?
Also unsure about Saturday dinner?

What are some things you've made camping?

I am one of the "Weekend Warriors" :D

We normally just camp 2-3 times a year.

When we go to the Black River to float "Breakfast Slop". We cook bacon, ham, and sausage over the fire. Then we use the grease to cook cut up potatoes and scrambled eggs. Then after everything is cooked, it gets tossed together in one big pot and heated up.

When we go camping and cat fishing over night, the next day for lunch/supper we will fry up what we catch.

Breakfast (while car camping) for me has always brought back fond memories of the McPudgyPie Sandwich. I always bring the pudgy pie maker regardless of use just because of it.

They're a pain to make, but if you pull it off - **** tasty. In a split square pie, put two pieces of buttered bread on each side, a piece of cheese on one, straddle it with two cooked sausages, crack an egg in the middle, and squish. place over campfire coals until done (I like my egg runny, so it's a crap shoot where it ends up).

For fixen's with vension, do the old stand by with a veggie packet or potato packet. Sometimes I do them both...

Fold up a foil pack (or cheat and use a premade), on the veggy side it's usually zucchini squash and yellow squash coin cut, tossed with diced onion, some crushed garlic, olive oil, a dash of Sirracha sauce, and some hickory smoked salt. Put it in the packet, shake, stab, and set on the coals to steam the veggies.

Potato packet's nearly the same; coin cut potatoe's, EVOO, diced onion, garlic, hickory smoked salt, cracked pepper, and a dash of Worcester sauce.

Simple, easy to make, and lets me spend time with the family and still have a good meal.

C

I like simple... ribeyes over the coals.

But i saw on outdoor wisconsin where they made a walleye pizza in the dutch oven. I think they kind of cheated with all the ingredients cooked fist, but it still sounded tasty. They took a premade pizza crust and topped it with ragu alfredo sauce. Sprinkled in a fair amount of walleye bits that had been cooked with a few things, but I remember garlic as one of the ingredients. Then they put on veggies (onions and whatever) and mozzarella with a little chedder cheese mixed in. They put all this into the LID of the dutch oven, then placed it on a '+' stand aout 2/3 inches high surrounded by a ring of coals (about an inch from the edge of the lid. Then put the bottom of the oven on as the lid and covered that with coals as well. 25-30 minutes later it looked delishious. And one pizza is something you could finish yourself if no one else wanted to camp in the chilly weather.

I just got back from my annual canoe trip in Algonquin Park with the boys. Pretty chilly this year. It actually snowed on Saturday morning!

When I camp I always bring along one or two Dutch ovens. Found a really good bean recipe that was just awesome on a cold fall day - https://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipe-trailbeans.htm

I camp 2 or 3 weekends a month. We camp on Primitive sites that are normally on the Miss or another river in the area and have a fire ring and a picnic table.. if were lucky.

Latest addition for breakfest is we like to bring muffin mix you just add water to and 2 or 3 large oranges. Cut the oranges in half and take out the fruit using a knife or whatever you have without piercing the skin of the orange half. Add water to the muffiin mix and fill up the orange halves a little below the top. Slow cook them.. off the fire using whatever method works best for you. As they rise you can use a knife to poke it in the muffin while it is cooking.. when the knife comes out clean they are done.

So you get fresh made muffins and oranges for breakfast.. We also use alot of corn beef hash and cook that in foil..

Shish-kabobs tasty-style ! Forget the tomatoes and potatoes try this ....

Get long metal skewers - 4 for $2.00 (Whale-Mart) where everyone is fat
Beef chunks
Chicken Breast chunks
Large Shrimps
Green and red peppers cut in 1 1/2" pieces
White or yellow onions also in 1 1/2" pieces
White button mushrooms , remove stems skewer whole
Pineapple chunks (do not omit)
Green olives (do not omit)
Woody's Bar-B-Que concentrate
Orange marmalade

Alternate foods and coat with Woody's , then as almost done coat with marmalade !!! Do not omit olives and pineapple as tart and sweet make the total flavors rock solid !!! Cooks quick and blows minds .....serve with Jim Beam or Bottled Bud (ice-cold)

You can't beat backstraps, and mushrooms cooked in REAL butter, on homestyle tortillas.

Gotta be the homestyle, or homemade...Maybe called something else too. Depends on the brand. They are much thicker than your typical Ortega tortilla.

Otherwise, you can't beat beans/ham, chili, stew in a dutch oven when the temps are cool in the fall.

Can't you just order Pizza? :LOL2: :LOL2:

Just kidding. I love camping. Too bad nobody in my family does. Haven't been in years, but I still have all my gear. I may need to plan a weekend away by myself.

You just have to make "Hobo's" when your camping... sliced potatoes, onions and 1/4 lb of hamburger meat... a little salt and pepper and only a few drops of cooking oil or a pad of butter. wrap it all up in double layer of foil, being sure to seal all the seams... You need to have some katsup on hand... it really adds to the enjoyment...

Thanks for all the replies. Gave me some awesome ideas, and I think I have a menu plan now. =D>

Breakfast Slop- sounds almost like Breakfast Burritos without the shell. Cook up the meat (bacon/breakfast sausage), add in the potatoes and cook until they are almost done, then add onions, mushrooms, & peppers continuing to cook until they are done, now add eggs and scrammble everything in the pan until the eggs are cooked, kill the heat, and add cheese. In a seperate skillet warm flour tortilla shells while the mix cooks. Spread a couple spoon fulls of mix over the shell, add some salsa, roll it up and eat. We have been making this for over 15 years. Pretty much a staple at every campout.

Ribeyes sounds great, so good in fact we are eating them tomorrow night for dinner.

Pizza, we'll get back to that in a minute. :mrgreen:

Beans recipe sounds great as well. However it serves 8-10, only 2 of us. I will add it to the menu book for a future meal. I too do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking, not just camping, at home too. My home Dutch Oven doesn't ahve the little feet, makes it easier to cook on the stove. In fact we had Chilli in the Dutch Oven this week.

Orange muffin mix- also added to the menu book for future campouts.

Foil dinners (Hobo)- a great staple for camping. Had a ton over the years, nothing wrong with them and you can make em with pretty much anything you want. Our standard version is 1 potatoe sliced, carrots, and hamburger. Potaote on the outsides, carrots, and the meat in the center. You can add onions, corn, peppers, etc. You can also add the spices, and any sause (ketchup, mustard, BBQ, A1, etc.) you want. works great. The key to foil dinners is the double wrapped with no holes. Cook about 20 minutes per side right in the coals. If you got holes, you will burn the food. The sealed container traps the moisture and everything cooks in it own juices. They are great, especially for weekend warriors, however I've had my fill for a while.

Venision KaBobs- excellent idea. I wanted something with the steaks I have in teh freezer, need to eat up some Bambi before hunting season is here. Just wasn't sure what I wanted to go with it. The Ka-Bob is a great idea, plus the ingredients will roll over nicely into my other dinner plans. Saves a ton of cost at the grocery store. I'm going to give your recipe a try. Thanks!

Pizza- oh yea of little faith. I am making bubble up (dutch oven) pizza for my other dinner meal. It'll have the same main ingredients as the venison ka-bob. Venison sliced into little chunks, onion, peppers, mushrooms, pinapple, and cheese over pizza sause and dough. Really looking forward to it now. Kind of like a flat bread and pizza rolled into one. Not too fond of the idea of Walleye on my pizza. WE can make Waleye pizza at the 2012 TinBoats Tournament if you would like. :mrgreen:

Breakfast will be Milk and Cereal, bananna, and coffee. Tournament starts at 7:00am but I have to be there at 6:30am.
Lunch- PB&J, chips, apple, snack crackers, milk and cookies.
Dinner- Pizza and Venison Ka-Bobs.

Now I have to put together a shopping list, and mess kit.

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures from previous campouts.

Attachments

• Camp0505IMG025.JPG
    Camp0505IMG025.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 675
  • DSCF1691.JPG
    DSCF1691.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 675
  • 06 Lake Sara 013.jpg
    06 Lake Sara 013.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 675
We usually camp for two days at a time.

The first day is usually a pre-made sandwich for lunch after arriving at spot. Dinner is whatever the GF decides but usually pre-made white/brown rice combination and meats such a rib eyes, Portuguese sausage or even just Spam. The next days breakfast is left overs fried up with the rice.

We usually camp on the beach so something about salt air really works up an appetite!

Man I'm glad I had food in front of me while reading this. We've cooked all kinds of stuff while camping. Usually have sandwitches for lunch and grill something for dinner. Tin foil potatoes are a great side. Coleman stoves are great for frying fish, dirty rice, spaghetti, breakfast foods, you name it. Sometimes we eat better when camping than we do at home.

I hear ya Moe, I hear ya. For some reason the food on campouts tastes better too, even if it is the same stuff we make at home.

bcbouy- My wife makes home made chicken and noddles. Nothing beats homemade noddles. It's getting that time of the year again. I think Ill plant that seed for next weekend. Hmmmm

Alright, the camping/fishing tournament plan is in motion.
Everything is packed and staged.
Bought the food tonight.
Menu-
Breakfast- Milk & cereal, Bananna, and Coffee
Lunch- PB&J, chips, apple, snack crackers, Milk and Cookies
Dinner- Venison Ka-Bobs- Vension steak, onion, mushrooms, green peppers, pineapple all smoothered with Orange Marmalade
Dinner- Dutch Oven Pizza- vension chunks, onion, mushrooms, green peppers, cheese mix, dough and sauce.
I 'm bringing the ingredients to make Dutch Oven cobbler, but not sure I will make it.

Tomorrow morning-
I load the boat with everything going to camp. I'll be camping in a primative site. Only two ways into camp, 1/2 mile hike, or boat ride.
On my way out of town I'll stop for beer, ice, minnows, gas, and cash.
Plan is to have camp set-up by lunch, and fishing all afternoon. Buddy will be coming in late Friday night, unless he can get off work early. He has a 3 hour drive dragging a pontoon boat. Getting stoked.

The 2nd picture I posted above, is my campsite from a previous trip. I dont use a tent, just the dining fly (10x20 portable carport). This campsite is on a point with the lake on one side, and a bay on the other. Last time out we cuaght Crappie and Bass from shore. My nearest neighbor is about 1/10 mile away through the woods. It's an awesome site. Plus when it comes time to use the flush toilets and hot showers, it's a 5 minute boat ride. I'll leave you with a few more pics from this campsite.

Attachments

• 18lakeview.JPG
    18lakeview.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 17lakeview.JPG
    17lakeview.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 638
  • 27campbay.JPG
    27campbay.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 25smornsunrise.JPG
    25smornsunrise.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 638
  • 22snightmoon.JPG
    22snightmoon.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 638
Camped like you for many years on the off seasons, my idea to camp was to get away from everyone also.

Here's one of my favorites, breakfast
Can of pilsbury biscuits
Butter
Eggs
Cheese
Sausage or bacon or both
Fry pan

Cook up a fat cheese omelet cook up some sausage and or bacon.

Open biscuit can and take one biscuit and split it in half.

Smash both pieces out flat as flat as a pancake.

Throw butter in fry pan and fry the biscuits until brown on both sides, they cook fast, like 3 minutes total.

Now cut your omlete in two pieces, place one on a fried biscuit, top it with bacon/sausage then throw the other fried biscuit on top and you have a breakfast dripping sandwich!

Also I love smoken a cheese filled meatloaf too, easy two hour cooking ever!

I'm hungry now

Had a great weekend!!!!

Quick rundown.

Friday got into my campsite around noon, didn't get the one I wanted so I checked out the remaining primative sites to see which one I wanted. Finally got set-up by 3pm. The site I wanted was occupied by a religious group who sang until 3:30am. I buzzed their site on the way to the Tournament ramp at 6:00am.

Fished the tournament with a buddy, we caught 51 Crappie in 4.5 hours. Kept 30 and used the best 5 for weigh-in. We took first place. Fished a little more, and cleaned my catch of the day on the bow of my boat in camp. Partied till the wee hours of hte morning. The religious group stopped singing, however a Native American group in teh the group site was beating the heck out of a drum till midnight.

Sunday I fished near my campsite and caught another dozen Crappie before I had to pack up camp.

I decided on Venison Ka-Bobs for Friday nights dinner, and pizza on Saturday night. Food was awesome. Thanks for the ideas!

Pics below.

Attachments

• DSCF1956.JPG
    DSCF1956.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • DSCF1961.JPG
    DSCF1961.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • DSCF1970.JPG
    DSCF1970.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
  • DSCF1973.JPG