BPS Products - Quality or Garbage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Whether in the catelog or on line, BPS products are prevelant and first in the list of items. Whether rods, reels, lues, hooks or line, BPS has a model(s) which either copy or simulate a brand name similar product.

So, what's the deal here? If I'm looking for a certain Rapala lure, would I be getting the same quality in the BPS brand of the same exact thing? Are the BPS copies made by the brand name companies and only have a BPS name? or, are they cheap copies?

Can I buy a BPS reel for say $75 when it looks and has the same features as a brand name which sells for much more and get the same quality? or, is it a cheap copy?

Does anyone know the inside scoop on BPS brand products? Worth it or not?????

Haven't purchased too much BPS branded stuff, except for a 7' Extreme XPS spinning rod, and a BPS Qualifier rod & reel combo (almost 4 yrs ago), and everything is still working great (except for a previous dog we had chewing the rubber knob off the reel).

as far as I can tell its hit and miss, some of there products have done well for me and others haven't. I have a few of there rods, only one of there reels, and very few of there lures/baits. a few years ago i picked up some toury special rods and I like them. I just bought my first bps reel last month when it went on sale, and as far as I can tell i got what i paid for, would I buy another probably not, at least not the model i got.

I will agree with slim on the hit or miss thing I really don't care for their baits either plastic or hard baits... I have had a few rods that i like and the same with the reels you can't beat the price on the terminal tackle and i buy that all the time

Wayne

I've only used their XPS rods(a spinning and a casting) both were very good but I've since retired them(for no apparent reason). Their Senko bait(Stik-O) is very good but I haven't used other baits. Their reels are made by different manufacturers depending on the model, I had heard that the Extreme and the Johnny Morris are made but Diawa but I'm not certain, either way I've heard good things about those and the Prolite Finesse. Stay at the top end of their stuff any you'll get good stuff. I also have a Cabelas Gold Label casting rod, 2-piece for the car, that was an excellent value. I think I got it on close out for about $30.00 and I stuck several bass with it using a finesse jig and could detect the bite easily.

Iv'e bought 4 or 5 of the XPS rods and I love em!! As far as reels go I bought a baitcaster that was ok for the $ but a few items like plastics,hard baits,and especially the BPS red 3/0 hooks I don't care for too much.
I wonder who actually makes their stuff though?
I guess just do what I do and if you see something you like and it's a really good deal,then go for it. :wink:

Jim said:
Love the extreme series of rods. I dont care for there reels. I like some of there lures (dog walking bait) and the BPS mono is not bad either.

Some of the mono is extremely cheap!! Which type do you like? For the price, I could try out a bulk amount and, if I don't like it, use it for a base on the reel with the last 50 or so yards of Trilene XL or another quality brand....

I can't speak for much of their stuff, but I do have two of their Bionic Blades and I really like them. I've got a 6' M spinning rod that is all I use in the rivers and I love it....The Bionic Blades I believe do tend to have a stiffer feel to them compared to some rods, but I like the feel of a little stiffer rod(depending on what i'm throwing of course). And I've got a 6'6 M casting rod that I have been using for cranks, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits and i'm really happy with it as well. For the money, and if you like the feel of these rods, I don't think you can beat these for the price either. Also heard alot of good things about the Extreme Rods, but haven't got one of them yet.

As with many other places that have a store brand, some are made by big names to lesser standards, have less options or because they don't have their name on them they are cheaper. Other times the store contracts out to have similar products manufactured specifically for them. Can't tell you about their rods and reels but look at the storage boxes. Obviously the BPS 3700 storage box is made by Plano. And I saw that BPS had an ice fishing shelter made by Clam, just didn't have the optional seats so it was cheaper.

I have 3 of the BPS extreme rods and I like them. Plus when the extreme rods are on sale you cant beat the price. Regularly they are around $120, but when they go on sale they can be had for $50-60. One of these days, when I have a couple hundred laying around burning a hole in my pocket, I'll bite the bullet and try my hand at a Loomis or St. Croix. Until then I'll stick with the extreme rods.
I tend to shy away from their reels and stick to Shimano since thats what I'm familiar with and like.
Cant say anything about their lures. Again I stick to a handful of brands that I'm familiar with and I tend to stick with em.

My wife has a temp position at BPS so I get a huge discount which has made me try lots of their stuff. Excel line is excellent. I will spend $20 on a spool of Seaguar Invizx fluorocarbon because it is great stuff but for mono, excel is as good as any.

Reels: They are made by Pflueger. I don't like Pflueger and I don't like BPS reels.

Rods: If you are cranking or using a moving bait, go for it. If you are fishing a slow bait that you want a little feel with, buy a good rod.

Clothing, good stuff. They have some of the best factories out there making clothing for them.

Baits, EXCELLENT. Look at their brand baits next to a Lucky Craft. Jiggin Spoons are the best, Hooks, weights, why pay extra.

Just my opinion.

Oh, if nobody has mentioned it, the XPS Flurocarbon ranks very high. Tackletour has rated it above several other brands.

I have 5 of the the johnny morris baitcasting reels (they regularly sell for $179 but you can get them at the spring classic for around $120 with the reel trade in and sale), they are very easy to get adjusted to, very few back lashes and are super smooth I really like them and recomend them to anyone.
I buy their sinker slides, swivels and other terminal tackle and have no complaints. I use their XPS brand bulk pack hooks, I do prefer the gamakatsu hooks and will buy them in bulk packs when they go on sale, but I use the XPS hooks if I have to pay regular price.
I also use some of the BPS brand jigs, plastics and some of their crankbaits and have been pleased with their products and service.

The only BPS product I can speak for is the BPS Pro Qualifier wide spool spinning reel. My girlfriend bought it for her rod, but I have used it a fair amount. I have a US reel wide spool spinning reel, but it is broken, this reel campares closely to my US reel. The spool is not quite as wide, but still wider than a normal sized bass reel. The BPS reel has 8 bearing while my US reel only has 4. The BPS is a little heavier, but feels much more sturdy when fighting big fish. It definatley cast farther and has a great drag. I would buy one for myself in a heartbeat.

I have 3 Johnny Morris rods, 2 Extreme Rods, and a Crankin' Stick. I love them all. The Extreme rods a little on the heavy side but work great.

I too love the XPS flourocarbon. It's on all of my reels except for my topwater rod.

One thing to remember is that a majority of the items are private labeled. Meaning... same product from a major manufacturer with different packaging. They may be different colors also but the point is the same.

If it's made by a manufacturer that makes junk it's probably going to be junk. If it's made by a manufacturer that makes a quality product then it's probably going to be good.

Clothing is great. So is Excel mono and the flurocarbon. Some of the rods are okay. I've got a nitro reel and love it. cast smooth and very few backlashes. Baits are great. I only use BPS stick baits (senko knock-off). They come like 20 to a pack and are way cheaper.

I have used BPS products many times over the years. Some products have more than exceeded my expectations, some have disappointed me, I believe, like bhorlings, "if it's made by a manufacturer that makes good product, it's probably going to be good, if, on the other hand, it's made by a manufacturer that makes junk...........". Choose wisely. Regards;- Shimanoman

Latest posts