Pool chemicals caused compressor failure?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
I bought my house about a year ago, and 8 months ago I bought a refrigerator to put in a small room adjacent to the pool. I figured that it would be nice not to have to run inside the house every time we wanted a drink. The room also has all of the pool chemicals stored inside. This weekend my wife reported that the fridge was not cooling. When I pulled the fridge out, the copper? tubing on the back had a thick layer of green corrosion on it, much like a corroded battery terminal. I took the fridge back to Home Depot, where I was pleasantly surprised at how little hassle I received when I asked for a replacement without a receipt. I can't say for sure that the green corrosion caused the failure, but it seemed like an unusual amount of corrosion for an eight month old fridge. I want to make sure I don't have to do this again in eight more months, so I'm trying to figure out the source of the corrosion, at least. Would chlorine do that? I don't really store too much, and it's in closed containers. There's also always a bottle of granulated muriatic acid. Any other ideas?

I suspect that there is chlorine/muriatic acid in the room that is causing the corrosion for sure. Those harsh chemicals are probably producing a caustic environment in the surrounding air, so if the room is closed off to the outside then the air surrounding the fridge is causing the excessive corrosion on the copper tubing. I would move the pool chemicals to a different storage location. Then, at least you can keep your beer cold :lol:

Thanks for the opinions and link. I have moved the chlorine to an exterior shed which houses some lawn equipment. Nothing copper that I can think of out there, so we will see if that prevents the issue from happening again. Maybe the chlorine fumes will kill the spiders living in the shed, too. That would be nice. Thanks, guys!