what age for first cell phone?

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
nomowork

Post by nomowork » 14 Oct 2011, 00:26

bcbouy wrote:a guy at work got slammed for using 780 min. in one month on a company phone(not work related).do the math on that one,and we're talking full grown man,who should know better..
Ha, I knew someone like that. We had a company cell phone for work related calls because sometimes we were at locations with no land lines. We were told to keep the minutes to a minimum but one guy always had high usage. So when asked by management, he said that what does it matter if it was personal or work related, as long as he kept the minutes to a minimum. He is a product of a retired company supervisor!

As for the topic, I got my first cell phone when I was in my forties! I also allowed my son to take it with him when he went out so he could call me if he needed to. I didn't get a cell phone for my son until he went to college!
HAPPILY UNEMPLOYED

Xtremeboats
Jay415

Post by Jay415 » 14 Oct 2011, 07:34

Hanr3 wrote:I think age is the wrong question.

Does she have a need for a cell phone, and I don't mean to talk to her friends?

Back in teh day, there was a public phone on every corner and in every business. Today you can't find a public phone anywhere.

Is she going to be in places by herself? Will she be traveling to friends houses by herself, will she be away from home for extended periods of time? I view a cell phone as a safety device, their safety and my sanity. A cell phone is a perfect tool to teach responsibility and trust. Trust will go a long way the older she gets.

My nephew is 11 and has had a cell phone for several years now.
+1
You can also track her location with some cell phones.

fender66

Post by fender66 » 14 Oct 2011, 08:52

DocWatson wrote:I think most of the guys missed that she already has an "old prepaid" phone and "forgets it half the time". Seems she already has a phone. Just not the one she wants. She has all the phone you need her to have right now.

I'd make a deal with her that if she carries the phone she already has - keeps it charged, turned on and answers it when you call - for 6 months, you will get her a better phone with a limited text plan and see how she does. A cell phone is a responsibility, like a driver's licence, and should come to a kid with certain rules that suit your family. It's one of the first keys we give our kids to our adult world. They should earn the right to have it as well as to keep it.

Not the popular answer, but..... :wink:
My favorite answer so far. :wink:
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

wasilvers

Post by wasilvers » 14 Oct 2011, 12:01

The cell she uses now is still considered owned by my wife. So she is generally told when to take it. I guess it's not entirely her fault for forgetting it as it is my wifes not telling her to take it along. I don't doubt she has the responsibility and character to own one, keep one safe, and use it wisely. We started teaching that with cheap mp3 players, then got them more expensive ones. They have not lost them and always seem to have them handy when they need them.

I asked around the office and one single lady said 13 -her kids are 12 and 15. 13 was because it was a big birthday, the teen years, and before then, she never planned to leave the kids alone anywhere. I suppose I might consider it earlier as we have 3 kids to transport around and invariably one is waiting an extra 5-10 somewhere. If there was an accident while my wife was driving to pick one up, I can't always get to my kids (or even know exaclty where each one is at any given hour of afternoon. Or if one got hurt or practice was cancelled (happened once) and the kid was dropped off. I'd hate to leave them without adult supervision.

I'm thinking seriously about getting one for the older kid. I don't feel they should have one till they can pay half the bill or at the earliest 13 BUT, I also feel it is a good safety device. I do the best to protect myself and be covered in any situation. But leaving my kids without one of us at a location doesn't even give them an opportunity to call for help if anything goes wrong. I pay extra for gas to drive big cars to protect them in case of an accident. I send them to private school to protect them from some of the evil of the world. I teach them how to protect themselves should the need to. I feel I should give the oldest this tool as well. But it still feels too early in life.
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

shamoo

Post by shamoo » 14 Oct 2011, 13:04

I agree with the Doc. :mrgreen:
Club Soda-Not Seals

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 14 Oct 2011, 17:31

wasilvers wrote:... But it still feels too early in life.
I hear ya, I felt the same way about getting our first computer when the kids were in high school. Now we have just as many computers as we have HDTV's.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

hossthehermit

Post by hossthehermit » 14 Oct 2011, 17:46

Not to be rude, and I hope you don't take it wrong, but I would make parenting decisions about my children after discussions with my family, not based on the opinions of people that I know only from an online discussion group. My apologies to all the people here that are offended by my viewpoint.

EAT PIE. IT’S GOOD. (AND,GOOD FOR YER SOUL)
(Chocolate Cream is Best)
I’d rather be rich than stupid. (Unfortunately, I wasn’t given a choice)
I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every
culture, is the story of Popeye

nomowork

Post by nomowork » 14 Oct 2011, 21:03

Hanr3 wrote:I hear ya, I felt the same way about getting our first computer when the kids were in high school. Now we have just as many computers as we have HDTV's.
Time and technology marches on. I got my son a used computer from my brother-in-law when he was around six or seven. Remember those Apples with the separate hard drives? My son was in private school at the time and he needed to keep up with the school!

Cell phones are pretty much a necessity these days for many reasons, safety being a major one.

I'm still without an HDTV though, as my Sony Wega just keeps on trucking (and I'm also cheap)!
HAPPILY UNEMPLOYED

DocWatson

Post by DocWatson » 15 Oct 2011, 09:14

hossthehermit wrote:Not to be rude, and I hope you don't take it wrong, but I would make parenting decisions about my children after discussions with my family, not based on the opinions of people that I know only from an online discussion group. My apologies to all the people here that are offended by my viewpoint.
No offense taken. Everyone has an opinion (even if it is someone else's). While I take your point, I believe that input on any subject has value and should be considered, keeping the source in mind, of course.

Given what I know about my family, basing decisions on the opinions of strangers doesn't seem like a bad option. :wink: :LOL2:
If Life Gives You Melons,
You May Be Dyslexic.

Jay415

Post by Jay415 » 15 Oct 2011, 09:18

Also forums are based on other peoples opinions

wasilvers

Re: what age for first cell phone?

Post by wasilvers » 15 Oct 2011, 13:13

No offense taken. I like to research and this is one way of researching thoughts and ideas on a problem. Same reason I found this website in the first place, researching how to make my boat better. I can't think of everything, and some guys here have made good points that merit consideration.
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

Capt Rhan

Post by Capt Rhan » 16 Oct 2011, 17:54

DocWatson wrote:I think most of the guys missed that she already has an "old prepaid" phone and "forgets it half the time". Seems she already has a phone. Just not the one she wants. She has all the phone you need her to have right now.

I'd make a deal with her that if she carries the phone she already has - keeps it charged, turned on and answers it when you call - for 6 months, you will get her a better phone with a limited text plan and see how she does. A cell phone is a responsibility, like a driver's licence, and should come to a kid with certain rules that suit your family. It's one of the first keys we give our kids to our adult world. They should earn the right to have it as well as to keep it.

Not the popular answer, but..... :wink:

A M E N Doc now let her work out her texting time for stuff like cleaning out the car making better grades & beeing ready for school a little earlier. This worked for us and 1 Robert is the head IT guru at a local hospital and finished Eagle scout with Palm #2 is trauma nurse and head of a major ER /pro fire fighter and finished her Gold award with honors # 3 finished his Eagle scout is aw-sum musician who played with Bo Dillie before he passed away he is now in fire collage.
Only the best for her/them

basstender10.6

Post by basstender10.6 » 16 Oct 2011, 19:19

I am 15 years old and received my first phone at age 12. I was going into middle school and would be waiting outside to get picked up, so my parents thought it was necessary for me to have one. I did not have a texting plan until I was 13. I do no think you 11 year old should have a data plan and texting is not really necessary. But if you do not get a texting plan, make sure to tell her not to text because it costs 20 cents per message if you don;t have a plan.
2000 Procraft 190 SuperPro
2000 Mercury 175 EFI

angry Bob

Post by angry Bob » 18 Oct 2011, 06:50

If cell phones were ever banned you'd see protests that would make occupy wall st. look like a church festival. I don't know what women would do without one stuck to their ear. :roll:
Angry Bob
Smallmouth Fanatic

LonLB

Post by LonLB » 18 Oct 2011, 07:15

6th Grade is when lots of kids get them. 7th grade I would say the majority have them.

To protect yourself, you would want unlimited minutes, and texts, and data on her phone. You don't want a surprise multi-hundred dollar phone bill.

They will work with you almost none, if your child racks up a huge bill, without your knowing.

I've had this discussion a bunch lately with kids of that age. Harrassing my brother for getting my nephew one, etc.