commercial fishing, worth it or no ?

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
nomowork

Post by nomowork » 27 Oct 2011, 08:43

JeffChastain wrote:I'm gonna have to disagree with gouran01. I spent a few years on active duty in the Army, just finished up with them on 01 July of this year. I worked in Aviation, and gained many certifications and skills. But, I found out after transferring to the civilian world that those certifications mean nothing to a civilian employer, and they don't care if your responsibilities in the military were that of mid-level management in the civilian world. Also, if you ask me, all the mess that comes with the military isn't worth what you get out of it. Trade schools and IT schools are priced reasonably for the most part, and most can afford to take classes if they sacrifice a few things for it. Don't join the military for the GI Bill, otherwise you'll dispise waking up at 0430 every morning to go run your ass off. The ONLY reason a person should join the military is to serve their country. Those are the only guys who enjoy military life, and thrive in the environment, in my opinion. Okay, I'll come off my soap box now. Just my .02 cents.
I was in the USAF for four years (that's alright, you can laugh) during that other conflict as a hydraulic aircraft tech. It wasn't bad and it had it's exciting moments. Like the previous poster, civilian employers never saw military experience as experience. Never mind the constant BS and the occasional flying projectiles around.

I never used the benefits myself. I did sell a house that the buyer went through the VA. I'll never do that again!

As for school, after fours years of "growing up", all I wanted to do was play! :roll:
HAPPILY UNEMPLOYED

RazorBaits
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat » 27 Oct 2011, 09:20

Let me explain an earlier post: Heaven knows I'm not against education. At age 37 I went back to college to work on my Master's, 15 years after I got my Bachelor's. It took four years instead of the usual two because I continued working full-time (48 hours/week, actually) while going to school. I came out four years later, though, with an advanced degree and no debt.

After that I continued working full-time, but at age 49 I decided to go back and work on my Ph.D. Six years later, at age 55, I received my Ph.D. and now I'm working in the profession I love, albeit late in life. Again, I did not take out any student loans and came out with no debt.

I saw on the new last night that students graduating today now graduate with an average student loan debt of $24,000 and that student loan debt now surpasses credit card debt. Worse, the job situation is dismal and shows no prospects of improving anytime soon. For the life of me I can't see coming out owing the feds $24,000 or worse and having no job to go to.

If things were as they used to be and jobs were plentiful, I would certainly advise going back to school. But they aren't and they aren't going to be for the foreseeable future. If you can go to school without taking out a student loan or otherwise going into debt to finance your education, I'd say to go for it. Otherwise, my advice would be to go to Plan B, whatever that is.

fender66

Post by fender66 » 27 Oct 2011, 09:33

Okay...something from a different perspective.....

I'm a millionaire. Inherited all my money from my father in law. I work because I want to. You all are right though..the economy is sucking bad. My last investment statement that I received last week told me that in the last quarter I lost 26,XXX on just one investment. That really sucks. I'm ready to pull all my money and put it in a mason jar in the back yard. Maybe I should invest in a big enough tin to put a small house on it so I can live in it and fish all the time and not worry about anything else. I'll tell you this....the more money you have...the more you worry about it.

What you just read is a bunch of hooey! Well..the parts about me having money is. For the most part...we are all in the same boat. The only difference is how fast each of us are sinking. The only way out is either hard work or luck. I've had plenty of both, but not enough of the latter. God Bless us all....and good luck with whatever you do decide to venture into.

PS...this thread is very difficult to NOT get "political". I could put pages of that here........but I didn't. :roll:
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

SVOMike86

Post by SVOMike86 » 27 Oct 2011, 11:43

A friend of mine is a commercial crabber and loves it, but he DOES have a second job to cover the days that he is not on the water. He does well for himself, but I don't know that I know any one person that is a harder worker. You definitely have to be committed to do it, but how cool would it be to be paid to fish? On the other hand, my father is a retired Navy Chief. He never pushed me to join the military, which I was thankful for when I was a teen (I'm 29 now), but looking back on it, I definitely would (should) have gone that route. I worked in shipyards for a couple years on Navy boats installing communication equipment and got to know a lot of sailors. I have never heard so much wining and complaining from young sailors (and soldiers here now in Afghanistan) about how they are getting out after 2 or 4 years because of this or that. Always some political crap about how someone else got something and they didn't (which I myself am guilty of every now and then). They get out and go work for Best Buy or some other place that hires new workers as fast as they can fire them. The same BS that the kids in the service griped about, they face everywhere else. What people don't realize though, is that when they leave the military because of "politics" or whatever, they are throwing away job security. In todays situation, there is nothing more valuable than job security. It takes a lot to get "fired" from the service. Besides the fact that you always have a job in the service, you get a retirement, which in my book is the second most valuable thing. My Dad, being a retired Chief, pretty much doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to. It wouldn't be a glamorous life, but his retirement pays the mortgage and all of his other bills. The other perks which include free healthcare, free education (Dad also got a Bachelors and Masters courtesy of the Gov't) round it out pretty nicely. You can also get approved to buy anything you want as soon as you whip out a military ID. You can buy a house with $300 down with a VA loan. The list goes on and on. Being a reservist gets you some, but not all of the perks. Bottom line is, you're young enough to do whatever you want, and if it doesn't work, screw it. Go fish for a while, see how it works for you. You have plenty of time to make up your mind, hell I thought I'd be a mechanic for life until 10 years into it I got burnt out and realized $10/hour at a muffler and brake shop wasn't going to cut it. Also, as much as I hate to say it, education isn't everything. For every person I know that graduated from college and has a job that pertains to their degree, I know at least 5 that don't. But again, military (active or reservist) pays for all/part of it, as do most reputable companies that you could work for, so if you're dead set on school, try to find a job that will help pay for it. Rant over.

Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab » 27 Oct 2011, 14:08

This thread is awesome! Especially the facts that the guy who asked the question has not been back to read any of these answers :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

fender66

Post by fender66 » 27 Oct 2011, 14:53

Captain Ahab wrote:This thread is awesome! Especially the facts that the guy who asked the question has not been back to read any of these answers :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Maybe he's out fishing??? :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Actually, he did throw out a comment towards the bottom of page one.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 » 27 Oct 2011, 16:16

Taking over a business has it's own risks, accouting and legal advice should be sought before commiting. I'd also vounteer a couple weeks to see if you really want to smell like fish all the time and make sure your inner ear is happy too.

Jamie

Loggerhead Mike

Post by Loggerhead Mike » 27 Oct 2011, 16:22

You'll never know if you like it or not until you go out there with him and give it a shot. It's rare when somebody offers to teach you a trade for free

I love me some smoked mullet

V8_TITAN

Post by V8_TITAN » 27 Oct 2011, 17:46

sorry I haven't been on to check, I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled and Ive been pretty medicated.

I do want to say thanks, I think all of you guys are great, I know I will not learn if its for me until I try it. This is something I would love to learn to do but, right now im trying to decide if its something I want to do for a paycheck. I am going to continue to go to school, I take classes a few at a time, because school just isn't for me. If I went full time I would burn myself out and fail. Im not dumb, I just cant handle a whole bunch of classes all at once. And I pay for my classes with cash, the only way you should pay for them.

I really have no intent on joining any forces. I have lots of friends there right now and are happy about it. But its not something I want to do.

On another note, I have been trying very hard to get a job being a 911 operator, I have had orientations and interviews with different agencies in my area, come close to getting it. Each time I go Ive gotten down to the top 5 out of over 100 people that were qualified. Yesterday I got an email for another interview with an agency I already had one with. So November 7th wish me luck ! Becuase this is something I really want to do. its been over a year since I set out to get this job, and hopefully this is it !

DocWatson

Post by DocWatson » 28 Oct 2011, 11:16

Good luck with the job interview. 911 operator... Commercial Fisherman..... yeah, they're pretty similar vocational aspirations. :wink:

Seriously, find something you love to do and go for it. A quote I use often sums up life pretty well.... "I hope I'm not all grown up yet. Because I'm not any of the things I wanted to be when I grew up." :wink:
If Life Gives You Melons,
You May Be Dyslexic.