Ice Fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
Since relocating from mid-west to the southeast a few years ago there is not much I miss about the mid-western winters, but I do miss ice fishing. There is just something about the solitude of being on a frozen lake that I would find very enjoyable. Plus there is not much better eating than fish caught through the ice :D . I wonder how many Tinboaters in the northern climes ice fish in the winter?

Hi GillHunter

I fish just about every day - Hardwater that is. I'm just a few hundred feet off Lake Simcoe in Ontario. Won't be long - couple months - and there will be 3000+ Huts on the Lake. I absolutely look forward to winter each and every year.
Your so right about the difference in taste - 100 %!
Most popular species: Whitefish/Trout/Perch - If your really up for it, come join the fun :D
I'll take some Pic's and post them on the Fishing Forum,
bobby

I can't wait for hard water season to start! Greats great to get out on the water in the winter. Walleye fishing is huge out here in the winter and we have some huge 30" monsters in the red river and lake Winnipeg. I'll post up some pics too if I catch anything good. I'm planning on buying a power auger this year to make the 40" ice time of year a lot more enjoyable. I also want to get into some different species this year like crappie or trout

Where in the Midwest were you? I'm here in northern Illinois and if I didn't have to work, I would be ice fishing every day there was safe ice.

Popeye said:
Where in the Midwest were you? I'm here in northern Illinois and if I didn't have to work, I would be ice fishing every day there was safe ice.

I was in northern Indiana, north of the town of Middlebury a few miles south of the state line. Our local season would normally start in late December and run through early March. There is nothing like first ice. Normally I would put the boat up in mid-November and then start prepping my ice gear and watching the weather.
Sitting on my box, watching my flasher with a hot thermos of coffee, watching what you hoped was a big gill or crappie rising to your jig, it doesn't get much better. :LOL2:

Attachments

• mike's box.jpg
    mike's box.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 579
  • mike's box0.jpg
    mike's box0.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 579
I fish all winter long - but not on the ice

When the lakes get locked up I go for trout in the streams that do not freeze

Also, there are codfish all winter to chase

BTW codfish tastes great in the cold

Nice looking box. I saw in another thread (Boat decking) that you used to build furniture. After seeing your work, I would imagine it was pretty sturdy and nice looking furniture too.

do some ice fishing, not a lot of catching. last night, on a local river, my buddy caught a 29" walleye, almost 10#. that's a brute for our area, glad I didn't screw up netting it. he's happy!

Before I bought the boat this year, other than shore fishing the only way I could get out to the reefs was to hike out when the hardwater hit first, then drive out later when it finally got thick enough.

Ice fishing has always been a favorite of mine, it was the first kind of fishing my dad took me on.

Now that I have the boat, though, I almost wish the water would stay open for a bit more. I'm sure that'll change after the first time I get the boots out on the ice with the sled behind me.

C

wihil said:
Before I bought the boat this year, other than shore fishing the only way I could get out to the reefs was to hike out when the hardwater hit first, then drive out later when it finally got thick enough.

Ice fishing has always been a favorite of mine, it was the first kind of fishing my dad took me on.

Now that I have the boat, though, I almost wish the water would stay open for a bit more. I'm sure that'll change after the first time I get the boots out on the ice with the sled behind me.

C
I iced fished also before I ever owned a boat. If you already own cold weather clothing it can be pretty inexpensive to get into. My first rig was a 5 gallon bucket, a ice pole, and some ice lures from K-Mart. (Does that date me?) :LOL2:

I have been ice fishing since I was 3 years old. Have always had a house on Mille Lacs Lake. There can be upwards of 5000 houses on this lake every winter. Before I got married I was out there every day I had off work. In another month I'll be on the ice up here.

Attachments

• oldoffcaitlinsphone11032011 005.jpg
    oldoffcaitlinsphone11032011 005.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 555
Popeye said:
Nice looking box. I saw in another thread (Boat decking) that you used to build furniture. After seeing your work, I would imagine it was pretty sturdy and nice looking furniture too.
Thanks Popeye. I still build furniture. Do you think my wife would let me devote all my free time to fishing or boat projects. :LOL2: This was a towel cabinet that I made her last winter that had to be finished before she would let me start on our boat project #-o

Attachments

• 020811 002.jpg
    020811 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 545
overboard said:
do some ice fishing, not a lot of catching. last night, on a local river, my buddy caught a 29" walleye, almost 10#. that's a brute for our area, glad I didn't screw up netting it. he's happy!

Where the heck are you - Antarctica? Your rivers are frozen right now?

Latest posts