GPS acting up...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
I used my GPS the other day to navigate to a Turner's that I had never been to before. It must have been on a union break as it gave me all kinds of wrong turns and didn't even recognize the street I was supposed to turn on! Luckily I had a printed route from Map Quest.

While I was in Turner's, the cashier got a call from another customer to get directions! (Twilight Zone music) :shock:

nomowork said:
I used my GPS the other day to navigate to a Turner's that I had never been to before. It must have been on a union break as it gave me all kinds of wrong turns and didn't even recognize the street I was supposed to turn on! Luckily I had a printed route from Map Quest.

While I was in Turner's, the cashier got a call from another customer to get directions! (Twilight Zone music) :shock:

They don't last forever, buy a new GPS or a Droid!!

The best navigation I have ever used has been Google navigation on my last 2 droid phones!!

Any chance it was given, or thought it was given...another location destination?

I was going to a place a week or so ago...the unit had me going in the wrong direction. Turned out that the address had both an EAST and a WEST correct answer.

Also, there has been some stories about sunspots affecting results. Those issues can last a half day or so. Rich

Sunspots

https://www.montana.edu/gps/understd.html

GPS Error

There are many sources of possible errors that will degrade the accuracy of positions computed by a GPS receiver. The travel time of GPS satellite signals can be altered by atmospheric effects; when a GPS signal passes through the ionosphere and troposphere it is refracted, causing the speed of the signal to be different from the speed of a GPS signal in space.

Sunspot activity also causes interference with GPS signals.

Another source of error is measurement noise, or distortion of the signal caused by electrical interference or errors inherent in the GPS receiver itself. Errors in the ephemeris data (the information about satellite orbits) will also cause errors in computed positions, because the satellites weren't really where the GPS receiver "thought" they were (based on the information it received) when it computed the positions. Small variations in the atomic clocks (clock drift) on board the satellites can translate to large position errors; a clock error of 1 nanosecond translates to 1 foot or .3 meters user error on the ground. Multipath effects arise when signals transmitted from the satellites bounce off a reflective surface before getting to the receiver antenna. When this happens, the receiver gets the signal in straight line path as well as delayed path (multiple paths). The effect is similar to a ghost or double image on a TV set.

richg99 said:
Sunspots

https://www.montana.edu/gps/understd.html

GPS Error

There are many sources of possible errors that will degrade the accuracy of positions computed by a GPS receiver. The travel time of GPS satellite signals can be altered by atmospheric effects; when a GPS signal passes through the ionosphere and troposphere it is refracted, causing the speed of the signal to be different from the speed of a GPS signal in space.

Sunspot activity also causes interference with GPS signals.

Another source of error is measurement noise, or distortion of the signal caused by electrical interference or errors inherent in the GPS receiver itself. Errors in the ephemeris data (the information about satellite orbits) will also cause errors in computed positions, because the satellites weren't really where the GPS receiver "thought" they were (based on the information it received) when it computed the positions. Small variations in the atomic clocks (clock drift) on board the satellites can translate to large position errors; a clock error of 1 nanosecond translates to 1 foot or .3 meters user error on the ground. Multipath effects arise when signals transmitted from the satellites bounce off a reflective surface before getting to the receiver antenna. When this happens, the receiver gets the signal in straight line path as well as delayed path (multiple paths). The effect is similar to a ghost or double image on a TV set.

It was a cool but sunny day which in So Cal means possible smog or maybe it was intestinal gas interference with the nearby cow pastures! :lol:

I tend to go for the simple, do-it-yourself solutions first. Have you connected the unit to your computer and updated it recently ?? My Garmin goes out and gets them itself when I connect it to the computer, but it came with lifetime updates and maps 4 times per year.

Just returned my Garmin Nuvi 1300 that I bought a month ago. It was purchased to replace a stolen older Garmin unit.

Little did I know, in Garmin's unique ways....that the Nuvi 1300 doesn't show speed limits in the US. Only Europe has the speed limits feature. US nope. No lane changing help either.

Some of the Texas roads that I drive might have 30 mile distances between speed limit signs. I found the speed limit feature to be invaluable when way out in the country. Not always 100% accurate..but... better than guessing.

After checking around i found that the 1490T ( $35.00 more) has the additional, formerly included, features. Bah Humbug. I thought I'd wait until next week to see if somebody will have them on sale on Black Friday on-line. If not,..Walmart has them for a reasonable price now.

regards, Rich