Thanksgiving vs. Christmas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite?

• Thanksgiving.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Christmas.

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

azekologi

Reaction score
So gents...holiday time is here and I was wondering which of the "big 2" is it for you; Thanksgiving or Christmas?

For me, it'd be, hands down, Turkey Day. Come on! It's all about food, family, and being together...not like that December atrocity that has turned into nothing more than a capitalisticly-driven, money machine based on spending more than you want/should on stuff that you/your recipients probably don't want/need.

Don't get me wrong, at the core of Christmas there once were beautiful things surrounding religion and family; but over the years it seems to have lost that luster and turned into a greedy crapfest (par'don' la French).

I chose Thanksgiving, but because I have 3 little ones at home, I would say for now it is a tie. Once they get older it will be Thanksgiving by a long shot.

Jim said:
I chose Thanksgiving, but because I have 3 little ones at home, I would say for now it is a tie. Once they get older it will be Thanksgiving by a long shot.

I believe JIM hit it on the head. Christmas # 1 if you have less then teens at home still, after that Thanksgiving (A truly ADULT holiday) is the best hands down.

I wouldn't trade a christmas morning with my little ones for a day of 50 5lb smallmouths. Or anything for that matter.

Christmas by far. Seeing the excitement on their faces is one of the best things ever. I LOVE CHRISTMAS

My girls are both in their early teens. I still chose Christmas because they both play more of an active role in it. Thanksgiving is a party for them to get together with their cousins from down south and play for days. When it's time to eat...they show up...shovel it in and run away. At least on Christmas, (a time when we spend the entire day together) I can spend the entire day with them sharing something...even if it's part of a "crapfest". Christmas also has more of a "religious" meaning to it over Thanksgiving....which means more to me than a day of 50 5lb smallmouths.

Sorry....I borrowed some already used analogies here. They seemed to work well. :wink:

In Canada Thanksgiving is in October and we don't make as big a deal over it as you fellas in the US. So there is no real competition between the two holidays here. However, I do like Thanksgiving because it is much less stressful than Christmas.

I chose Thanksgiving. We have no kids at home anymore, heck, I don't even have a wife at home anymore. I seem to be more and more repulsed by all the "have to buy this" and "you need that" aspect of the Christmas season. On top of that, I'm non religious so that part of the season has no real meaning for me. Give me any time the family can be together enjoying a nice meal and each other's company and I'll be happy.

I choose Christmas - Thanksgiving is nice, but I really get into the Christmas spirit (I celebrate Christmas on Christmas, not starting Halloween!!!!)

Decorating the house, Christmas cookies and roast beast! Oh yah!

Decorated the house yesterday...

Christmas_lights.jpg

Thanksgiving by a long shot, which is about food family and football!! Christmas has become so over commercialized lately that most have forgotten its true meaning.

Attachments

• PCChristmasComic.jpg
    PCChristmasComic.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 740
I chose both, I never really allow the society to influence me.

I love thanksgiving for the reason of being thankful, and for what Christmas really means to me, I could be executed in other countries for this belief, maybe soon here, who knows

What's hard is family runs with the commercial side of it, all the way down to black Fridays.

So we don't get together as much anymore like we did back in the day. It's just me the wife and our kids anymore.

I chose Thanksgiving also. My parents are snowbirds and my siblings all go to there inlaws at Christmas, so we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas on Thanksgiving day. We usually make it a 3-4 day event also. With meal of course and then on Friday, Saturday and Sunday spend it fishing during days and playings card during evenings. With Moms home cooking everyday also. :D :D My girls can not wait for it either. They think grandma spoiling them and her cooking is the best.

We do have some present opening with my girls after services on Christmas eve, but Christmas day Mrs. works in medical field so she works, my daughters usually go to their boy friends family place and I go Ice fishing.

It usually just turns out to be me and the Mrs and our moms on both days so it usually isn't a big deal going on. I like that I usually get BPS gift cards from work and others at Chirstmas which frees more of my personal budget for gear. :LOL2:

I will say one thing about christmas.....

I'm a bit disapointed in our oldest. His list is like two or three pages long, and most of what he wants is 40-100 $$$ with probably 60% being $75 or over.
He even asked for some new handheld video game thing that is $200.

And he won't STOP telling us what he wants.

This year more than ever we want to teach them there is more to Christmas than receiving gifts.

They are getting much less "things" this year, but we are taking them to the Field Museum in Chicago, and taking a train to get there, so they will remember that for a long time. Especially since they are into Dinosaurs.
Might even take them to some cool place for dinner over there if we can find something.

OH and a rite of passage for all boys................They are both getting BB guns, and slingshots this year for the first time

I loooooooove Christmas. Hands down.

Of course I was raised in Canada where thanksgiving is....well...not as good as in the good ol' US of A.

We dont have kids yet but I can't wait to share my love for the Holidays with them!

Personally I love the nostalgia and warmth I feel at Christmas. I love the decorations, the food, the smells, and yes even the shopping.

I love getting every single thing my wife has thought she could possibly want that year, because she is awesome and deserves it and I love seeing her smile when she opens them! She also gets mad because I do get her so many things...but she is hot when she is mad, so it works out.

PLUS, I must admit I like getting new toys too....I don't buy myself things through the year very often at all...so Christmas is when I get some of the things I wouldn't splurge for myself.

Jdholmes said:
I loooooooove Christmas. Hands down.

Of course I was raised in Canada where thanksgiving is....well...not as good as in the good ol' US of A.

We dont have kids yet but I can't wait to share my love for the Holidays with them!

Personally I love the nostalgia and warmth I feel at Christmas. I love the decorations, the food, the smells, and yes even the shopping.

I love getting every single thing my wife has thought she could possibly want that year, because she is awesome and deserves it and I love seeing her smile when she opens them! She also gets mad because I do get her so many things...but she is hot when she is mad, so it works out.

PLUS, I must admit I like getting new toys too....I don't buy myself things through the year very often at all...so Christmas is when I get some of the things I wouldn't splurge for myself.

My thoughts exactly....Brings back memories of my childhood, and is awesome knowing that my children will feel the same way.

As for the wife, she is awesome in so many ways I can't begin to describe but we don't get each other much on Christmas. We figure if we are going to spend, it will be on the kids.

My EX wife got TONS of money spent on her at Christmas..... :LOL2: What a waste of money. :D

I have to go with Thanksgiving. As a young fella we didn't have much money so our Christmas was always around going to church and coming home after midnight mass to have cinnamon rolls mom had made. Thanksgiving however was really special... Everything on the table except the salt, pepper and sugar was grown by us or produced in one way or the other from our farm or big gardens. At least 2 and sometimes 3 kinds of meat and every vegatable you can think of. Home made breads with butter and jellies plus pies like no body can make today... everything fresh... What wonderful memories.... Thanks for reminding me.
peace