LCD Verses LED TV's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Is there really a big difference between the two? I looking to get a 40-42 inch HD TV, I know LED is more expensive.

From what I heard, LEDs are the newer technology. I recently bought an LED computer monitor and it really brought out the colors and details of the pictures in my picture files. They are more brilliant than ever!

My son also recently bought a 51 inch plasma TV which is supposed to be the "best" picture of flat panels. The picture is really nice but the screen in very large! What is nice is that the picture looks great from any viewing angle. The draw back is that it is a power hog.

Happy shopping!

the led it the way to go it should last much longer and give u a better picture it is also much lighter and will use less power

I don't know the technical details...but...I bought a 47' Vizio LCD from Costco for under $600.00. Mounted it on a swing-out bracket (approx $150.00).

We spent a fair amount of time checking the sites that cover ..."distance to place a big screen TV" ...and we sit about 10 feet in front of it. It is mounted at our eye level, which I find to be very comfortable.

We've had it since September 30 ... OUTDOORS,... on our covered deck. Picture is great, even in the day time.

It may be even better than my treasured DLP inside. What little glare we observed was removed by tilting the angle of the unit downwards, which is easily done with the swing mount.

All in all, we couldn't be happier. regards, Rich

https://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11649265&search=vizio+tv&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=vizio+tv&Ntt=vizio+tv&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Incidentally, Costco was a good $100.00 cheaper than BestBuy on EACH item, which caused us to pay the $50.00 entry fee and still save ($150) a bunch of money. R

p.s. If it matters, as I understand Costco's policies, you cannot use a credit card, other than an American Express CC. You have to use a debit card, or give them a check. So, other than the American Express....you have to have the money. R

Great question. I'm tuned in to read the answers on this too as my wife is begging for a flat screen over the fireplace. Guess she's tired of the tube sitting in the corner. Still works for me though.

Speaking of Costco, my son bought his 51 inch plasma for $800 after some negotiating at a specialty TV store. I told him to check Costco also as he has a card under my membership. Recently, I was looking through their TV section and saw a 50 inch Panasonic plasma for $500! I didn't have the heart to tell him. :(

i did a lot of research before i bought my sony most companies have several levels of tvs sony bravia has 3 the j the w and the xbr
the j series has a contrast ratio of 5k to 1 the w was 25k to 1 and the xrb was 35k to 1
i could see a big difference between the j and the w but the price was $ 400 more for the w
I couldnt see that much between the w and the xrb the price between these 2 was $1200
sams club had the j model you need to check that stuff out not just the price club price

re "tv over fireplace" Everything we read said that the most comfortable viewing angle is eye level. We've been extremely happy with that arrangement.

My wife wanted one over the fireplace too. Not going to happen. rich

I own a custom electronic company. Sell and install many flat screens a day.
LED have a brighter & clearer picture, colors, and are thinner. Some of the LCD's the viewing angle is less.
Only draw back on LED's is they are so clear ,that thinks look fake on TV. ie you are watching a show and see everything in such detail makes show looks cheesy. You can see poor sets and poor makeup very easy . One does not want to see some anchors/actors under a microscope it tends to distract one from the program.
My favorite is plasma. feel they are best of both worlds great color, detail, and good viewing angles. it also softens things up so shows do not look cheesy. Although they are going to be thicker, use more electricity also, and found only in limited sizes.

In the end it's all personal preference.... super clear, bright, thin or cost less money , picture toned down little bit, and may not see clear from sharp viewing angles. One may think the clearer is always better, but we have had some customers exchange because of the above mentioned distraction not caring for LED.

A little off the subject but I have a 32 inch Sony Wega analog TV. The picture quality is amazing and IMO, very close to current flat panels. Of course, I'm also too cheap to just junk it to get the latest technology. :lol:

Many years ago, I was on the verge of getting an LCD TV as the Wega had some green spots develop on the screen. It turned out that my son's huge electric guitar speaker cabinet that had four monster speakers in it was the cause. His band had just moved out of their rehearsal studio and he stored the cabinet next to the TV. Apparently the large speaker magnets distorted the colors in the TV tube. :roll:

I believe LED tv's have the same LCD displays as an LCD tv, it's just the backlighting used is LEDs instead of cold cathode tubes. The LED backlighting uses way less power and gives a better picture than an LCD tv. They just call them LED TVs because if they said led backlighting the average consumer wouldn't have a clue what they are talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_display

plasma has a better picture in a dark room like a basement but they have very bad reflections from windows and lights in my experience. LED or LCD is better suited for upstairs rooms.

I believe LED tv's have the same LCD displays as an LCD tv, it's just the backlighting used is LEDs instead of cold cathode tubes. The LED backlighting uses way less power and gives a better picture than an LCD tv. They just call them LED TVs because if they said led backlighting the average consumer wouldn't have a clue what they are talking about.

That's interesting :-k

fender66 said:

That's interesting :-k
That's true. :!: Only difference is the backlighting being LED. Makes the picture bright and clear, uses less power and should last a good long time (LEDs almost never burn out).

I just bought a Samsung 46" LED Smart TV from Costco a few months ago. Was going to buy the Vizio, but when I saw the Samsung in the store, it just jumped out as the best TV on the shelf.

I also would recommend that you not buy anything but a Smart TV. If you do Netflix or Hulu (and you should) the TV connects to your wireless network at home and through that to the internet. The apps included can stream YouTube, Netflix and lots of other stuff. This is where home entertainment is going. Broadcast TV (Cable & Fios too) are dead !!! In 10 years it will all come over the internet and be streamed into our TVs. If you can wait until Samsung & Google finalize their deal, then you can get a Samsung TV with Google TV built in, surf the net and check out TinBoats.net from the comfort of your couch. I asked Santa for Google TV for Christmas. :wink:

If you can wait until Samsung & Google finalize their deal, then you can get a Samsung TV with Google TV built in, surf the net and check out TinBoats.net from the comfort of your couch. I asked Santa for Google TV for Christmas. :wink:

Now THAT would complete my mancave! TinBoats on my TV.... [-o< [-o< [-o<

My GF's son built her a new PC used as a home server. He installed an HDMI output that connects to the LCD TV input. Using the home wireless router, she can now watch internet stuff on the TV.

About all the flat screens have ethernet ports and/or wireless usb reciever to plug in on them now.
Depending brand with apps available for that brand you can do most anything on internet.
We hookup alot of PS3 to systems. They do not only play games they have a web browser & play Blu-ray in 3-d.

Latest posts