Tin boat Trivia

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as plywood but from Aluminum trees (you have seen those, people use them for Christmas trees sometimes. . . . :mrgreen: )

220px-Aluminum_Christmas_tree2.jpg

Bugpac said:
Anyone know how a sheet of aluminum is formed?
They pour molten aluminum into a cast and roll it till it reaches desired thickness. You can either cold roll it or hot roll it. After desired thickness is reached I imagine they trim to width then length.

..I think.

Ive been to a plant that extrudes bar aluminum shapes. They use these huge dies with different shapes, out comes the aluminum in the shape of the die. They cut to length and ship it out.

aeviaanah said:
Bugpac said:
Anyone know how a sheet of aluminum is formed?
They pour molten aluminum into a cast and roll it till it reaches desired thickness. You can either cold roll it or hot roll it. After desired thickness is reached I imagine they trim to width then length.

..I think.

Ive been to a plant that extrudes bar aluminum shapes. They use these huge dies with different shapes, out comes the aluminum in the shape of the die. They cut to length and ship it out.
that sounds kinda far fetched!!!! im with ahab

:USA1: Up to 10 ga. rolled at foundry and cut to size at Tin boat plant then stamped in stamping press to make proper parts. :?

Interesting, Aluminum actually as well as steel sheet, makes its way across the country in huge coils, they are at desired thickness and width, the processing plant un rolls it, runs it through a series of rollers etc, cuts it to desired length, stacks it up on a skid, and delivers it to the retail market place. You could literally buy a 72" wide sheet of aluminum 600' long if you desired. The cool thing is diamond plate expanded metal and all that stuff comes the same way.

Latest posts