live wells

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
i'm just curious to know what you guys use your live wells for. up here we can't fish with live bait,and any fish i keep i daisychain off the stern till i get to the dock,so nobody up here uses one. we do use cut plug herring for salmon.

Livebait, or tournaments.

Can be used to revive tired fish that look like they are in bad shape too.

Jim said:
tournament fishing to keep the bass alive until weigh in mostly.

This^

And sometimes minnies in the fall for walleyes, or large shiners/chubs for muskies.

bcbouy said:
i'm just curious to know what you guys use your live wells for. up here we can't fish with live bait,and any fish i keep i daisychain off the stern till i get to the dock,so nobody up here uses one. we do use cut plug herring for salmon.

No live bait?

my boat is currently a panfisher model with 4 of em. 2 small minnow buckets and 2 for you catch. one pump is dead so to dont work they are trash cans till i rebuild.in the winter ill use it like a cooler.

shmelty said:
bcbouy said:

No live bait?
no live bait,single barbless hook per line,1 line per person unless you are alone in a boat,or over 65 then 2 lines and im not sure but i believe no transporting live fish.

In every tournament I've fished, you have to have a working livewell and a way to identify your fish vs your partner's fish. I have a divided livewell in one boat and a culling system in the other. Both livewells have a recirculating system on a timer.

fender66 said:
In every tournament I've fished, you have to have a working livewell and a way to identify your fish vs your partner's fish. I have a divided livewell in one boat and a culling system in the other. Both livewells have a recirculating system on a timer.

Interesting. Every tournament that I have fished it is a combined bag for the fish....
I have the timer with recirc too and it's a really nice feature...

Lennyg3 said:
fender66 said:

Interesting. Every tournament that I have fished it is a combined bag for the fish....

Lot's are. In pro/am tournaments, if your the boater (Pro) you would need to provide a working livewell for yourself and your co-angler (amateur)

LonLB said:
Lennyg3 said:
fender66 said:

Lot's are. In pro/am tournaments, if your the boater (Pro) you would need to provide a working livewell for yourself and your co-angler (amateur)

Well then, any pros want to take an am out on a tournament? Lol

Lennyg3 said:
fender66 said:

Yes....scoring is per boat (combined anglers) for total weight...but each angler get's points per performance so you have to keep them separate if you want your individual points. That's how you earn points towards your Angler of the Year or top 10 or whatever your club tallies.

Although we are permitted to use live bait, (and I do), I never put them in the livewell. Too many gallons of water to try and catch a minnow. I use it to keep my catch fresh until it is time to go home. There have been times where I'll catch a nice Walleye early on and not get another one for the rest of the day. When It's time to go home, I can release it. When fishing for Salmon, I use it as a cooler. A couple gallons of ice in a gallon or two of water keeps my Salmon cold until I get my limit or decide to stop for the day.