Thanks Tinboaters!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Thanks to this site and the encouragement to try my own build, I found out that I have developed a few new skills. Tonight, without thinking twice about it, I built a shelf for my van (have to transport 6 people and all their gear plus Christmas presents to TN for new years). This shelf stretches from one side of the van to the other and extends to the rear hatches - basically giving me almost double the storage space. It was a weird layout to wraparound the roof supports, so I used cardboard to test fit (never heard of that before this site), then measured 2x and cut once. After I did all that cutting for my crazy, no-straight-lines 'V' boat, I found it easy to cut out the 3/4" ply (leftover from the boat build) with circular saw and finish with a jig saw. A bit of sanding, then the edges were rounded with a router (learned that for my carpeting experience). I set up a hinged leg support so you can put big items in the lower section and then fold down the extra support - learned planning ahead from all the builds here. Since I had previous experience with carpeting my boat, I didn't think twice about wrapping the shelf and support in some mini-shag carpeting remnants. All the carpeting corners and 'S' curves cut just right the first time and look very well done - if I do say so myself. I started the project at 7pm, and with 2 kids 'helping' (for those who don't have kids, they learn as they go, so it's a bit slower) was easily done before 9pm. The shelf is removable, so I can take it out in about 15 seconds. Oh, and the best part is now when that shelf is in, I can call the van the shaginwagin :D

So I typed all that to say - THANKS TINBOATS.NET!!! The help and knowledge I found from the people here is not just limited to boat mods. :D
2011-12-31vanshelf.jpg

(This space reserved for picture once the sun comes up)

Latest posts