New news for Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
Last year I was at the New York City boat show, I walked over to the einvurde display and sarted to talk to a salesman. I asked him if evinrude was coming out with any motors under 25hp. He said they are working on something but he doesn't know. So this year I went to the boat show again. I turned around and saw what I thought were mercury outboards 2.5-15hp. As I got closer I realized that they were evinrudes. I was so happy because I was going to go up to a salesman and order a 9.9 for my boat. I started talking to a salesman about them. I asked him when they came out, and he responded in an angry voice.. "they will be available to the public in a month". The I said... "these are 2 cycles right?". He said no there are four strokes. Then it clicked.. I said "wait so are these Tohtasu's". Then the salesman started to explain that someone who worked for the company complained that they made no motors under 25hp (well they make a 15 but it weights 190 pounds and is a long shaft). So evinrude took action and now does the same thing mercury does. They are taking tohahtsu motors and putting their name on them (2.5-15hp).

Now, this does not look bad when mercury does this because most people dont know, and because most of their product line is four strokes. Evinrude does not make one four stroke model and this just makes the company look bad. The salesman was pissed off that they did this and apparently so are a lot of people who work for evinrude. He started to show me the differences between the motors that they make and the tohatsu's. The shift cable is exposed, the mounting bracket is thin, the throttle cable is make like crap, they are heavy, they dont follow under the 3 year 300 hours rule, and the parts are cheaper. And these were the exact words that came out of the people who sell these.
Anyone have any opinions?

I owned an 8hp Merc made by tohatsu that I used as a kicker.....Thing worked great, ran great, quite, smooth etc.
I bought it used, and it was obvious that it got beat up. Just from the appearance of the hood. I painted the hood, and it was good to go.
I was more than happy with it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if that was in my budget.

FWIW being a 4 stroke also isn't that big a deal. Not long ago, when Johnson was still being built, the Johnson was the 4 stroke, Evinrude the 2 stroke.

Guys would rig the E-tec when it first came out as the main motor, and a smaller Johnson as the kicker.

LonLB said:
I owned an 8hp Merc made by tohatsu that I used as a kicker.....Thing worked great, ran great, quite, smooth etc.
I bought it used, and it was obvious that it got beat up. Just from the appearance of the hood. I painted the hood, and it was good to go.
I was more than happy with it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if that was in my budget.

FWIW being a 4 stroke also isn't that big a deal. Not long ago, when Johnson was still being built, the Johnson was the 4 stroke, Evinrude the 2 stroke.

Guys would rig the E-tec when it first came out as the main motor, and a smaller Johnson as the kicker.
I agree that these motors are great for boats like most people have on this website. I just find it interesting that evinrude would do such a thing. All of their advertisements say how much better their 2 strokes are better than 4 strokes. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about these motors.

basstender10.6 said:
LonLB said:

I agree that these motors are great for boats like most people have on this website. I just find it interesting that evinrude would do such a thing. All of their advertisements say how much better their 2 strokes are better than 4 strokes. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about these motors.

I know what your saying, but it's not anything new....From my understanding some of the Johnson 4 strokes were made by Suzuki.
Johnson/Evinrude was/is owned by Bombardier...They just phased out the Johnson lineup. Basically re-introducing what they already had, but discontinued, and branding it an Evinrude, instead of Johnson.

My complaint if I had one would be that the engines are not made in North America, not that they are 4 stroke.

Loggerhead Mike said:
I wish they would make the old late 80s early 90s johnny rudes. Best motors I've been around
I agree. There are so many of those around and I just see newer outboards die left and right.

Latest posts