Is this a Tinboats member??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article recommends using pressure treated wood and doesn't mention (from the picture page at least) using stainless steel screws when securing anything to the boat's aluminum. Wish we could see the entire article though.

Hello All,

I am the author of the mention article and was directed to this site through traffic being generated on my own site. First off - awesome site you have here! Looks like some amazing information is being shared and I am happy to have become a member.

As for the article I wrote, it was printed in the latest issue of Ontario OUT OF DOORS magazine (circ. 90,000). It was meant as a basic intro to upgrading your boat, and among the topics discussed were decks, carpet, livewells, Bow Mounts, Electronics and Placement, Bilge Pumps and Panel Boxes, as well as some small tips on weight and other upgrades. Obviously, due to space constraints, I could not cover everything, nor go into as much detail as I would have liked. But, it is a great start for those thinking about the project, and all the upgrades are those that have been personally done on my own Springbok Pro 140, which I have had for the last 23 years.

@Stove Iron - As for the pressure treated wood, in my case, I used this type of wood for the framework which was placed directly on a factory-built carpeted wooden floor. The wood did not come into contact with the aluminum at all. Unfortunately, I failed to make mention of the dangers of aluminum and PT wood, and this "correction" will be printed in the next issue. As for screws - I did not make mention of affixing anything to raw aluminum, as in my case - and many - this is not necessary.

@JasonLester - The plywood I used for the deck is 3/4" thick. It may look thicker in the images due the pile of the carpet. With two guys (and upwards of 400lbs) I felt that this would be a good thickness to go with. Again, worked for me.

RenovatingYourTinny.jpg

TinnyPage2.jpg

TinnyPage3.jpg

TinnyPage4.jpg

Thanks to those that checked out my site - much appreciated. I will definitely be checking this one out.

Good Fishing,

Justin Hoffman

Hey Justin...great job and welcome to the TinBoats family. Take a look around...we have some great boat mods here.

I like the o-ring clip for a towel idea..simple and not important but nice to have...

Welcome to the group!

JustinHoffman said:
@JasonLester - The plywood I used for the deck is 3/4" thick. It may look thicker in the images due the pile of the carpet. With two guys (and upwards of 400lbs) I felt that this would be a good thickness to go with. Again, worked for me.

Justin,

It looked much thicker than 3/4. Thats why I mention that...I guess i take back my comment...The boat looked great btw... I'm glad you came here and joined. Its a great resource. Welcome Aboard!!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! Glad I stumbled upon this site...and all thanks to the members here.

Always great to learn stuff from folks in the same boat...so to speak :lol:

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I know I'll be doing the same on other threads. Besides, with the ice up here in Ottawa a good foot-and-a-half thick....plenty of time to learn new things until the boat cover is removed in the spring.

Good Fishing,
Justin

Latest posts