Can a guy tie a Toon off at this dock?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmac

Reaction score
Ok then I'll edit my first post,so it makes sense too you. Yes I have tons of pics of this build,but I didn't intend to on this thread.

I'm building a pontoon from the tubes up,that will be strictly for fishing. No lounges,tanning decks,or 30" tall railing. Will have fishing chairs,bait tank,livewell,trolling motor,downriggers,and built to fish on rough reservoirs. There isn't any sites for rigs like this that I've found. The typical party barge sites are only interested in plush furniture and joy riding. I've seen them snub fishtooners time after time. So, I seen this "Tin Boat" site,and wondered.

I am fairly new here, but I think I am safe in saying; the we love great builds and fishing......and of course - pictures. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Haha...now that you edited your post it makes much more sense to me. ;).

I would love to have a pontoon for fishing...looking forward to your build.

Jdholmes said:
Haha...now that you edited your post it makes much more sense to me. ;).

I would love to have a pontoon for fishing...looking forward to your build.

Shew! Thought I was going to have to draw you a picture,and I'm a terrible drawer. Just rib'n ya,JD. :wink: I'm probably a better drawer than a writer,and need pics with my words anyway. So there aren't any fishtoons on this site? I mean we have 3x the tin you have,and a pontoon is a boat. :mrgreen:

I'm no stranger to tin boats. Started with a canoe,then a jon,a 14' semi-v,16' lund,19' center console lowe,then switched to big glass rigs for awhile. Done the guide thing and tourney fished for 3 or 4 yrs,then had a major life change selling off my boat. I've been off the water for the last 5 or 6 years,and now ready to get back out there. Only this time it's back to the fun I use to have fishing out of tin boats,plus still be able to fish windy reservoirs. There's times I'll have a 1/2 dozen partners with me,doing everything from setting lines to catching stripers. So I need a big platform,hense this build.

I have owned many boats. Only one toon. 14 feet long with a 9.9 on a power restricted lake.

My wife loved it. We'd take a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers and go watch the sun slide down in the evening.

My objection to using it for fishing was that it would catch any slight breeze and move around a lot. I like to sneak up to lily pads and lightly splash a worm or lure. The toon wouldn't stay still for that style of fishing. Also, it wasn't well set up for me to be comfortable up front.

If you are designing a toon for your exact purpose...it probably will turn out great. Like you, I would have liked to have torn off all of the fancy doo-dads and just get down to a platform and seats that fit my needs instead.

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to some pix. R

Rich, the only bass I fish for now are whitebass or stripped. The flinthills farm ponds are loaded with big largemouth. Grew up fishing those. I like open water fishing for cats,walleye,crappie,wipers,strippers,or occasionally chasing whites up the river. So, I'm not too worried about holding still in the weeds. I'm cutting the profile way down on this rig to slow the drift,and as far as holding still I bought a 36 volt 101 terrova that you can train to point,track,and stay.....good boy!

Made out of metal=Tin Boats....no question in my mind

Welcome!!!

I'm fairly new but everyone seems great on here. Lots of good info and lots of help. And pretty much everyone is fishing.

BTW guys check out his build in the other thread...very nice work...

richg99 said:
My wife loved it. We'd take a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers and go watch the sun slide down in the evening.

I can't possibly stress enough how AWESOME and peaceful that sounds. Especially since we are in the middle of winter.

Winter? You can do it now. Bundle up. Get the snow mobile out. Drag the tinny onto the ice. Open the wine. Upper Mid-Westerners are HARDY folk!

Former Chicagoan...Ha Ha (never again in the Winter!!!)

Rich

We could of this winter. Our lakes never froze for the 1st time I can remember. I sewn my backyard in late Oct.,worried it was too late. This is what it looked like a week ago. I could mow it.

photobucket-2442-1327898490357.jpg

The typical party barge sites are only interested in plush furniture and joy riding. I've seen them snub fishtooners time after time. So, I seen this "Tin Boat" site,and wondered.

Wether you call it a fishing rig or not well still think of you as one of them snub fishtooners :LOL2:

Guess I should have worded that (seen them snub the fishtooners). I might be one of those blanky-blank fishtooners to you,but I won't snub you out there. I've got buddies in all kinds of boats.

I'll have more of what you guys call a tin boat before long anyways. I have a 4-stroke Honda 50 looking for a transom.