Cuba Trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoney

Reaction score
I am heading to Cuba for reading week in February and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or experiences?

Any tips on fishing there? I would like to bring a telescopic rod and maybe a few lures to fish a day or two. I've never fished in saltwater before so what should I bring for fishing from shore? Any idea what I would be catching?

Any good excursions to go on?

any help is appreciated!

i copied my reply over from a thread in the tackle section

ive had good look with a jig head with a mr.twister sassy shad for specs, whites and reds. i use a 8ft catfish uglystik with a abu bait caster with 20lb mono.

we use a bass carolina rig with a heavy flouro leader for shimp/cut bait. you can replace the weight with a popping cork if the situation calls for it.

a double hook rig works good to your weight goes on the end of the line the tie 2 dropper knots up th line with a good size loop. stick the loops through the hook eye and around the hook.

everything eats shimp

you dont need a big bait to catch good fish. i caught this 27'' red
313781_10150327688806795_687136794_8160137_1024019926_n.jpg
on a 3'' shrimp

if you dont have a way to keep shimp alive(bucket and cheap battery minnow pump works fine) catch some croakers and pinfish on a bream hook with dead shrimp then fish them live or cut up.

saltwater cat will put you in a world of hurt!! watch the spines. and dont lip anything.

i talked to guide one time who swore by gulp shrimp and other products but i havent tried them to know.

if you dont have luck start chumming something will come.

and around a light at night is as good as it gets.

Depending on conditions, I use a 1/2 ounce sliding sinker on a 6-7 foot medium action rod with about 2-3 feet of leader to a number 4 bait holder hook with the barb crimped down so releasing is easier. In choppy conditions I use a 2 ounce pyramid sinker to TRY and tame the current but even sometimes that doesn't help. Frozen anchovies work great too as well as plastic worms with some sort of scent rubbed on them. Sometimes asking the locals help.

Have a nice trip and watch out for the nukes! :mrgreen:

Cuba - as in the Island Nation?

The LM Bass fishing there is supposed to be insane. I read an article about a tournament there where the locals will reuse and remelt soft plastics over and over. Bring lots of those and you will quickly make some good friends

Senkos and such

Captain Ahab said:

The LM Bass fishing there is supposed to be insane. I read an article about a tournament there where the locals will reuse and remelt soft plastics over and over. Bring lots of those and you will quickly make some good friends

Senkos and such

I read the same article. Those guys are insanely good fishermen.

Captain Ahab said:

Senkos and such
remember reading an article, many years ago, on Treasure Lake-Cuba. think it said a fisherman caught a possible world record LM bass, and ate it. needed to feed the family. ???

I will be leaving for trips to Cuba next week and I was browsing internet to find fishing ideas in Cuba. Thankfully, I found great information by discussion on this thread. Thanks for information.

I spent a few days in Guantanamo Bay in 1980. If you decide to go in the coastal waters while you're there, wear some sort of footwear that will give you protection from stepping on sea urchins. The two things they had in abundance, were urchins and barracuda.