What the.......???!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
Border seizure of invasive Asian carp alarms officials

Canadian border guards are silhouetted as they replace each other at an inspection booth at the Douglas border …The seizure of more than six tonnes of Asian carp by Canada Border Services agents this month has alarmed experts worried about the big fish's potential threat to the Great Lakes.

The live fish were discovered and seized in two separate shipments on the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge linking Detroit and Windsor, Ont., according to Postmedia News.

"The Americans have put $78 million into trying to detect where the fish are and to make sure they don't get into the Great Lakes at Chicago," said Hugh MacIsaac, an expert on invasive aquatic species at the University of Windsor.

"And here on the other hand we still have people shipping these things around as though it's legal and advisable, and it's neither."

The Great Lakes Fishery Commission says Asian carp are "a significant threat" to the lakes. They can grow up to almost a metre in length and weigh up to 40 kilograms, compete for food with native species and would eventually become the dominant fish in the lakes.

Asian carp have moved steadily northward after escaping from a Mississippi River fish farm that flooded in the early 1990s. Despite attempts to block their progress with things like electric barriers, the carp have been spotted about 65 kilometres from Lake Michigan.

Video of Asian carp jumping into boats has been a YouTube staple for years.

It's been against the law to possess live Asian carp in Ontario since 2005.

Customs agents did not give details about the seizures because the investigation was still open. But the discoveries spurred MacIsaac to wonder if border agents were catching all the shipments. He called for heavy fines against violators. The largest fine so far was $60,000 for a second offence.

The Detroit News reported that despite the 2005 ban, demand remains high for the fish in Toronto's Asian markets.

"The concern, of course, is that the carp will get entrenched here," Jolanta Kowalski, a spokeswoman with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, told the Detroit News. "And they've got a history that's not a good one in terms of what they do once they're established."See More

We've been seeing them for years in the oxbows off the mississippi river where we crappie fish... at first it wasn't that bad but now it's out of control big time! So i'm guessing from the article that the fish were being exported out of the US and into Canada?

These fish SUCK and are everywhere I go on our rivers in St. Louis.

What the article doesn't answer (unless I've missed it) is WHY ARE THEY SMUGGLING/SHIPPING THESE FISH? They're worthless and devastating when alive!

they are miserable Fender! I've a lot of friends that commercially fish them on the Illinois river back home and it is quite lucrative when exporting them. Unfortunately, they only fish them because they have destroyed all other native species!

I don't know the difference in the carp species but last summer, we caught two carps in the Eastern Sierras which was the first time for us in many years of fishing there.

Hats off to the Border Guards. We sure don't want those things in the Great Lakes, or anywhere else for that matter.

Latest posts