I need your guys help quitting smoking, finally...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM56alum

Reaction score
Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, F
Ok guys i need your help on this one, every one says quit for your self or your loved ones, well iv quit before for both and started back up after a short period of time. This time around i need some serious support from you guys, i know i can quit and i know im going to but i need some help staying off smoking lol

I will be smoking all week on my vacation from the 15th through the 19th while im in florida with my family, but starting the 20th i will not be smoking im quiting cold turkey no patches none of the pills i want to be completely off the stuff. Looked in my trash in the garage and the floorboard of my truck theres like 5 or 10 empty packs of smokes in the garage trash and 4 or 5 empty packs in the floorboard of my truck, each of those are 5.75 each thats not even 2% of what i smoke per year, So once i do quit 100% of the money that i would have spent on cig's will be put into a savings account for when we move in the future. I want to do this for my self and my family's future and i know it's going to be extremely hard to do it but im willing to.

So heres the deal, every day im going to make a post in this thread on if i smoked or if i didnt and im going to keep track of the days that im free of smoking, im going to do this for 3 months untill the urge goes away and once im done posting i know im going to be completely over smoking.

Thanks for your support and i know i can do this!

I'll tell you how I did it. I smoked for about 15 years, then quit for over two years. I ashamed to say that I've started doing it again now but a pack now lasts me several days instead of just one.

I initially quit on December 29th. It was the first time I tried and was really serious about it. I didn't know if I had the will power to do it but I knew that I really wanted to this time. The first 3 days are the hardest. On my third day after stopping I was about to go crazy. I decided to light one up to get some relief from what I was feeling because it had gotten the best of me. As soon as I took the first draw I instantly felt a feeling of relief wash over me. I was afraid that since I gave in and lit up that I was doomed for failure but that wasn't the case. That just got my mind of the constant nagging urge and gave me a chance to somewhat recuperate from the withdrawal. After that, I went another 3 days without smoking, and on the third day, remembering the relief I felt by giving in 3 days prior, I decided to try it again. The difference this time was that my body had for the most part now adjusted to going without nicotine. I didn't feel that same rush of relief that I did the first time I caved. I knew then that my body was "over it", and the rest was just mental. Figuring out the current cravings were basically just in my mind gave me the confidence to tough it out from then on, and for over two years after that I never touched one. For some reason being out on the boat fishing was the biggest trigger for my cravings. If you can get past that part you've got it whipped.

It's a mental game. Here's my story:

I smoked for over twenty years. At the end, it was three pack a day plus! I tried quitting many times and failed many times. I finally decided to quit using a filtering system that was a three week program (over the counter). During the second week, one of my favorite idols, Sammy Davis Jr., died of throat cancer and that was all it took. That day, I threw away all of my cigarettes and associated items into the trash and have not touched one since.

Good luck. I'm sure anyone who is close to you will offer as much support as you need!

Thanks guys, iv cut back alot over the last year i was at 2 1/2 packs aday down to a pack every couple of days and i know alot of that has to do with the fact im not working in a shop any more where i can light up every 10 min, im behind a parts counter now and i dont have the option to light up as much, which is good in the long run. The fishing is the one thats gonna suck the most cause i smoke alot while im on the boat and i know my wife hates it because she will tell me to stop smoking so much because i swear i will light up every half an hour and she will tell me " You just smoked you can wait! " well half the time i dont even know im doing it i just light up because it's a habbit and im not even craving a smoke, i honestly rarely ever crave a cig because i never wait long enough inbetween cigs to actually crave one..

My dad smoked for 30+ years and he quit an gained 170 lbs in the first year and ever since has had problem with his weight and his health associated with over eating, thats my main fear is going from one unhealthy vice to another. Mine is beer, i use to have a really bad drinking problem i would drink a 12 pack a night of coors light and i kicked that to maybe a beer or 2 a week with a neighbor and thats all.

I want my addiction to either be my wife or my boat.... err most likely the boat lol

YOU CAN DO IT!

I started smoking when I was fifteen. I am now fiftyone. In all those years I quit three times. The first time for two years. A divorce and custody battle had me back at it. Really that's just an excuse.

The second time was for three months because my current wife was having surgery and had to stop until after. I was supporting her.

This time, which has been one month so far is also in support of my wife. Medical tests have determined that if she does not quit smoking she won't be with me as long as we both would like. She says I don't need to, but I know my wife. If i'm smoking she will to. I have never had a problem stopping. I just do it. No patches, pills, etc. My wife is on the patch.

It does not matter how you do it. It only matters that you want to do it. I believe that's what helps you accomplish most things.
I am going to follow your thread as motivation for myself and to watch your progress.

Good Luck and Have a Great Vacation

It's mind over matter grasshopper. A strong mind will win.

Go get 'em.

Last time I smoked was over 25 years ago. (Thank God, someone put me out) :LOL2:

You may think it's hogwash but my step-dad actually got hypnotized after smoking for 20+ years. He went to a hypnotism appointment and then they gave him audio tapes to listen to as he slept for the following couple of weeks. Of course he also wanted to quit and was very determined to drop the habit, but he hasn't touched a cigarette in over 10 years now... Good luck and stay strong!

hey catfish: lets do some math here.
lets assume you smoke 1 1/2 pks. a day, for 34 yrs.
$8.65 a day x 365 days= $3,157.25 per yr. x 34 yrs. =$107,346.50 (and that figure will be a lot more, because of price increases)
now aside from the money; the health risk, shortness of breath, and other smoking related issues, should be considered.
now this will create another problem. if you quit. what do you do with the extra money, in the extra years you will probablly live.
I could suggest buying a FEW NEW TINBOATS! and an occasional new truck to tow them. :D

HOPE THIS HELPS! and if you get the urge [-X !!!
GOOD LUCK!

Hey Catfish,
I quit 24 years ago at the age of 36....smoked 2 1/2 paks a day of Salems. I went COLD TURKEY - and it was BRUTAL !! At first I thought about cigarettes constantly ( and I mean that). You find that every where you look, there is something to remind you of smoking, ( another smoker, a butt on the ground, when you stop to get gas they are behind the counter). But I decided that I really was going to try and kick the habit....In the beginning it was minute by minute, then hour by hour ( that stage didn't come for me until about 2 months into quitting !!)
At about the 4 month stage, my smell cleared up and I finally realized how bad the smell of smoke hangs in your clothes, your hair,your home, your car, etc.,etc.,etc. At this point , I bought the 2 secretaries in my office a dozen flowers each along with a nice lunch, and apologized to them for how much I must have intruded on them when I smoked in thier office ( neither of them smoked).
It took me YEARS to finally overcome the urge to smoke. And I know I was a total BEAR to my wife for the first year or so!! Just short tempered, snappy, on edge...all because of the addiction to nicotine. ANd make NO MISTAKE about it it IS an ADDICTION!
I used ( and still use) wrigley chewing gum to substitute one habit for another....I was very, very lucky, because it worked for me.. ANd whatever you use that works for you, GO FOR IT!! The patch, nicotine gum, accupuncture, hypnosis find something and stick to it....hang in there man...it will be very hard...but you CAN do it !!! YOU CAN DO IT !!!

I smoked for about 35 years and tomorrow marks 4 years since I quit. I quit cold turkey too. No pills, no patches, no nicotine gum. It wasn't easy but what worked for me was a 1 day at a time thing. I would just do something else when I started thinking about smoking. The end of the first day I just said to myself -- I made it one day. Then it was made through the next day. I just built on that until I didn't think about how many days it had been. It may not work for everyone but it worked for me.

Do whatever it takes for you to make it. You can do it. You will feel better, food will taste better and you can smell things again. Plus as you mentioned the money savings can buy a lot of gear, a new motor...boat or whatever. Good luck!!!

I smoked for 40 years trying to quit many times. Im quit 4 mounths ago today. Chantex worked for me. The theory was to pick a date to quit in the future, start the med 1 week before you quit and continue the med for 5 more weeks.The commercials says it works for 44% of people, thank God Im 1 of them. I truly do not miss it at all.Do what ever it takes, I'm rooting for you to....River

post when you have quit. Each day, each hr,.....post when your are a quitter!

I am a quitter!

Good Luck!!!

those first 2 weeks are brutal,then it gets real easy real quick. coming up on 6 years now.i just wish the wife would quit.it was really tough quitting while she still smokes.

I also have a smoking problem. Quit when I went into the service in 69 because I didn't have a choice. Didn't smoke again until about 75. Been at it ever since. Tried to quit once about 1980 but only made it about 3 months. The wife says I quit about 20 times a pack, but that just doesn't seem to have much humor to it any more. Going to try the Chantex (spelling) thing and hope for the best.

8 more days guys, i ran out of smokes last night half way through workin on this dudes truck. I told my self im not going to make a special trip to go buy any or send my wife to buy me some so i sucked it up MAN was i pissy by the end of the night, i feel bad for my wife an kids come the 20th because it's going to be really hard not to lose my temper.

Ok guys yesterday was my first day not smoking, i had one at 8am yesterday and crumpled the pack up an threw it in the garbage...

about 7 hours later i was so freaking close to going an digging in the trash for that pack of cigs, man i hate this feeling everytime i go outside i wanna light up, i take the dog for a walk i wanna light up, i get in the truck i wanna light up... hell i bone my wife i wanna light up I HATE THIS FEELING!!!!!!!!!!

remind me what's so bad about smoking ?!

Latest posts