Have any of you folks tried any of the new Shimano Spinning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigUn

Reaction score
reels that "Claim" to almost do away with line twist on spinning reels? I'd kind of like to try one but dang, they sure aren't pricing them for us old retired Hillbillies on a pension! Would sure like to hear what you think of them if you've been lucky enough to try one. Thanks for your time.

A few of us on this forum have the new Symetre - including me.

I use braided line so I never have a problem with twist anyway, so I cannot help you there.

I think Fishin NJ has mono or floro on his so he might have an opinion

Heck, I got line twist spooling it up. I'm sure they are referring to less line twist during use. Now I have to trail 100 yds of 4lb test behind the boat to fix the twist I have now. Good thing you get 2 spools with it. I was more carefuller spooling the second one. If this snow ever stops I'll be getting my trailer lights back on (converting to LED) so I can get out and do some fishing.

The only difference between the stock lights and the LED ones is the shape of the outside edge. The originals had a curved edge and the LED's are squared off. I held them up to the trailer and you can't even tell they aren't the originals. I did notice the LED's have a smooth lens whereas the originals had a textured lens. That should really put out some light. I abandoned the idea of stringing white LEDs on the bottom of my frame because the ones I was gonna use would have had a lot of wires that could get snagged on crap. I'll see what these do for lighting the ramp before I pursue other options. Pictures will follow installation.

I use Shimano spinning reels almost exclusively, except for a few Okuma baitrunners, which I will probally upgrade soon after smokin one last week shad fishing and a couple pfluger presidents (which are awesome for the price by the way). I have a few symetres, a few stradics, a stradic mg and a few sustains. I like em all and have very few problems, if any with them. I use Suffix mono (seige is the best mono I have ever used), power pro and suffix braid and I am still trying differant flouros to see which I like the best.
I have caught some large fish on the small shimanos with light line and their drags still work great, bearings still spin smooth, everything works like it should.
I have never needed service on any of them yet (knock on wood), but I hear their customer service is second to none, which is very important.

BigUn;-IMHO you will never do away with "LineTwist". Having said that, Shimano & Diawa have modified, as much as possible I believe, the "dreaded line twist" by increasing the diameter of the line roller and changing its angle relative to the spool. I have been using Shimano tackle (FX-Stella)for over 20 years and have never had a serious problem with any of my reels. I have, however,switched from monofilament and flurocarbon lines to the "superlines" Fireline and PowerPro on all of my spinning reels because their limpness even further mitigates the effects of line twist. If I need help with spooky, lineshy fish,I will use a leader of mono or fluro. If you are thinking to invest in a reel which is not priced for "old, retired hillbillies on a pension". Treat it as just that,- an investment in your personal pleasure which, with proper care,will serve you for the rest of your life. I agree with BIG_DAVE_E that Shimano's customer service is "second to none". Good luck with your new reel!!! Regards;-Shimanoman