Auto Mechanic question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Opinion needed from a auto mechanic, I'm just starting on figuring this thing out but for the last 3 months my front wheel drive mini van has been making a humming/whinning sound from the front end say left side I believe. I'm hoping it's a bearing issue not a trans issue!

It starts at 30 mph and continues to increase in tone/pitch as the van goes faster, it does not go along with rpm's of the engine, it only goes along with the vans speed.

I just put brand new tires on it yesterday and it still does it! Actually seems louder now, I guess because of a quiter ride from new tires.

Would you think it maybe axle issues and if so what do I look for to confirm it?

Any help will help me, I usually do most repairs myself(poor boy here) but I'm not familiar with front drive vehicles. Its a 1998 Toyota sienna van 6cyd

Sounds like it could be a unitized wheel bearing going south, although it's usually described more as a "growl" noise than a whine.

Could be a CV joint but that is less likely.

Does the noise change when you are on a left of right turn?

while driving you need to "load" each side to really tell which side it's coming from.....basicly at a slow speed say 30 or so slightly jerk the wheel to the right which will load the left and the to left will load the right.....if it gets louder than sure enough it's a wheel bearing.....easy to do.....or you could jack up the front end and see if there is any play in the bearing....if there is any play don't get tricked by a loose tie rod end or a ball joint...if it's bad enough you will have play with your hands on top and bottom as well as on front and back of the tires(most of time)

Have not paid attention to the sound changing when I turn left or right, so I will check it out. I'm use to knowing what a wheel bearing sounds like going out and to me this doesn't sound like one. But again I admitt I've never had to work on a front wheel drive suspension.

At first I thought something was rubbing against something like maybe a splash guard or debree caught. Lol it almost sounds like a electric golf cart or something like that. At this point let me mention once at 30 mph when it starts up its not a constant humm it is on and off, only when you get about 45 mph it rotates so fast it finally sounds constant.

Jack it up and spin each wheel individually. Probally a dry cv. Wheel bearing usually are noticeable all the time from the start of movement. With that said drivetrain noise is very decieving most of the time.

I would check the CV joints and boots while you have it jacked up, if the boots are torn or have slipped off, dirt will get in there and eventually ruin the CV joints. Need to post up what type of van, year, make, etc., additional info might help.

TNtroller said:
I would check the CV joints and boots while you have it jacked up, if the boots are torn or have slipped off, dirt will get in there and eventually ruin the CV joints. Need to post up what type of van, year, make, etc., additional info might help.

Its a 1998 Toyota sienna van 6cyd

Like said before need to get them front tires off the ground and have somebody run it up to speed. A stethascope ( $20 ) will come in handy to pinpoint the noise

CV Joints on front wheel drive, will they have grease fittings like ball joints?

I'll still check this out after work today

FishingBuds said:
CV Joints on front wheel drive, will they have grease fittings like ball joints?

I'll still check this out after work today

Normally no, you'll have to replace full assembly.

Jack it up and check for excess amount of slop for bearing. With out hearing it or seeing it, most of above suggestions are on course for correct diagnostic.

No, the cv's are greased and sealed with the boot. You will see the grease trail if the boot tore.

You can use a long screwdriver held up to your ear to help find the noise if a stethqscope isn't available. Id check your front hubs first. Worn cv's usually pop and clunk in turns

Yea I've used the screw driver trick befor so I will do it on this, I know nothing's clinking or clunking when I turn but I still will see if the pitch changes when I turn.

I will also look into my caliper, just check things I know, again I'm a little weak on knowledge for front wheel suspensions

Loggerhead Mike said:
Like said before need to get them front tires off the ground and have somebody run it up to speed. A stethascope ( $20 ) will come in handy to pinpoint the noise

OH GOOD GOD DON'T DO THIS!

That's a good way for a shadetree Mech to win a Darwin award!

There is a very big difference between doing this in a shop on a lift compared to the driveway.

Even just the awareness of what components are rotating and where you are is in question if you don't work on this type of thing for a living.

One slip or putting your hand somewhere not thinking and you're broken, maimed or dead.

If you're to this point trying to find it, for pete's sake bite the bullet and just take it to a shop.

great white said:
Loggerhead Mike said:

There is a very big difference between doing this in a shop on a lift compared to the driveway.

Even just the awareness of what components are rotating and where you are is in question if you don't work on this type of thing for a living.

One slip or putting your hand somewhere not thinking and you're broken, maimed or dead.

If you're to this point trying to find it, for pete's sake bite the bullet and just take it to a shop.

+1

Cv grease breaks down with heat, it doesnt have to have a ripped boot to have a wore cv joint from broke down grease, and i wasnt talking spinning with the engine, hard to spin each wheel individually with the engine:). Spin them by hand you should be able to hear the difference.

Bugpac said:
Cv grease breaks down with heat, it doesnt have to have a ripped boot to have a wore cv joint from broke down grease, and i wasnt talking spinning with the engine, hard to spin each wheel individually with the engine:). Spin them by hand you should be able to hear the difference.

he said the sound doesn't come in until about 30 mph so don't he will be able to spin it by hand that fast.....and have never heard of a cv shafts grease breaking down. but anything is possible i guess. sounds like a wheel bearing to me....

great white said:
Loggerhead Mike said:

Shadetree? I do this for a living thank you

What is the difference in a van on 4 jackstands in a driveway than a van on a 4 post lift
I'm sure he's got enough sense to be safe about it

Loggerhead Mike said:
great white said:
Loggerhead Mike said:

Shadetree? I do this for a living thank you

What is the difference in a van on 4 jackstands in a driveway than a van on a 4 post lift
I'm sure he's got enough sense to be safe about it

Welcome to the club, so do I.

I wasn't calling you a shadetree by the way and no offence was intended. But the gent looking to do this is not a professional, hence "shadetree".

I wouldn't assume the OP knows what he's doing (no offense to the OP either). Maybe it might happen on a jack, maybe on two jack stands, maybe he may or may not have the presence of mind to set the park brake, maybe on two or four on asphalt, maybe or maybe not check the ratings on the jack stands or just prop it up on blocks (all bad scenarios) or that he has the presence of mind to not get his shirt caught or stick his hand in behind a spinning tire or get too close while trying to use that stethoscope...

In other words, it's not a safe thing do do if you've only got a general idea of what's going on.

I've been doing this for 28 years. 10 years as a full time profession, on and off for the next 18. I moved on to aircraft at the 10 year mark but still work on vehicles when needed by friends and family (which is a lot more than I though it would ever be) or they need a hand at the local shop where my friends work... and I don't feel comfortable around a running car in drive and a spinning tire up on a lift....keeps me in one piece.

Latest posts