The Gestapo is at it again............

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
No, not really, but my condo association is at it again. Here's a quote from a notice I received today:

"During a recent walk through of the grounds, our management representative found:

Thank you for doing the needed repairs to your garage door, however, it appears that your garage door was completely replaced. If this is so, please fill our the enclosed ARC application for our files. This is a violation of the Rules & Regulations. Please correct this violation within 4 days."

The door meets their requirements down to the exact material and Dunn Edwards color coding.

I need to get out of this three ring circus soon. :roll:

Sounds like youv'e been singled out. Did you piss someone off? I could never live anywhere with any type of H.O.A. of any kind. My feeling is if you own or are buying a place you should be able to do as you wish. Try painting it bright red and see what they think of that.

No way I could live there without being in violation. So what happens if you don't assimilate?

I've never minded a few common sense rules (IE; no derelict cars over a week, etc), but that just sounds rediculous.

You fixed a garage door and they're po'd?

"For Sale"......

They don't cite any particular rules or regulations you've violated or what you are supposed to do to "correct" the "violation".

If you remove the existing garage door will that work for them ?? Will they then replace the door correctly ?? :?

I'd ask questions and stonewall them as long as possible while enlisting other residents via petition to get them to back off or at least explain what their problem is. I'm not sure, but if you don't do anything and they start assessing fines, I believe their only recourse is to place a lien against your condo that can't be collected until you sell.

Thanks for the replies. I just needed to vent.

The association has never returned any calls to me. I'm the one who always has to track down their manager who only works in the office for four hours a day. The other four hours are spent "in the field.........", so, today I'm heading out to their corporate office to take care of this personally.

Funny thing, it's taking them over two years to repair a broken patio fence/gate. It's still not complete.

great white said:
I've never minded a few common sense rules (IE; no derelict cars over a week, etc), but that just sounds rediculous.

"For Sale"......
the key words: : "COMMON SENSE
here's a good example: could only put up a 24X24 building without a zoning variance. needed to get a variance for a 32X48, but could have built ten 24X24 buildings in a row, and been in compliance! GO FIGURE :roll:

overboard said:
great white said:

"For Sale"......
here's a good example: could only put up a 24X24 building without a zoning variance. needed to get a variance for a 32X48, but could have built ten 24X24 buildings in a row, and been in compliance! GO FIGURE :roll:
Some years back This Old House was doing a remodel that included a free standing garage. If they tore down the old garage the new code would only allow a carport. What they did was tear down all but one post of the old garage and build the new garage around the one old post. After it passed inspection they replaced the old post.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
overboard said:
great white said:

"For Sale"......
Some years back This Old House was doing a remodel that included a free standing garage. If they tore down the old garage the new code would only allow a carport. What they did was tear down all but one post of the old garage and build the new garage around the one old post. After it passed inspection they replaced the old post.
here's a good one! someone decided they didn't like the looks of a local salvage yard, and that they had to put a "FENCE or some type of barrier" around it. they did, by piling crushed cars on top of one another around the whole outside of the yard. :lol: :lol: :lol: someone should have kept their mouth shut. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HOA is dumb as dirt, buncha fat useless old people sitting around nit picking at every little thing thats done. I'v gone round an round with ours about my boat being parked in the driveway over night during the summer, Im sorry if the **** thing is loaded ready to go hitched to the truck an im leaving at 3 am im sure as hell not hitching it then. Some one sent me a letter i sent one back return to sender saying kiss my *** i pay my dues mind your own bussiness, I havent gotten a letter back in awhile.

nomowork said:
No, not really, but my condo association is at it again. Here's a quote from a notice I received today:

"During a recent walk through of the grounds, our management representative found:

Thank you for doing the needed repairs to your garage door, however, it appears that your garage door was completely replaced. If this is so, please fill our the enclosed ARC application for our files. This is a violation of the Rules & Regulations. Please correct this violation within 4 days."

The door meets their requirements down to the exact material and Dunn Edwards color coding.

I need to get out of this three ring circus soon. :roll:
Yep. I call 'em the Nosy Patrol.
This is the reason I would not willingly enter into an HOA arrangement. Some people feel the need for the security, decorum and "sense of belonging" these groups offer. When pressed, however, this inevitably breaks down to "keeping out the riff-raff."

Sorry, I'm not any better than the next guy. I Just Say No To HOA's.

Alrighty then, I went to the associations headquarters this morning in person. I think they were in shock as the manager didn't want to come down from her glass tower so she sent her "assistant". That stupid form they wanted me to fill out was just something saying that I replaced the door and the work is done. I requested a copy of it with the person's name, date and time they received it. :roll: You would think they could have deduced that from just looking at it. Duh and double duh. :lol:

Yeah they can be a pain in the butt..most half decent neighborhoods around here have an hoa...I don't mind. It does keep the crime in those areas down and gets you a pool. ;)

Jdholmes said:
Yeah they can be a pain in the butt..most half decent neighborhoods around here have an hoa...I don't mind. It does keep the crime in those areas down and gets you a pool. ;)

Our "security patrol" is a joke. The first security guy wouldn't even help me confront someone who kept parking in my space. I eventually called a tow truck and when the owner came out to complain about it being hooked up I told the owner to go and deal with the tow truck driver because that car is now his. The guard was hiding around the corner of the building!

The second guard wasn't much better. He told me that he issued a warning to someone parking in my space. Yeah right, because that guy kept on parking there until I told him about the towing service that is contracted here.

Now we have a third new guard. I hope he's better than the first two but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest posts