Gas is going through the roof! sigh...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigkat650

Reaction score
Recent projections are placing gas prices over $5.00 a gallon come summer in a lot of places in the U.S. has got me bumming... I'm just glad I'm not running a big ol' cabin cruiser getting >2mpg. :cry:

Not to get everyone in a damper, but if projections pan out-- I'm curious as to whether your wallet or your time on the water will be take the bigger hit?

For me... probably the wallet... Its my first summer with a boat, and I plan on using it come heck or high water! :LOL2:

Yeah I know..... getting closer to $4 here in PA. I just paid $3.69 tonight. If there is an upside to all of this it would have to be that there are less pleasure boats on the water flying around while you are trying to fish.

I went to the Costco gas station two days ago and it was $3.93/gallon for regular. They are usually about 10 to 15 cents cheaper than other gas stations around the area. I passed one gas station today near a freeway on ramp and self service gas was $4.85/gallon! :shock: Another gas station a few blocks away was $4.17/gallon.

G is for gouging!

if diesel gets too out of hand i might put me a hidden tank in and start running off-road diesel :twisted:

It's gone up twice this week - from 3.47 to 3.55 at the one I use...some are slightly higher.

I actually find our Costco doesn't save us any money on gas most days...ticks me off a little. I actually paid more there one day - really ticked me off when I realized it.

I can't imagine us getting to the five dollar point, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing I have seen. We were pretty much paying that in Canada when we left...the highest I think it got where we were was like $1.42 a liter...not sure what that is in gallons.

the old adage.. "pay to play".

I know the majority of the world isn't concerned for Americans and our addiction to gas. They aren't concerned about if we have gas for the 4 wheelers/boats/big trucks etc.. It is our addiction and the oil companies American/Foreign have learned we will pay to play.

And as much as i complain about gas prices, were still way cheaper than most of the world has been for years.

https://flowingdata.com/2011/03/22/are-gas-prices-really-that-high/

Yeah....that's why most of the world isn't concerned with you guys. ;).

And by the way, Canada and Mexico are in America too. ;). The rest of the world isn't concerned about the US. ;)

When I bought my boat, motor, trailer I was looking at bigger rigs with bigger motor. I decided that I would like to fish when I wanted to fish no matter what the price of gas. I went a little smaller and am glad I did. My rig is a 16' Alweld with a 50 hp Johnson on it. I have 12 gallon tank. I have had my boat for 10 years. Hopefully when the motor quits I can just keep the boat and maybe put a 60 hp on it. I would also suppose that the motors made today have to be a bit more fuel efficient than they were 10 years ago.

I will fish and pay the $5 per gallon price. I will keep working as long as I can, if for nothing else so I can fish when I want to.

Meh, 8 hp johnson.

Don't really care how high it goes for the boat.

Now diesel for the truck, well.......... :roll:

Snitzel said:
When I bought my boat, motor, trailer I was looking at bigger rigs with bigger motor. I decided that I would like to fish when I wanted to fish no matter what the price of gas. I went a little smaller and am glad I did. My rig is a 16' Alweld with a 50 hp Johnson on it. I have 12 gallon tank. I have had my boat for 10 years. Hopefully when the motor quits I can just keep the boat and maybe put a 60 hp on it. I would also suppose that the motors made today have to be a bit more fuel efficient than they were 10 years ago.

I will fish and pay the $5 per gallon price. I will keep working as long as I can, if for nothing else so I can fish when I want to.

Ditto here, I had a 17 foot bass tracker I was planning on restoring but I got rid of it and opted for a 1542 with a 25hp Evinrude so gas prices won't even slow me down. I also have a Geo Tracker I am working on getting setup to tow with that should help save even more... I am however hoping that it will keep the **** wake board boats out of the river its absolutely ridiculous when they come by rolling 3 foot wakes. :x

Ha agreed! I hate when I am fishing or headed to my fishing spot and some big pleasure boat flies right past me. Their wake sends me for one heck of a ride. And it isn't every person that is out on the water just a select few who don't care.

I'm in the market for a used late model van to convert into a fishing machine hauler for our long range tow trips. Higher gas prices should mean better prices for me, I hope.

the wife has a company gas card,i usually carpool to work with the company trucks,or my own company truck,and my boat runs on 15 hp.i will spend a lot on gas on my summer fishing trip,maybe 1000 miles but thats it. gas is expected to hit $ 1.60 a litre by summer.

$1.39 a liter here($5.28/gallon),broke down and bought my first 4cylinder car(ford focus).Full size truck might be the next thing to downsize,good thing the tinny is light.

JamesM56alum said:
No matter how bad gas prices get i wont get rid of my truck, iv got a little saturn 4cyl that gets about 38 mpg which i never drive because i dont like being that close to the ground feels like im riding in a gokart.

x2... my Jimmy is about as small of a vehicle I ever plan to own.

I'm sure prices will go up this summer, just like they do every year. But for the past 5+ years I've heard the 5 bucks a gallon prediction and I have NEVER paid that much for gas. Not saying it won't happen, just saying I'm sick of hearing about it :roll:

Latest posts