Great now my hours are getting cut!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM56alum

Reaction score
Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, F
K so i found out today my hours are getting cut from 40+ down to 20, but keep in mind ONLY MINE! not the other meat head that sits right beside me that has about half the experience i do an sits an plays on face book all day while i answer all the **** phones clean the store an help all the customers, But what really frosts my nipples is he makes more than i do now simply because hes old friends with the family who owns this store... Dont get me wrong i love my job and i know things are slow right now an thats fine but **** dude atleast give us equal hours not shove it directly up my *** with out even spitting on it first..

Can i get a kiss when we're done or what ?

Id check to see what unemployment pays. It might be better to be unemployed. You have been paying into it, sometimes you need to use it.

I don't know how yall do it down here but up in Canada you aren't eligible for unemployment if you quit - and IMO you shouldn't be. Quitting is your choice. Just get a second gig till it picks up again.

You can get partial unemployment to make up for your lost wages. Go for it, you can work 20 hours and get paid for 40, now go wipe those frosty nipples and eat apple :mrgreen:

James, why so shy, quiet and reserved? Open up a little and tell us how you really feel :LOL22: As said before, check into partial unemployment untill things pick up. Hang in there.

Jdholmes said:
I don't know how yall do it down here but up in Canada you aren't eligible for unemployment if you quit - and IMO you shouldn't be. Quitting is your choice. Just get a second gig till it picks up again.

Not exactly correct.

You can quit and collect UI in Canada (assuming you meet the weeks of work criteria and whatnot), but your disqualification period is longer than if you were fired/laid off.

Well im going to suck it up for a couple of weeks to see how things go, if my hours dont go back to 40 in 2 weeks im staying part time here, i talked to a couple of shops in the area that know me an they'er slow as hell but i told them i'd float from shop to shop if need be picking up odd jobs, hey its work an it pays to turn wrenches here it will also give me more time in a shop to get my additional ASE certs, my only issue is why the hell is it happening now that we're trying to save money to move back to fla. The wife is freaking out right now an she knows i can find another job that isnt the issue but the issue is the saving money because if we get behind on bills again then all the money we saved is POOF gone. :|

You've probably already done this but have you done any searching for a new job where you want to move?

You could get lucky and find an employer who is willing to foot part of the move bill.

Other than that, grab all the small piece meal work you can and build that fund.

It's a lot of PITA and hard work, but you have a goal which makes it easier to stomach...

Jdholmes said:

Here you can quit and collect but only if the job separation is through no fault of your own.

The general standard is that if you quit you must show that you have good cause (phased differently by each state) AND you did everything possible other then quit.

Carry on

Probably the same up there, seems in most cases quitting would be hard to prove that with. anywho..
I have always been a fan of working your butt off and doing what you have to do to get by.

Jdholmes said:
Probably the same up there, seems in most cases quitting would be hard to prove that with. anywho..

There are lost of instances where you can quit your job and receive unemployment insurance compensation:

In most states - because of a Doctor's orders; due to illegal activities ordered by the employer (discrimination, etc.), to accept another job that then falls through, to take care of an ill family members

The key is that you have to try EVERYTHING other then to quit your job 1st.

Also, call us! :D

K question i owe the state of minnesota 5k for unemployment because the company i worked for that laid me off previously held my last check which was only 120 bucks for PTO i didnt know i had, they sent it to me almost 6 months after i was laid off then i get a letter from the state of minnesota stating i have to repay back every cent of unemployment i collected in that time between me being laid off an me reciving the check because they claim i was employed during that time because i reviced that is there anything i can do to fight this ? I even talked to a lawyer about it and it's not something they can touch so apparently it's writen in stone and im "SOL" man iv had nothing but problems since i'v moved till this pos state, i hate it here this state is aboslutely worthless in every way, the weather suck the people are assholes too many people from over seas that cant speak english traffic sucks cost of living is unreal an the government does it's best to bend ya over an shove it balls deep.

God i cant wait to get out of this freaking state!

Jdholmes said:
I have always been a fan of working your butt off and doing what you have to do to get by.

Nope.

As I said, you serve a longer disqualification of benefits period but you still collect.

The reason for quitting makes no difference.

I have no idea how you gents down south do it though....

Let's be sure we know why our employers have turn into tight wads!

Friggen economy!

So I'm always told, your lucky your full time still, or my favorite- thank the Lord you have a job. Well I'm thankful but I wonder some times with the constant h$ll we go thru there, always on your back for lean manufacturing/ cutting cost/ give up your perks so you still have a job to come to and another favorite of mine is "don't lose the customer"!, I mean really don't lose the customer?? Am I an idiot here? Should I know how important not losing a customer is??

So since 2008 I have been rushed to the ER for heart trouble, I'm on blood pressure for the first time and mellow pills! I'm on medacation for the first time because of the job pressure and again who's put us in this state if desperation?

Vote smart thus year maybe I can get off my meds lol!

Ok I'm done, feel a little better or it's my happy pill!

Jdholmes said:
I don't know where you are in Canada but the reason definitely does matter...

Nope.

You may not be entitled to receive EI regular benefits if you:

voluntarily left your employment without just cause;
were dismissed for misconduct; or
are unemployed because you are directly participating in a labour dispute (strike, lockout, or other type of dispute).

See the words "may not"?

Loophole.

I know of no one who's ever quit their job (whether it was working conditions or just had enough of flipping burgers/shoveling/etc), applied for UI and didn't get it.

Including myself.

However, the "waiting period" is often double (or more) what it is if you loose your employment "through no fault of your own".

Now, let's be frank here;

Anyone who quits their job has reason to. No one quits a job where the work environment is safe and happy and the hours and pay are reasonable to collect UI where you only get 55% of your former wage and have to jump through a dozen hoops every week/month to keep collecting.

They quit because the conditions are poor/hazardous, they are overworked, feel threatened, are being cut back/underpaid or they have another job lined up.

All just causes for leaving the job and qualifiers for UI in Canada.

Now, if you had a reasonable job, came in one day and said "phuk it, I quit" or sock you boss in the mouth for no reason.......sure, you're probably disqualified on your application.

You're also probably a doofus and/or 16 years old.....

Anyways, we're waaaayy off the original topic and have pretty much entered "hijack" territory so I'm done.

Ciao.

Latest posts