Any walleye hunters here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouran01

Reaction score
Finally got the boat river worthy (ofcourse not done) and gonna get out before season closes. Thing is, I'm super new to the cold water fishing and have almost no clue where to start. Any one got tips or reccomendations for gettin started on walleye fishing?

I live for big eye fishing. :D
Males should be setting up for prespawn and be somewhat aggressive. At this time or yr in open water, I would vertically jig with lead head and minnow. I would use light as lead head as could get away with, depending on current and depth. I would look for sandy points with deeper water close by. During day work deep side, Close to sunset work shallower. Also could cast shallows around sunset and retrieve very slow popping it off bottom every little bit. Could also try lindy rig with minnow in deep trolling very slow. If they are not hitting hard & feel some taps, give them line for few seconds let them inhale it, then set hook. If you have little current it is a plus.

Best tip I can offer to someone new to cold water fishing is to always fish with a buddy, wear you PFD at all times and stay out of the water !!!

Good luck, but do be careful. Cold water is deadly and will suck the energy from the strongest person in minutes, rendering them unable to help themself or assist other in helping them.

Latest posts