Bass Pro Shops® XPS® Fluorocarbon Fishing Line???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigUn

Reaction score
Any of you gents used any of Bass Pro Shops® XPS® Signature Series Fluorocarbon Fishing Line? I'm sort of wanting to get some Fluorocarbon Line but not wanting to take out a loan to buy it. This seems like it is the best price I can find. If it's any good that is. Good price on junk line is sure no bargain either. How bout it boys? What can ya'll tell me about this stuff? Thanks for your time.

JUNK JUNK JUNK.. I can't stand floro. I have lost so many fish on floro i stopped using it. if you fish weightless worms with circle hooks oit is okay. but if you need to cross the fishes eyes with a hook set your screwed...

that is my thought on it.. did I say junk!!!!

Wayne

I bought a spool right after Christmas. I like it, I use it when I fish a Shakey head which is about 95% of the time. I had trouble at first with it breaking at the knot then I found out you need to wet the line really good at the knot to cut down on friction.

Brad

I'm pretty new to this site, but think I've found a new home. So many of the fishing forums are so full of guys that all think they are the next Bill Dance or Roland Martin that they won't share information or help anyone out. I'm a retired, 58 year old, disabled fat man that fishes for fun. Just like I've been doing all my life. No longer have the strength or stamina to do many of things I used to take for granted. Besides, if you're working that hard at your fishing, you ain't havng as much fun as you could be!

I've heard mostly bad things about fluorocarbon line. Most of the bad is related to failure at the knot, but like jigfisherman said, you gotta lube it good when tightening the knot. I seem to have no problems with the Power Pro and Trilene mono so I don't see the need for venturing into the fluoro-land.

BigUn, where abouts you fish. I'm former USN as well, retired in '06 and fish in Northeastern Illinois.

I don't like the Bass Pro XPS Fluoro....

I do however use Fluoro exclusively for most of my fishing. I use Triple Fish Fluoro in 15# test. I fish a lot of logs, stumps, etc and it is very abrasion resistant. It casts a mile with an 1/8oz bullet weight, 4/0 EWG Owner hook, and my 7.5" Yum Ribbontail worms, and there is no memory. I have gotten what seems to be "defective" spools once or twice... you can tell if the line looks like it gets 90 degree angles after about 30-50 casts. That's why I always carry an extra spool with me. It still keeps its strength if you don't change it though. The biggest fish I've caught on it was 10lbs, and he put up one heck of a fight for about 3 minutes, and me not letting go of much drag for fear of it wrapping up in my trollling motors.

This stuff is pretty cheap too - I get 200 yards for about 12bucks. I just noticed Cabela's sells it online now. I used to could only get it from tacklewarehouse.com or a local bait shop. A local guide turned me on to it 3 years ago, and I haven't changed since. A bit of advice - improved clinch knot seems to work best for me, along with adding some spit right before pulling the knot. I've used the Palomer knot and it works well, but I really like the improved.

I do use P-Line Halo on my Daiwa Alphas Ito, 15# as well. It's the only line besides braid that it casts really well.

I recently read an article about floro lines. Basically, what the article said was that there are two different formulas - the one developed and used by Seaguar (the invented floro) and a few other and a lesser "knock off" formula. I use Seaguar but have heard some great things about other types of floro.

Oh yeah, I always use a floro leader but never for main line - that is a super braid.

I suggest getting Seaguar floro - that is the best

Well shoot ,I might as well say something myself...I personally like floro just because it is more sensitive than mono (i think so anyway) plus if you don't have slack in your line when you set the hook it's set!!
It does have a few disadvantages but all in all it's some pretty good stuff. I use Vanish gold line and also the clear stuff and they are about 10 or 12 bucks but you can keep the stuff on for at least two years w/out having to worry about it.
Just an opinion though,just like a rearend..................everybody has one :mrgreen:

This is my first post. I use 12lb P-Line Fluoro on my soft plastic rod. It has greater sensitivity and no stretch making it great for finesse worms. This stuff is inexpensive and it works great. However, I would suggest against using anything other that mono when fishing crankbaits.

redskinsfan360 said:
This is my first post. I use 12lb P-Line Fluoro on my soft plastic rod. It has greater sensitivity and no stretch making it great for finesse worms. This stuff is inexpensive and it works great. However, I would suggest against using anything other that mono when fishing crankbaits.

:WELCOME: aboard!

Thanks for joining! :beer:

This post is old, but if its okay with everyone i am going to dig it back up.

I am going to use A LOT more plastics, and hopefully find my first, and hundreth jig and pig fish. So i was thinking about picking up a new rod and reel, and Fluoro line for flippin' and pitchin'. I have been reading up on some line, and i think i will buy some P Line Halo, XPS, or Seaguar Carbon Pro. I know the advantages and disadvantages have been discussed already, but does anyone have anything else to add? Also, someone said they would not recommend using Fluoro for cranking, why is that? Wouldnt the sinking ability of the line give it the nose down approach that bass love? If anyone has anymore comments i would love to hear them.