Arkansas Largmouth bass record broken!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.bassmaster.com/news/new-largemouth-bass-record-set-arkansas

Largemouth%20state%20record49022.jpg

Largemouth%20state%20record48944.jpg

On 2 March 1976, Aaron Mardis of Memphis landed a 16.4 pound fish on Mallard Lake near Manila in Mississippi County, Arkansas. Yesterday Paul Crowder of Forrest City set the new record on Lake Dunn near Wynne with a 16.5 pounder. The fish measured 26.5 inches in length and had a girth of 22.75 inches.

Crowder broke the record using a plastic 6 inch tequila sunrise Mann's jelly worm with a bullet sinker and plastic rattle on an Enigma rod and reel combo loaded with Trilene 14 pound test line. Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Fisheries Biologist Lee Holt certified the fish on a certified scale at Hayes Market in Wynne. The record breaker was Crowder's only catch of the day and he estimated that it took him around eight minutes to land the fish. "I didn't have a net, so it took me five or six tries before I was able to lip it and get in the boat," he explained.

Crowder said that he had been fishing all day for catfish but had been unable to make a catch so he switched things up to add some bass fishing. "I made a cast and set the rod down to take a look at my catfish rods when I noticed the rod was just about out of the boat," he said. "I was able to grab it just before it went out of the boat," he added.

What a hog, and unlike the TN guy, he got it certified. That place is not too far from me, think I may have to check it out this year!

That record has stood for a LOOONG time... 37 years I think? That's only about 30-40 mins from my house and was really close to where I was stationed for my wildlife job last summer. Congrats to him!

I see he knows ow to take the classic 'fish tale' picture. ;)

Notice the second picture his arms are fully extended. With a decent sized fish it makes it look big...with that monster it makes if look insane. Haha

Crazy big bass.

Sad, terribly sad! :cry:

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/state-largemouth-bass-record-un-dunn

State largemouth bass record un-Dunn

WYNNE, Ark. – Less than two weeks after an Arkansas largemouth bass record apparently was set, an investigation by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission has revealed that the fish was caught illegally.

Paul Crowder of Forrest City claimed to have set the record Feb. 28 on Lake Dunn near Wynne. Crowder’s fish weighed 16 pounds, 5 ounces, which would have broken the record by an ounce.

The AGFC discovered that a license was purchased for Crowder three hours after he claimed to have caught the bass. Crowder’s fishing license expired in April 2011. Under AGFC regulations, it is illegal for any person 16 years of age or older to fish without possessing a current Arkansas fishing license. State record-fish rules require that an angler hold a valid license at the time of the catch.

Crowder has been charged with fishing without a license. He faces up to a $1,000 fine and up to 30 days in jail. The fish was seized as evidence by AGFC wildlife officers. Crowder has a court hearing March 19 in Wynne District Court.

Crowder’s fish would have broken the 36-year-old record set by the late Aaron Mardis of Memphis. Mardis set the state record March 2, 1976, with a 16-pound, 4-ounce largemouth caught on Mallard Lake near Manila in Mississippi County. Crowder’s fish was not fully certified as the state record by the AGFC’s director and chief of fisheries. The AGFC will continue to recognize the Mardis fish as the state record.

AGFC Chief of Fisheries Mark Oliver said he was disappointed that a bass large enough to be a state record can’t be certified because of illegal activity.

“At this time, we are still confident in the size and weight of the fish and proud that such a monster was produced in Arkansas waters,” Oliver said.

Crowder’s fish measured 26½ inches long and 22¾ inches in girth.

The 80-acre Lake Dunn is in Village Creek State Park in Cross County. The AGFC is testing the fish to determine the genetic strain of the bass.

That must have been why the fish is dead and he is not smiling! He knew he was a fraud. My grin would have been from ear to ear.

Now all I have to say is what Al Linder says, poachers aren't fisherman, they are theives and the steal from all of us!

I saw this last week... I kind of feel bad for the guy because he's facing some serious penalties but then again, it's a little over 10 bucks for a license, pay up and enjoy the fishing!!!

Am I the only one that doesn't feel sorry for this guy?

I have tons of sympathy for those that need it honestly...but when you're dishonest....I have none.

Absolutely concur, Fender. Not difficult: step 1 -- get fishing licence, step 2 -- fish.

Doubles

arkansasnative said:
I saw this last week... I kind of feel bad for the guy because he's facing some serious penalties but then again, it's a little over 10 bucks for a license, pay up and enjoy the fishing!!!

You guys have ten dollar licenses? Sweet...

Ours are $30, plus $3 for arizona/Nevada border waters, plus $10 for trout stamp, plus $10 for second rod stamp.

And that price is for residents! For a guy in the process of immigration, like me, they want $70 + $3 +$10 + $10...

Latest posts