Never had this happen before....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman75

Reaction score
Earlier this month I got a "new to me" 14' tinny and picked up a 1970 Johnson 9.5 both off of Craigslist. Both transactions went smooth. I didn't have a trailer and intended to put it in my truck for hauling. After pondering over it I figured a trailer may be the better route. So I have been watching CL in several different locations in my area and I found what sounded like a good deal....

I called the guy a few days ago and talked about the trailer - new tires, lighting all works etc. From what I could tell this was a galvanized trailer for $250. I didn't have a pic of it - I was going off the yr of trailer and what the company made. I was busy after work the last few days and today was my first chance to get down to look at it. It was a 1 1/2 hr drive for me. So I call him again after lunch and discuss the trailer again and set up a time today. 5 o'clock. Great.

While in route to see this trailer the guy texts me that if I like the boat better than what I have he'd let me have it for $900 but the trailer only is $300. What? What boat? Trailer for $300 not $250? Knowing that the guy had several items for sale I figure he texted the wrong person so I replied. I told him that I was coming to look at the trailer without the boat not the other package deal. He sends me back that the trailer is not $250 but $300 and said that he told me that on the phone earlier. Not sure who he was talking to about price but it wasn't me. THE AD SAID $250. So I get off the next exit and call. He begins to tell me that he made a mistake and has to have $300 but would come down to $275 since there seemed to be some confusion on the price. I wasn't confused. The price was $250. I then sent him the CL listing to prove his listed price. Still wanted $275. Now I'm getting pissed. It's not the extra $25. It's the point of misleading me. I tell him to forget it and I was going home (thankfully I was only 1/2 hr into the trip). While on my way home he still texting me that he told me this on the phone, blah, blah, blah.

The trailer may have been worth the $300. I will never know. At this point I wouldn't take it for $1. He texted me several more times still trying to justify the extra price. I tell him that maybe he should revise the CL listing so he quits misleading people. I really wanted to go off on him but tried to be nice. Had I arrived there....

Anyway, another first in my life - Getting upcharged from CL. Another lesson learned.

You made the correct decision to turn around IMO. I have had a few ugly encounters from CL and from now on as soon as something doesn't seem right I don't even bother. To many shady crooks on CL. And to be honest I find that most of the people who miss inform you on there are just plain STUPID. And you can't fix stupid.

I have only been miffed a couple times on CL...I have got some amazing deals to make up for it though,

Yesterday I got a Magma Marine Kettle BBQ ($200 value), Coleman propane lantern (still in box) and a couple camping weenie roasting sticks for a whopping $15.

You did the correct thing - what a tool for even trying that game.

I had a similar incident selling a used offshore fishing reel. Posted on a big saltwater site (Bass Barn) for this area. Get a few nibbles but nothing - I lower the price a bit - get a bunch of emails about it and a guy offers me slightly less (I think I wanted 200.00 and he offered 180.00) - I email him him no thanks, I want 200.00.

He emails back (mind you this is all in writing) - that he will take it and what is my PayPal address - I send him the Paypal info.

he emails me back - :Just made payment can I ship today please" I email him back "sure." Check the PayPal and the douche sent $180.00. WOW, was I pissed - I send him another email saying you are $20.00 short - He has the balls to tell me that we agreed (again we are communicating only in writing through emails) that I agreed to his price

People are freaking unbelievable

I thought it was funny that he kept texting me trying to justify the price once I told him I was going home. Finally I told him the think about it from my side and if he was going to buy something that the price was changed while in route how would he feel. I just wonder how long he'll have this trailer with that sale technique.

I thought the only thing I was getting screwed on was gas. It seems to get higher while driving to get it too... :|

Have had mostly good transactions on CL buying and selling. One seller even commented that I didn't even try to haggle for a lower price on a set of oars. I told him it was a fair price so I had no problems with it.

A couple of days ago, a seller of some truck wheels told me that I'd better hurry because another guy is on the way to look at them. I politely said to let the other guy have them and hung up.

Am currently waiting for responses on two other items. Retirement cost money! :lol:

Certain people will get what they have coming to them...eventually. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad...it all catches up.

I would have turned around too. Sorry you had to go that far though.

:LOL2: I live in ky. called a man in Indanoplis about a welder he had listed in the trader for $500. Made the 300 mile trip, liked the welder, went to pay him and he said his neighbor said it was worth $700 so that is what he would take. As I was leaving he was coming down, I told him to sell it to the neighbor. He called me a month later he wanted $400 I said if he would bring it to me. I was going to tell him my neighbor said it was just worth $300. :lol:

nomowork said:
Am currently waiting for responses on two other items. Retirement cost money! :lol:

One seller came through and got a good deal on a reel lawn mower. I guess the other seller really doesn't want to sell as he just keeps sending me emails about this and that.

Captain Ahab said:

I had a similar incident selling a used offshore fishing reel. Posted on a big saltwater site (Bass Barn) for this area. Get a few nibbles but nothing - I lower the price a bit - get a bunch of emails about it and a guy offers me slightly less (I think I wanted 200.00 and he offered 180.00) - I email him him no thanks, I want 200.00.

He emails back (mind you this is all in writing) - that he will take it and what is my PayPal address - I send him the Paypal info.

he emails me back - :Just made payment can I ship today please" I email him back "sure." Check the PayPal and the douche sent $180.00. WOW, was I pissed - I send him another email saying you are $20.00 short - He has the balls to tell me that we agreed (again we are communicating only in writing through emails) that I agreed to his price

Wait a minute Jack wagon, you said $180 and the tinboat t-shirt.

Popeye said:
Captain Ahab said:

Wait a minute Jack wagon, you said $180 and the tinboat t-shirt.

I sent the reel wrapped in the shirt (I let Bass Addict "have his way" with the shirt but i am sure that a little bleach will fix and DNA he left behind)

Wow some of these stories are amazing. If I had drove 300 miles for a welder....that's unreal. What are these people thinking? I would never have the balls to tell someone that what I listed the price at was too low and now I need to get more. If I listed it wrong - loss is mine if someone has the cash for what I was "asking". Do you homework. Proof read what your listing. Funny thing is the trailer is now listed for $300 and the old listing for $250 is still there also. This will be a mess for this guy at some point. More that it already has.... #-o

There will be many more deals on cl, that wasn't the only trailer. Some sellers are just idiots. I was willing to drive a boat 70 miles to sell it, but I wanted $20 deposit. He was 'certain' he wanted it and i didn't want to be out gas $ if he decided no. He wouldn't do it for a 14 foot Jon boat and galvanized trailer I listed for $200.

About 12 years ago I posted a 1969 AMC AMX for sale using CL and a couple other Free ad sites. Some guy from Cleveland, OH sent me an email asking for more pictures. In addition to listing the repairs needed to make it DRIVABLE, I listed things that would also need to be addressed to make it nicer. Sent him about 20 pictures, including one of there being no carb or radiator in it. He emailed me back saying he would drive down (I lived in Rockport, TX - about 1500 miles away) and we would meet on a certain day. Told him I was off work that day and would be around all day. Wife and I went out for dinner the night before and when we got back, saw there was a note taped to the garage door frame. Said he looked over the car and said I misled him about the condition and that it wasn't drivable. No kidding, without a carb or radiator and I didn't have those part, which I told him in the email. He offered be about half what I was asking for and I told him to enjoy his trip back to Ohio without the car. Sold it the next week for my asking price.

I have had pretty good luck too. I sold a Shopsmith I had bought an restored and needed the money...noone called me on it until I didn't need the money anymore. I had actually forgot I had listed it and the guy called. I deleted the listing but told the guy the deal and said if he wanted it I would honor the ad. I told him why I deleted it too. He seemed happy to give me my asking price. Which worked ok for me as I made money off it. I just have to find another one some day. :(

Speaking of Craigslist. Is it only me that carries when I go to buy something. I have never needed it fortunatly but today you can never tell who's out there to just hit you over the head and take your cash. I get very defensive meeting someone in a place I don't know with cash in my pocket. I have my permit but rarely carry otherwise.

That's the deal with Craigslist.. Bunch on inconsiderate asshats. I've gotten screwed more times than I'd care to tally.

Most notably, an 18 footer with a 70 horse. We talked on the phone, agreed to a price, and I'd pick it up the next morning. Went out and bought the right sized ball for the trailer, get home, and the guy texts me saying he sold it.

Don't agree to sell to someone and then screw them 30 minutes later. I already had the guy's address, he's lucky I'm not crazy :roll:

Or at least have the balls to call me :|

JasonLester said:
I have had pretty good luck too. I sold a Shopsmith I had bought an restored and needed the money...noone called me on it until I didn't need the money anymore. I had actually forgot I had listed it and the guy called. I deleted the listing but told the guy the deal and said if he wanted it I would honor the ad. I told him why I deleted it too. He seemed happy to give me my asking price. Which worked ok for me as I made money off it. I just have to find another one some day. :(

Speaking of Craigslist. Is it only me that carries when I go to buy something. I have never needed it fortunatly but today you can never tell who's out there to just hit you over the head and take your cash. I get very defensive meeting someone in a place I don't know with cash in my pocket. I have my permit but rarely carry otherwise.

I believe in carrying as a general rule. Meeting somebody of Craigslist is no more risky to me than any other thing I do throughout the day.

You do know you only need that permit if you are concealing, right? Www.Opencarry.org is a great site for info on that stuff.

dyeguy1212 said:
That's the deal with Craigslist.. Bunch on inconsiderate asshats. I've gotten screwed more times than I'd care to tally.

Most notably, an 18 footer with a 70 horse. We talked on the phone, agreed to a price, and I'd pick it up the next morning. Went out and bought the right sized ball for the trailer, get home, and the guy texts me saying he sold it.

Don't agree to sell to someone and then screw them 30 minutes later. I already had the guy's address, he's lucky I'm not crazy :roll:

Or at least have the balls to call me :|

MOST of the time I have great luck with Craigslist here.

The one place I found really sketchy was the cars section. We had a heck of a time getting honesty when we first moved here and were looking for an inexpensive payer reliable vehicle. Virtually all ads would say the vehicle was in perfect shape and ran perfect - you would not believe some of the crap condition cars we looked at. We drove all over Las Vegas/Henderson in a rental for two days trying to find a good car. Found one that seemed good, was handing the guy the cash when he shows us the title and it is 'Salvage' right on it! I had specifically asked if it was a clean title multiple times because that is a common 'screw you' move here.

So many of them, didn't speak good English as well, which was frustrating. Several of them double booked people to come at the same time so we were tripping over somebody else looking at the same vehicle...one of them still smelled of wet spray paint! We didn't even talk to that guy - we turned around got back in our car and left.

We did eventually get a good deal on our little ford ranger but it was hard going. "Ice Cold air!" ...for the next five minutes till the freon I just sprayed in it runs out!

Anyway..rant.

When I was looking at a boat I did get screwed on the first deal I wanted. Nice little 14 foot with a ten horse on back and trailer...it didn't have a title but the lady had some kind of paperwork because her father owned it and died or something..can't remember specifics but there was a lot of hassle like I would have to pick her up and drive her to the fisheries dept to sort out this registration issue and she had no clue if the motor ran. I told her I would give her a couple hundred because it was so much hassle. She agreed. The next morning she calls before I got to pick her up and says somebody offered her 300 so she sold it to them instead! I was so mad...I was like, "The least you could have done was given me the opportunity to match that price - we had an agreement. I probably would have paid that and a bit more..."

I think I ended up better off with the deal I got but still. And again, most times I am really successful with Craig's, and that's why I continue to use it.

Jdholmes said:
I believe in carrying as a general rule. Meeting somebody of Craigslist is no more risky to me than any other thing I do throughout the day.

You do know you only need that permit if you are concealing, right? https://Www.Opencarry.org is a great site for info on that stuff.

I live in a pretty good area. I rarely have felt threatened in 25 years around here. I know the area and alot of the people...when I buy off Craigslist I am going into area I don't know. In those cases I would rather the person not know I am carrying. So I conceal it. I don't really open carry much unless I am out at the farm or something. around the house sometimes. But again its a known for me.

But I do understand the argument of always having it. I just prefer to have it away from the kids etc. At times I have to go on school property to get the kids. If I always carry now I have to worry about what to do with it. I have had this happen and have unloaded it and locked it in the trunk...but they would probably hang me for that if they found out.
I know it is illegal to carry on school property. So I stay away.

Jason

Latest posts