Boat Fire Extinguisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
How long are they still good after purchase, if not used? I noticed one in the boat I just purchased, the previous owner bought extinguisher 2002.
I am getting a new extinguisher or two for my 17' boat. Is they any special type that would be better then other? I know law states it has to be coast guard approved.

If the gage shows green then it is in compliance. There is no regulation that states extinguishers have to be inspected and unlike flares, fire extinguishers do not expire based on the calendar. You are correct they do have to say USCG approved.

Yeah...what he said. Some or them have a little button to push and if it springs back it is still good.

Also if is mounted in one position always you should take it out every few months and shake it to keep the powder inside loose as it will settle tightly. Also the type that use CO2 are great for compartment fires such as on an inboard but if there is any wind it can disperse too quickly. On an outboard the dry powder is better. All this came from the rep who maintains the fire equipment where I work.

I did a little looking and found out that dry chemical extinguishers (According to NFPA 10) have a 12 year life. There should be a date code stamped on the bottom which indicates the year of manufacture.

When I bought my 1648, a decent sized fire extinguisher was included. Looked pretty good, didn't seem to old. The gauge was in the green, and it didnt look like it had been used.

I ended up coming across a new one cheap, so I picked it up. Out of curiosity, I decided to try the old one. I got about 3 seconds of spray, and it was dead. Gauge in the red. Wouldn't have put out a lighter.

Moral of the story: when in doubt, spend the 15 bucks and get a new one. It might save your life and/or boat.

I figure I'm surrounded by water and driving a 14' aluminum boat...even if mine ended up not good I will be ok. ;)

I figure I'm surrounded by water and driving a 14' aluminum boat...even if mine ended up not good I will be ok. ;)

Seen and fought a few fires while deployed out to sea. I've seen what fire can do to metal. Just make sure that you're a good swimmer.

Yeah...I understand...understand also that you are only getting a max of 8-10 secs off a standard boat extinguisher anyway.

If throwing a bucket of water on it doesn't stop it then grab your life jacket, if you even need that for some of our situations, and get in the water... Aren't talking large vessels or out to sea situations here,

You're right about that about the short count, Hitting the fire wrong will be ineffective if not useless. The bucket is always a good backup.

Jdholmes said:
Yeah...I understand...understand also that you are only getting a max of 8-10 secs off a standard boat extinguisher anyway.

If throwing a bucket of water on it doesn't stop it then grab your life jacket, if you even need that for some of our situations, and get in the water... Aren't talking large vessels or out to sea situations here,

Doesn't your state law require you to have an extinguisher on board? Pretty stupid if they don't.

They do...and I have one of the little ones...I'm saying I'm not overly concerned about how good it is.

po1 said:

Seen and fought a few fires while deployed out to sea. I've seen what fire can do to metal. Just make sure that you're a good swimmer.

The General Quarters Alarm for the Class Bravo fire in the Engine Room at 1:00am can sure make you pucker, that's for sure.

Latest posts