Need help with boat titles and registration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
Well I know this is not exactly a tin, but I figured that someone here would be able to help me out. I am in the process of purchasing a 13' sailboat with a trailer used of craigslist. The guy has not used it in a few years, and it was actually his daughters. In New Jersey you must have a title for boats over 12' and they must be registered. The same goes for trailers. This guy only has the "Statement/ Certificate of origin" for the boat and trailer. Does anyone know if this is like a title? What should I do before purchasing?

Can't tell without seeing it, of course....but that sounds like what would be received from the dealer and the owner never titled them. So, if that's the case, he'd have to register/title it with the state and then, when he gets a title, he can sign it over to you, then you can re-title it thru the state. At least that's how it works in most places.

RivRunR said:
Can't tell without seeing it, of course....but that sounds like what would be received from the dealer and the owner never titled them. So, if that's the case, he'd have to register/title it with the state and then, when he gets a title, he can sign it over to you, then you can re-title it thru the state. At least that's how it works in most places.
Thanks, I did some research and that is the only way to do it. I don't even know how he got this Paperwork, supposedly that is only what the dealer gets when they receive w brand new boat.

a certificet or orgine is what the manufacture gives as proof that they made that item, if the owner has thoes and they dont have any sort of pen writing on them he dont need to do anything at all, just you take them to the license beureu,, its just like buying one of thoes small 4' x 8' trailers from Harbor Freight tools they give a C .O. O. to the customer and they take that paper to get a title in their state

You should be able to find your answer here.......

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm

But, as Jim said, I'd call the state and ask specific questions about the situation and if there is any info on file with the state regarding that boat or any boat tied to the seller's daughter's name. Better safe than to own a boat you can't register and use.

Latest posts