Childhood adventure question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasnative

Reaction score
My Grandparents live about 10 miles south of me and my area is surrounded by farm country. My whole life I have fished the ditches and channelized creeks and have caught everything from 4 foot gar, to eating sized cats, and 6-7 lb bass. When i was younger I always wished I had a small boat to get to places not accessible from the banks. 10 years later... I am now almost 24 and last year i was given a small 10 foot jon and 2 trolling motors... some of you might remember the thread. The past few weeks I have replaced all the rivets on the boat and the 5200 is curing as we speak, the smallest TM, and old 18 lb thrust, i got running after replacing a switch and cleaning it up. The main creek, known as Big Creek, spans up just south of my fiance's house where it runs under a bridge. Using google earth, I figured out that if i put in my "Scum Buggy" at a bridge by her house, travel down Big Creek, and then motor up a tributary/agri ditch known as Whistle Ditch which goes to a bridge at our farm ground I will have traveled almost 15 miles! I have always wanted to do this because me and my family members are really the only people that fish it and we normally only fish one or two spots on Whistle Ditch.

My question is... Could 15 miles be boated in a day given the slower current of the creek and a small trolling motor? Note... i will have to carry the boat over 4 or 5 dams but it only weighs 30 or so pounds without the batt and TM so that's no big deal. The water is about the right level to try this and with spawning fish coming up into the smaller creeks I figured I would try in the next few weeks.

I am not sure about the distance on the 18. I have a 17 and it lasted a couple hours at most on an outting...of course that was into the wind. With the current your probably ok unless you have alot of going against the current you want to do. Then you might want a second battery or a small outboard. That is what I did. I checked Craiglist and found a 2.5 hp Nissan for 200... That would get you all the way over on the fuel in the internal tank I would guess. We did 8.5 miles and had fuel left in the tank. Plus the engine is light enough to carry.

Just a thought. Bring a paddle. LOL

Just do it. Pack some extra food and water and hit the road. Maybe stash another battery along the way in case of the first one dieing. Carry a paddle. The wind rips through those small streams and if it is windy you can use that to your advatage. Carry a sheet that you can fashion a sail out of. I have gone upstream in a canoe on the Missouri river using a sleeping bag as a sail and large beaver sticks I found.

You'll regret not doing it so hit the road friend. The worst that can happen is you'l not make it and have to float home, fishing the whole way. Shucks!! :LOL2:

Go for it! Just be prepared and let someone know your float plan. Most important part of the float plan is letting someone know when you should arrive to your destination.

Sounds like a great time =D>

It really depends on how fast that creek water can push you.
15 miles of running is a lot, especially on an old, not-so-efficient, speed coil TM, so if it's only 1mph, then one battery is not going to be enough.
I think you're going to need closer to 2mph, and be drift fishing a fair amount of the time, to be safe on one battery.

I would bring a paddle, an anchor, and two batteries for your first trip.
Drift down stream as much as possible and then use the anchor when you want to stop and fish in a particular area. Use the trolling motor how you want and see how things go.

Only way to know is to try it but like others have said, I'd bring some oars.

Hey, I survived my young and stupid years and made it to retirement! :D

bigwave said:
+2 On what fishforfool said, and if you hear banjo's you better paddle faster....... :mrgreen:
If you can hear the banjos, it's already too late. CYA in a hurry !!!! :LOL2:

Ok thanks guys! I figure with the current and using the TM with a group 27 deep cycle i will be fine... i'll mostly be drift fishing but i'll take my emergency paddle and an anchor or some rope to tie to some branches if i find a honey hole. Save the trolling motor for going back up the tributary... it's a pretty slow moving ditch so i figure i'll be fine. As soon as the water goes back down a little bit i'll be packing the sammiches and hit the creek!

Latest posts