Got to play rescue boat tonight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
Went fishing again tonight and got skunked plus to add insult to injury the 'rude quit idling again. #-o

Anyway I ended up fishing kinda late and was headed back to the ramp in the dark, I had went upriver simply because I still don't 100% trust this motor but for some reason I got the urge to run past the ramp and circle around back to it. Come past the ramp and in the distance I saw something odd looking, curious I headed toward it and finally determined it was a boat with three guys in it. Mind you no anchor light, no nav lights, no flashlights... Anyway I shut my motor off and drifted up beside them and turns out they were having motor issues and need a tow back to the ramp, so I hook them up and pull them back to the ramp.

Through conversation I find out they didn't have a paddle, no life preservers, and no current registration plus it turns out they fish often from this landing. :shock: Great now I have to worry about running into these three brilliant wastes of space everytime I put in there as well...

To make it even better they start pulling tools out of their pickup truck and begin pulling their motor apart in an attempt to fix it, in the dark with no light other than the street light at the dock and were determined they were going fishing. :| I wished them the best of luck as I was pulling out. :roll:

Man I've been there. :x

Got sucked along to go fishing with a friend and his very young son who had just got an old glass tri-hull. I'm all for kid's going fishing, but if they're under 6yo, you aren't fishing - you're doing everything else under the sun.

Well, in juggling juice boxes, baiting hooks, un-hooking fathers and sons, un-knoting lines and trying to keep poles from being crunched underfoot, Dad somehow managed to flood out the Merc (which really wasn't running right from the start, but I digress). Not to worry he states, and fires up the trolling motor to attempt to drag us the mile or so back up lake to the launch. Battery (single, non deep cycle econo box starting battery) goes belly up a short while later.

I ask if he's got a paddle, he gives me a funny look. I ended up using the back deck cover as a makeshift paddle to get us back to the main channel, where I flagged down someone with the nicest looking Ranger I've ever seen. I think he could see the pleading in my eyes when I asked if we could get a tow - which he gave us, thankfully.

When he got us back to the launch I told my buddy to give him a 20 for the tow - heck no he says, we could have made it - so I forked over the $20 myself and thanked the other boat personally before he roared off.

Didn't step foot in that tri-hull the rest of the summer. Good thing too - motor blew out a few weeks later, and my buddy got to see how ineffecient using the rear deck lid as a paddle can be.

Very happy that my tinny has OARS. :lol: :lol:

As much as I try to help folks out whenever possible, particularly when something that couldn't be planned for goes wrong, this would probably be one of those times when I would not. As the saying goes, "Experience holds a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other." Sometimes this is the only way some folks ever learn.

Latest posts