Anybody in the Boone, NC vicinity?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
If you are local to that area, or at least know the regulations, please shoot me a PM.

We've got access to a vacation house in Newland, and are considering heading back up there on the first week of April.

That being said, I'm aware that trout season opens the following week, which would put a damper on any fishing the week prior, but the regulations are confusing me, so I'm needing some clarification on some of the Blue Ridge Parkway waters.

If we went, we would not be towing a boat, so the larger lakes (James, Watauga et al) are out of the question. In the past, we've fished the lakes on the Moses Cone Park, and Blue Ridge Parkway (Price Lake, Bass Lake, and the other little pond on the Moses Cone Park property). I'm not a die hard trout fisherman, so if the streams and rivers are closed down, it is of no bother - I'd rather spend all day flipping the lily pads at Bass Lake.

My question is, knowing that the above mentioned lakes/ponds are considered Wild Trout waters, are they still subject to the closed season, or are they open year round? What other bodies of water are in the area, and open at that point?

We'd normally do this trip in Late May or so, but the owner of the house hasn't visited it in a couple years, and wants someone to go make sure everything is still in order, sooner rather than later. The first week of April is our school district's spring break, so it would be the only week that the trip could be a family affair.

Thanks in advance,

Dawson

Altho' Boone is pretty close to me, I don't know much about fishing around there...BUT...

I did find these NC Trout Regs and from the chart it looks like only "hatchery supported waters" are closed from 3/1 - 4/6, so if the waters you want to fish are truly "wild trout waters" it doesn't look like there's a closure. The list of wild trout waters starts on page 24.

Hope this helps!

Bassboy, I trout fish almost exclusively from April to June here in NC. The regulations on trout fishing are extensive and heavily enforced. I fish for trout exclusively in creeks and rivers so I can't help you with the fishing on the lakes. I would recommend that you get a detailed road map of the area you intend to fish because boundaries where bait restrictions and limits change are often identified with service road numbers not street names. As far as the waters along the Blue Ridge, I don't have much experience. Some of those streams cross the state line in places and I don't buy a Virginia license. I'm also not aware of the VA regs on those waters. I'll be fishing in Ashe County probably on Big Horse Creek on opening day (1st Sat in April). You'd be welcome to join us. It may be a bit of a drive but it's 2 hours for me from Winston-Salem. I can do some research for you if you'd like to stay closer to Boone.

If you call them they should be able to get you a labled map of what part of the creeks are designated as..

Im pretty sure the creeks in the park are all wild waters but its best to call and make sure. Lots of rules with trout up here

Latest posts