Tapatalk has been disabled due to being incompatible with the current version of the forum software. Will be re-enabled once it's fixed.

Barge in the Meramec

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
Gramps50

Barge in the Meramec, Fenton & Glencoe with pics

Post by Gramps50 »

With the water down thought it would be a good day to go and look for the barge that is in the Meramec at Glencoe. I parked in the park on Washington, off Hwy 109 and Old State Rd. I then rode 1.25 miles and saw a chain link fence and went and looked over to see the barge. With a little more exploration I found some tracks in concrete going down to the river about 50 yards down river.

Went down the slab to the river bed and over to the barge. After looking around some I don't think it was a wreck as I have seen reported. The site looks like a port. Maybe they would take sand & gravel here and load it on a train. I would say that the barge that appears to have been powered, it has a pilot house. I don't think it is wrecked there I think it was abandoned there when the operation was stopped.

Wish I would have climbed up on it and tried to see in the pilot house to see if there was anything left of it.

Link to the pictures that I took. https://gramps50.smugmug.com/NatureWalk/ ... ec-Glencoe
--- Gramps
1985 1651 Polar Kraft 20 hp Mercury
HB 597 ci HD DI

bulldog
Site Sponsor

Barge in the Meramec

Post by bulldog »

I ran up through there with my boat on Friday evening. The river is the lowest I have ever run. Buddy of mine caught a 20" walleye near Castlewood.

fender66

Barge in the Meramec, Fenton & Glencoe with pics

Post by fender66 »

Gramps50 wrote:With the water down thought it would be a good day to go and look for the barge that is in the Meramec at Glencoe. I parked in the park on Washington, off Hwy 109 and Old State Rd. I then rode 1.25 miles and saw a chain link fence and went and looked over to see the barge. With a little more exploration I found some tracks in concrete going down to the river about 50 yards down river.

Went down the slab to the river bed and over to the barge. After looking around some I don't think it was a wreck as I have seen reported. The site looks like a port. Maybe they would take sand & gravel here and load it on a train. I would say that the barge that appears to have been powered, it has a pilot house. I don't think it is wrecked there I think it was abandoned there when the operation was stopped.

Wish I would have climbed up on it and tried to see in the pilot house to see if there was anything left of it.
This is very cool Gramps. I've always wanted to head up that way, but never made it happen.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

C.U. Fishin

Barge in the Meramec

Post by C.U. Fishin »

fender66 wrote:
Gramps50 wrote:I was talking to a young man at George Winter park and he told me that there is a sunken barge in the Meramec just up river from Valley Park, I'm guessing between Valley Park and Castlewood. Anyone know anything about this?

I can't imagine a barge being up river that far unless it's really small. The waters under the VP bridge at 141 are very shallow. At most times of the year, you can't run anything except a jet through that area.
Found this out the hard way, luckily I had a spare prop shear pin with me, now I never leave the ramp without one. Still no fun having to change it on the bank of the Meremac.
14' Richline semi-V
25hp Evinrude
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13949

If I had a nickle for every fish I've ever caught I'd just spend it on more tackle and boat stuff.

archinstl

Barge in the Meramec

Post by archinstl »

bulldog wrote:There is a steel barge on the Meramec about 50 yards upstream from the East bound lanes of HWY 44 on the East side of the river. Looks like the perfect noodling spot if it were legal. You can see it from the highway if the water is at normal pool up to maybe +3 feet.
This is actually the remains of the sternwheel steamer Betsy Ann, a very famous boat.
She was converted into a dock before WWII by the Meramec Power Boat Club. Her pilot wheel is in the Steamboat Museum at Bee Tree park.
More information is a bit down this page: https://www.cincinnativiews.net/steam_boats_2.htm
I was just down at Possum Woods Park, which is directly across from the derelict; quite a bit is visible, due to the low water. Access can also be gotten by descending the steep bank at the intersection of Soccer Park Road and Yarnell Road, on the West side of the river.
Attachments
004.JPG
003.JPG
350px-Betsyann026a-25.jpg
350px-Betsyann026a-25.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 780 times
350px-Betsyann067a-25.jpg
350px-Betsyann067a-25.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 780 times

Sidewinder

Barge in the Meramec

Post by Sidewinder »

That is cool. :D

dherberg

Barge in the Meramec

Post by dherberg »

This was taken through the chain link fence which is on an old concrete platform used by the gravel pit in Sherman. I grew up around Sherman & my wife lived there. This is an old gravel pit barge.
Attachments
Moored barge in Sherman Mo.
Moored barge in Sherman Mo.

fender66

Barge in the Meramec

Post by fender66 »

This is still a very cool post to me. I have to get up there sometime. Very interesting!
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

dherberg

Barge in the Meramec

Post by dherberg »

The Meramec River, like most rivers once used for commerce, have a lot of "skeletons" buried in the banks and sunken in the river bed itself. Up river from Pacific MO, you can see old 50s era cars used by the Corps of Engineers to shore up the river bank. It seemed like a good idea at the time. If you go to see it, beware of the metal frames in the river bed as they can skewer a canoe or raft easily.

panFried

Barge in the Meramec

Post by panFried »

archinstl » 26 Jul 2012, 21:14 wrote:
bulldog wrote:There is a steel barge on the Meramec about 50 yards upstream from the East bound lanes of HWY 44 on the East side of the river. Looks like the perfect noodling spot if it were legal. You can see it from the highway if the water is at normal pool up to maybe +3 feet.
This is actually the remains of the sternwheel steamer Betsy Ann, a very famous boat.
She was converted into a dock before WWII by the Meramec Power Boat Club. Her pilot wheel is in the Steamboat Museum at Bee Tree park.
More information is a bit down this page: https://www.cincinnativiews.net/steam_boats_2.htm
I was just down at Possum Woods Park, which is directly across from the derelict; quite a bit is visible, due to the low water. Access can also be gotten by descending the steep bank at the intersection of Soccer Park Road and Yarnell Road, on the West side of the river.
Nice! I always wondered what this skeleton was at one time. Steamer is cool, but I always imagined it as a Civil War relic. Still exciting to see, and I can always continue to dream that there were cannons mounted on it at one time. :lol: