First Aid Kit recommendations?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say you could build it, but make sure to check with the DOT first because some stuff you have to have a permit to carry, like most liquid s have to be approved by the DOT. Check out your local heavy duty parts stores like napa or carquest we sell some pretty **** good first aid kit's that truckers have to keep in their rig's i have one in my garage an one in my wife's truck since that's where the kid's ride. Mine cost about 35.00 but some cost up to 70.00 those are BIG, mine is only like a 8x8 box

I got mine at Walmart for $5 wasn't really that nice when got it home and opened it up to look at it. Wish I had purchaed the other one for $10. On well I know have a nice box I can put what I want in it later. I don't think you can put one together for $10

Neither of these are DOT approved but I don't think that they woud need to be for the use on a TB

The kit I am thinking is for the house and to take with me on vacations or a Bug out type kit.

I am thinking of getting one of those pelican type waterproof cases and then following most of this checklist:

https://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/first+aid+checklist.html

Check out Instructables for some good recommendations.

You can't do it cheaper, because you have to buy a whole pack of things vs. just a few.

The benefit is that you have extras to refill it with, and what you buy separately is likely of a better quality.

I believe the DOT regulations are only applicable to motor carriers - ie truck drivers.

I think you can put a much better kit together yourself. I have looked at the kits at Walmart but even with the bigger ones it doesn't look to me like you get your money's worth,

Adventure Medical makes some nice kits.
https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/

I use their Ultralight/Watertight .7 kit for backcountry camping and it has worked well. I just bought a foldable pair or scissors and an emergency blanket and added it to the kit.

Building a kit will be a lot more expensive but as JD said, you always have stuff to fill it back up with. I bought a kit because it's a great starting point and you can always add or subtract things as you see fit.

ok the real reason.................

I am sporting a dora the explorer band aid on a cut. No betadine, no gauze, no pads, nothing around the house for any time of minor, minor emergency. Just a half empty box of dora the explorer band aids.

enough is enough.

:lol:

May I make a suggestion? Last year I managed to partially fillet my hand while sauger fishing, and for the life of me I couldn't get the bleeding stopped. And, as usual, I was fishing by myself making matters worse. Since I couldn't get the bleeding stopped I had no choice but to make a long run to the ramp so I could load the boat and drive to the emergency room. As luck would have it a fishing buddy at the ramp saw me and bandaged my hand with some duct tape and paper towels. I had actually tried it myself as soon as I cut myself but was bleeding so badly that by the time the adhesive tape was cut and ready to apply, it was so wet with blood it wouldn't stick. After driving home and cleaning the blood out of the boat (yeah, yeah, I had to clean up the boat first), I went to the emergency room and got stitched up.

About a month later I was giving a presentation at a convention of EMSs and paramedics and one of the vendors gave me some stuff called QuickClot Emergency Dressing. It's a gauze sponge that contains some stuff that stops the bleeding immediately. He also gave me something called CoFlex Flexible Bandage, which works by expanding to fit, not sticking to the skin. It's a must-have now for my boat and home.

I have no idea where to get it but I feel sure it or something like it is available to the public.

Jim said:
Thanks Deadmeat! I will search for that stuff when making my kit and will report back where to get it.

And if you ever have to use it, make sure there is a little bit of blood on the wound before you pour the powder on it. I made the mistake of compressing the gash with cloth, and then immediately pouring the clotting chemical on it (essentially on bare flesh). Top 3 most painful thing I've ever done.

As it turns out, you get a better artificial scab with a little blood.

Latest posts