What a dumba$$

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nomowork said:
Sometimes I wish I had a howitzer available.

Save your anger for the jet ski's and dolphins. They have an ulterior motive.

www.Gunbroker.com can make you wish come true.

Attachments

• dolp.jpeg
    dolp.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 677
...on another site that deals with local West Galveston Bay fishing there was a thread started today that deals with just such an issue. Down here since the water temps are already well into the mid 70's and the air is even warmer the skiers and boarders are already coming out of hiding!
The way I look at it is if you are trying to fish in a spot where they are playing...then you are in the WRONG SPOT! All that noise sure as heck isn't going to help the bite at all.

If they make it back to where I fish then they deserve what they get when they eat it on a submerged oyster reef!!

Galveston340 said:
...on another site that deals with local West Galveston Bay fishing there was a thread started today that deals with just such an issue. Down here since the water temps are already well into the mid 70's and the air is even warmer the skiers and boarders are already coming out of hiding!
The way I look at it is if you are trying to fish in a spot where they are playing...then you are in the WRONG SPOT! All that noise sure as heck isn't going to help the bite at all.

If they make it back to where I fish then they deserve what they get when they eat it on a submerged oyster reef!!

It's not a matter of fishing in the wrong spot. Sound travels something like 3 times further over water as it does over land--especially bass (not bass fish, sound bass #-o ). So literally you would be able to hear this for miles if at a high volume, and could also shut down fishing for miles in addition to making everyone else in the area annoyed. It's noise pollution, and there is absolutely no logical reason to have a system of that size. I have no problem listening to music, but do so in a way that does not negatively affect others on the water.

And just so you guys know where I am coming from--I grew out of that phase. I had an 18" Cerwin-Vega stroker in a chevy blazer with 2-1200w amps while I installed 4-15" Kicker Solobarics on 2-1200w amps in a buddies car... We won several local competitions with those set-ups (SPL levels of 149.2 with mine--149.8 with my buddies)... but I grew up when I realized my hobby was offensive to everyone else but me.

nomowork said:
I wonder if the 50 foot noise law applies to boats as well as cars here. Sometimes I wish I had a howitzer available.

The Howitzer is cheap in the grand scheme of things - that's a one time charge. It's the $200 tax stamp per round that starts adding up...

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
That's the dumbest waste of money I have ever seen. And sound travels faster in water...not further.

It travels farther going over water due to nothing to block/deflect the sound waves (i.e. hills; buildings; trees; etc.) then it does going over land. Of course there are exceptions when this is not always the case, such as in a huge empty parking lot, or shouting down from a mountain top--just saying in general sound will carry further over water then land. You're right, sound does travel faster in water then in air--but that wasn't the point I was making.

I honestly don't konw what all the complaining is about. I am sure I will get major rocks thrown at me over that comment, but its the truth. Maybe those same people who are out there skiing/wake boarding think "Geez I wish that stupid guy wasting his time throwing a line in the water and not catching anything would get out of this cove so I could run farther back in there". I am not saying that those of us who enjoy fishing are doing anything wrong or don't have the right to be there...I am just saying in more ways than we may think of, we may also be taking away from the fun of others. Maybe not with decibles and soundwaves....but it is possible. Also, I have thing against those that like to play loud music. I figure if I don't like it I can always move to a different location, or wait for you to leave. I actually just got done beefing up my own stereo in my boat, because on those days when it is more about joy riding than fishing and I pull up on a gravel bar it is pretty nice to be able to crank it up and bit and hear the stereo away from the boat. We all have our prefrences, but I think the fishing community puts a pretty harsh rap on the recreational boating community and I just don't get it. Most of the time you are up and done fishing before they even open their eyes anyway!

riverrunner5891 said:
I honestly don't konw what all the complaining is about. I am sure I will get major rocks thrown at me over that comment, but its the truth. Maybe those same people who are out there skiing/wake boarding think "Geez I wish that stupid guy wasting his time throwing a line in the water and not catching anything would get out of this cove so I could run farther back in there". I am not saying that those of us who enjoy fishing are doing anything wrong or don't have the right to be there...I am just saying in more ways than we may think of, we may also be taking away from the fun of others. Maybe not with decibles and soundwaves....but it is possible. Also, I have thing against those that like to play loud music. I figure if I don't like it I can always move to a different location, or wait for you to leave. I actually just got done beefing up my own stereo in my boat, because on those days when it is more about joy riding than fishing and I pull up on a gravel bar it is pretty nice to be able to crank it up and bit and hear the stereo away from the boat. We all have our prefrences, but I think the fishing community puts a pretty harsh rap on the recreational boating community and I just don't get it. Most of the time you are up and done fishing before they even open their eyes anyway!

I understand what you're saying, however it's almost like saying my car being parked in a parking lot is impeding your ability to have fun doing donuts. Me fishing does not directly affect your ability to water-ski or listen to music. You can do either or both of those things with me sitting there in my boat. But the water-skier and/or loud music may directly affect the fishing in my area, making it virtually impossible to catch a fish.

In addition, while i'm fishing--im enjoying a very small portion of the waterway--and i'm staying still, or moving very very slowly. By definition, a water-skier or tuber requires much much more of the waterway in order to have an equal amount of enjoyment--which is truly why I get annoyed when I am disrupted by skiers or tubers when i'm setting still in a huge lake.

The fact of the matter is that people fishing have to put up with skiers, and skiers have to put up with people fishing. Since they are polar opposites in many aspects, being thoughtful and considerate on the water is what it's all about. Luckaly in my area, the lakes are large enough for room for all! :mrgreen:

Latest posts