anybody know what the heck kinda fish this is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i catch alot of bluegill around here, but i swear this one looks different... looks like a cross with a crappie to me..

Attachments

• 2012-03-209514.59.44.jpg
    2012-03-209514.59.44.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 697
That is a species of sunfish - Keep in mind those little devils cross breed so it could be a hybrid

I just call them all "bait"

That one is certain a Warmouth however

WarmouthmcA400.jpg

If you are interested:

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bream/

My first thought was white crappie too, but something doesn't look 100%. I can't figure out what that is. Maybe it's because it looks a little thin??? I don't know. :|

That is certainly no crappie. It is some form of bream. What kind, I don't know, and like Ahab said, there are all sorts of hybrid bream around too.

Bait is a pretty good designation for it.

thorny said:
type in white crappie on your g oogle machine and veiw some images. looks pretty close to me.
I fish for crappies a lot but I know that ones not 100% a crappie... I believe its some sort of cross breed.. I catch lots of different colored fish.. now that I'm on here ill start taking more pics and posting them up on here...

Um Really? Its a freakin bluegill, there are lots of names for the lil buggers. Pumpkin seed, Brim fut not croppie. There awesome when fishing with the kids. =D>

No to bluegill, pumpkin seed, warmouth, it is a juvenile redear sunfish, commonly known as a shellcracker. If you want to target this fish, fish on the bottom with redworms or pinks. They are delicious eating. Coloration will change with water conditions, etc., alot of them will not have the red on the tips of their ear flaps. I have caught males during spawning that are almost blackish in color. During spawning, they are caught by the hundreds on my home lake.

Lol all I know is that they're fun to catch when u can't catch anything else... ive caught a few like that and always wondered what it was... alot Of times those fish are bigger than the bluegill that we catch around here...

I'm with Riverbottom. Pumpkinseed, or maybe a pumpkinseed cross. Does not look like a Shellcracker or Warmouth to me, they have a little more of a "bass" look to them (chunkier, bigger mouths).

Latest posts