On the water, funny thing I did today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
After work I decided to take the boat out and test the 1962 15HP SeaKing I rebuilt. Launched the boat, motor started up like she is brand new. Let her warm up and put her in gear....well I wasnt moving anywhere. I forgot to put the pin back in the prop shaft, the one that engages the prop as the shaft rotates. Gears were working, motor was running, prop was at a standstill!!

Good thing I had my 1.5hp cruise n carry. That got me moving along to catch both a smallmouth and largemouth by sunset. Tossed em back. Good lesson to be learned here, check your motors and prop BEFORE leaving the house...or bring more than one motor! Good night!

:lol:

My favorite(besides forgetting to put the truck into park backing up at the dock :shock: ) was one time I backed in, started her up, put her in reverse and nothing. I could feel it shaking underneath but nothing............After a few minutes I forgot that i never removed the trailer ratchet tie-downs. :LOL2:

The whole time I was yelling at my wife to back the truck in a little more and a little more. The truck was in the water up to its rear bumper. :LOL2:

:LOL22: One thing about boat/fishing something is bound to happen. I have drove 45 minutes to the ramp unloaded the boat and realized I had no fishing gear #-o

Jim said:
:lol:

My favorite(besides forgetting to put the truck into park backing up at the dock :shock: ) was one time I backed in, started her up, put her in reverse and nothing. I could feel it shaking underneath but nothing............After a few minutes I forgot that i never removed the trailer ratchet tie-downs. :LOL2:

The whole time I was yelling at my wife to back the truck in a little more and a little more. The truck was in the water up to its rear bumper. :LOL2:

I did that once, lucky I didn't swamp the boat.

Another time, I forgot to take off the transom saver, so the bungee cord was holding me onto the trailer. Couldn't figure out why I was flooring it in reverse and not going anywhere.

That was last year, and this year, the first time out, my buddy did the same thing with his boat. The only difference was that he had to put his arm in 40 degree water. It was pushing 80 degree water when I did it.

So I got the last laugh

Neither of my boats will get up on plane.....when I leave the drift chute in! Imagine!

Unfortunately, the last time I did that ( two weeks ago) I had just lengthened the drift chute's drag line. The line and part of the chute wrapped around the prop. THUNK!... took me a minute or two to figure out what the heck I had done now!

Ha ha (always carry a sharp knife ) I cut a few lines and unwrapped the chute and off we went.

Rich

Anybody ever forget to put gas in the boat? I have, ran out after about mins running down the lake :( , Lucky for me I also had a half charges trolling motor....

i also forgot to strap down my 15' glass runabout once. i went over some rr tracks about 30 mph. you can guess what happened next :oops:(this was the same one that went thru the window)

Jdholmes said:
Ever forget to haul up your anchor and wonder why your motor is underperforming? :p

Or even hauled up the anchor, let it hang at the stern. Get under way, slow down to next stop. Look down and see NO anchor line? Lake ate that one! (needless to say, all anchor line ends are now tied to boat!) #-o

JonBoatfever said:
Anybody ever forget to put gas in the boat? I have, ran out after about mins running down the lake :( , Lucky for me I also had a half charges trolling motor....

Not my boat, but yes....and with no backup motors. 5 mi. offshore, trolling Lake Mi. Thank goodness for marine radio! :oops:

Looks like everybody has a story to tell! LOL

Loggerhead Mike said:
An extra sheer pin or a nail is good to keep in the boat

Got a pic of that 1.5? Sounds cool
This isnt my motor but its just like this...basically a weed whacker converted to an outboard. Good to have when you leave something behind!
side1.jpg

richg99 said:
Neither of my boats will get up on plane.....when I leave the drift chute in! Imagine!

Unfortunately, the last time I did that ( two weeks ago) I had just lengthened the drift chute's drag line. The line and part of the chute wrapped around the prop. THUNK!... took me a minute or two to figure out what the heck I had done now!

Ha ha (always carry a sharp knife ) I cut a few lines and unwrapped the chute and off we went.

Rich
Drift chute? Never heard of such a thing? Is this similar to a trolling plate only something you tow behind the boat to slow her down?

Drift sock - looks like a cone...supposed to help slow your drift when you get to a nice hole...I tried it yesterday but thought it was more pain than it was worth...of course I could have been doing it wrong.

Latest posts