Update on my "acting career"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Ha, Ha...Well, we are down to the final weekend of this eight week saga. Some weeks ago I posted how I, at the advanced age of 72, auditioned for my first play. I got the part of the Big Indian (Chief Bromden) in the local community playhouse presentation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Unlike the movie, and a great surprise to this old guy, the "Big Indian" has six complicated mono-logs and a couple of lengthy dialogues with the Jack Nicholson character. Somehow, I have muddled though all of the memorization. I may, or may not, ever do anything like this again, but it was a lot of work and fun.

The time was spent with four weeks of five nights a week practicing...... and then four MORE weeks of three nights a week performing!!!!!. My advice to anyone considering this pursuit is be very cautious as to the time commitment. It was more than I bargained for at the beginning.

We finish this Saturday night. Here are a couple of pix that my neighbor snuck in last weekend at the show. I play a crazy guy and seem well suited for it!

1IMGP6415.jpg

1IMGP6400.jpg

Yea, lots of wrinkles and lots of orange makeup..Yuck, I don't know how the women stand that stuff for long. .

The $15.00 wig felt like mono-filament fishing line scratching my neck for two hours every night.
R

Excellent !!!!! 8) 8) 8) =D>

You look GREAT !!! Congratulations on your work, your courage and your commitment !! Acting is very tough work and "picking it up" at 72 took guts. I acted in college and found the commitment to be more than I could or wanted to handle during those years. But the experience was worth the time and effort.

One thing though..... if women had to wear the stage makeup (greasepaint) everyday, we'd have to think up a line to replace "the fairer species" 'cause none of them would wear that greasy crap (and we all know how they look without makeup :LOL2: ). It's like spreading lard on your face. :-&

Thanks for all of the good wishes. 3 hours to go to begin the final performance.

I found out last night that, in appreciation of our good and free service...we all get to "strike" the set tonight. That means I bring my tools and we community theater volunteers get to take the sets apart so the next show can start with a clean deck.

Sheesh...what fun to look forward to at midnight!

Ha Ha Guess they got the right guy to play a crazy Indian. Ha Ha Rich

Latest posts