carpet glue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Henry's premium outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes and it worked great. Have heard that others have used contact cement but I can't imagine doing a large area with contact cement?

I am assuming you are attaching to wood.

Lowes in our area have quit carrying the Henry 663 everyone used, and I did not like the replacement.

Therefore, I started using the Roberts 6700 from Home Depot. While I was finishing the last of the Henry 663 I had, I put both that and the new Roberts 6700 side by side, and they seemed identical.

i use contact cement because i didnt like how carpet glue reacted with water. it was alot easier to work with than i thought it would be.

Friend who owns a carpet business talked me into getting the 3M 777 (I think) spray adhesive. Was quick and easy. Spray it on the carpet backing, spray it on the surface then after it dries stick the carpet down. Worked on the aluminum decking as well as the wood. Even worked well on textured aluminum.

200racing said:
i use contact cement because i didnt like how carpet glue reacted with water. it was alot easier to work with than i thought it would be.

I agree. Most outdoor carpet glues are only water resistant. Waterproof is much more important on a boat. Many have used water resistant glue without any issues, but their boat carpet may not get wet often. Take a look at my glue thread. I ran a few test prior to carpeting my boat.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22430

Jay415 said:
200racing said:

I agree. Most outdoor carpet glues are only water resistant. Waterproof is much more important on a boat. Many have used water resistant glue without any issues, but their boat carpet may not get wet often. Take a look at my glue thread. I ran a few test prior to carpeting my boat.

it was yours and hanr3 threads that help me make my mind up.

200racing said:
it was yours and hanr3 threads that help me make my mind up.

Glad to help! That's what's great about forums. Sharing experiences and opinions to make things better!

Jay415 said:
200racing said:

That's a good thread.

That was a great thread! I wish I had come across it before I carpeted my boat. I had to go out to the garage and see which Henry's I used and it was the 663. But I am not worried, I don't fish in the rain anymore lol. When it rains I leave, that comes with age I guess : ) Well now I know if I want to re-carpet my boat I just have to sink it for 3-5 hours and the pull the carpet out :mrgreen:

I had gotten my carpet soaked many time though from my kids swimming and getting in and out of the boat dripping wet and haven't had any issues at all with the carpet coming up.

also for all others, I put carpet down last winter on the bow wood, took the deck out the other day and the spots not covered in carpet are covered in mold, can only imagine what's under the carpet? it was the lowes stuff

Latest posts