Autotether Wireless lanyard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I received the Autotether Wireless Lanyard for my kicker motor and did a quick "bench test" to make sure it worked for the kill switch I bought to replace the Tohatsu switch. They make lanyard clips for most outboard motor kill switches (except Tohatsu and Nissan) as well as those mounted at the console. Best $200.00 I've spent on the boat in my opinion for all the times I go out Salmon trolling alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9ZSi-2cQI&feature=youtu.be

I also tested it open air, line of sight and it tripped when I was 156 feet away. Seems like a lot, but if you fall in the water, the signal is interupted by the water and would trip faster as was evidenced by the other test where I put the fob in a 5 gallon bucket of water and walked 21 feet away and it tripped. The longer distance open air test shows that you can get it set up and be able to do things on the dock without it tripping which is a good thing because the system takes a minute or two to initialize and recognize the FOB.

Popeye: Thank you for the review. We like your video, too. Per Anthony Viggiano, the inventor, "A 5 gallon bucket of water is not enough water to shut down the motor which is why you had to walk away. If you fall into a large body of water it will shut down in less than 1.5 seconds. The way to test is place Fob into a 30 to 40 gallons of water at the minimum or tie a string and drop it into water the boat is in. Reason is if you get wet with spray or rain it doesn’t effect it and will not accidently shut you down." If you have any questions, need clarification, would like us to try something, let us know.

-Prakaithip, Dir. of Marketing at Autotether, 888-593-4181 or email us at [email protected]

Attachments

• OutdoorCanada.jpg
    OutdoorCanada.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 428
Hi!

Thanks for joining and giving some clarification on the Autotether!

Here is the Website link for those interested: https://www.autotether.com/at/

Jim

Autotether said:
Popeye: Thank you for the review. We like your video, too. Per Anthony Viggiano, the inventor, "A 5 gallon bucket of water is not enough water to shut down the motor which is why you had to walk away. If you fall into a large body of water it will shut down in less than 1.5 seconds. The way to test is place Fob into a 30 to 40 gallons of water at the minimum or tie a string and drop it into water the boat is in. Reason is if you get wet with spray or rain it doesn’t effect it and will not accidently shut you down." If you have any questions, need clarification, would like us to try something, let us know.

-Prakaithip, Dir. of Marketing at Autotether, 888-593-4181 or email us at [email protected]

I was aware of that and probably should have mentioned that the limited amount of water wouldn't interrupt the signal as much as if someone fell in with it. For my application, even if it takes 21 feet for it to trip, would be just over a boat length and more than acceptable.

wow this is going to go on my must have priority list. I've been trolling lake michigan for salmon alone in my boat for the last two years and have always been very scared about falling over while trolling. With the boat moving a minimum of 2.5 mph there is no way I'd ever make it back into the boat. Popeye is it easy to install? How big is the piece you have to carry does it fit in a pocket decently? Not that cost is a deal breaker but where did you buy it for $200? The website lists it for $299

Crankworm said:
wow this is going to go on my must have priority list. I've been trolling lake michigan for salmon alone in my boat for the last two years and have always been very scared about falling over while trolling. With the boat moving a minimum of 2.5 mph there is no way I'd ever make it back into the boat. Popeye is it easy to install? How big is the piece you have to carry does it fit in a pocket decently? Not that cost is a deal breaker but where did you buy it for $200? The website lists it for $299

What brand motor? Kill switch on the motor or at the helm? In the video, the thing I picked up to activate the alarm is the Fob you wear (it comes with a large clip). You can judge the size in the picture with the iPod Nano (NO AHAB, IT’S FUCHSIA, NOT PINK). The fob is maybe 3 times the thickness of the Nano and weighs 2-1/4 oz. The hardest part about my installation was I had to install a kill switch for a motor that is supported by Autotether. I have a Tohatsu and I talked with Anthony (who actually called me) and he said they haven’t had many requests for Tohatsu and the cost in making a new adaptor would outweigh the return. Totally understandable. other than that issue... installation was super simple, snap the correct adapter on and peal off the tape from the velcro on the host and attach it to the boat within 12" of the kill switch.

Autotether~0.jpg

Crankworm - check your PM's

Just a quick update on real world application testing. OK, more real world than indoor bench testing. Yesterday I attached the autotether FOB to a snap swivel and a 1 ounce sinker on my 9 foot fishing pole. I stood on the back deck of my boat and held the pole out to the side and lowered the fob to the water. It was about 6 feet away from the boat and maybe 8 feet from the Autotether monitor. I lower the rod tip slowly until it tripped the unit. It was less than 2 feet down when it tripped. No way I'm going out without it.

Popeye said:
Just a quick update on real world application testing. OK, more real world than indoor bench testing. Yesterday I attached the autotether FOB to a snap swivel and a 1 ounce sinker on my 9 foot fishing pole. I stood on the back deck of my boat and held the pole out to the side and lowered the fob to the water. It was about 6 feet away from the boat and maybe 8 feet from the Autotether monitor. I lower the rod tip slowly until it tripped the unit. It was less than 2 feet down when it tripped. No way I'm going out without it.

Great to hear from you Popeye. Thanks again for the follow-up review and for saving others on the water. We know that your boat will not be "that" run away boat! Clip the sensor FOB to your PFD, and that's what we call a perfect rapid response system that allows for maximum safety, comfort and convenience. Climb back on, don't stop having fun and make sure to get your $25 rebate at https://www.autotether.com/at/Rebate-Form. =D>

Latest posts