That's a cool way to burn-up an engine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/04/video-navy-laser-sets-ship-on-fire/

The US navy tested laser use at sea. Leave it to the nave to hit a moving target, the first time, from a mile away 8) - the next steps are larger lasers to cut through 20 feet of steel a second :shock:

Say the navy felt I woulld be the next target/test - if I give my tin a mirror polish, will the laser still cut through it? Granted, I know nothing about lasers :roll:

Not sure about them little lights either wasilvers but I do believe you could shine your boat as much as you would like and it would still get very warm in a short time.

Seems like they could have picked a little cheaper boat than that to burn up, (2) 200 hp outboards gone. Oh well, what do they care, taxpayers have plenty more money where that came from.
Tim :x :roll:

....I want one of those! Would come in handy when the "Pot Lickers" get too close when I am wade fishing!!!

JamesM56alum said:
Lol you said it not me, but yes i was thinking the same thing but screw the motor's give me the boat you can have those paper weight mercs

I'll take the Mercs anyday.

dang I love it that this great country has the coolest toys in the world, but wouldn't a trash fiberglass rig and 2 85HP chryslers from 1972 produce the same results?

FYI for the most part these test boats were probably confiscated boats from the coasties. The Navy does tests like this all the time and in a real time situation they want to have real results. The bad guys are not going to come strolling up on a little slow boat. You guys should see what they do with the phalynx and some drone planes.....and I am not even gonna mention what subs can do.....all I will say is BOOOOOOMMMMMMM, bye bye bad guy. By the way there are two carriers in the gulf now.....most of you Navy vets probably know what that means.

gouran01 said:
dang I love it that this great country has the coolest toys in the world, but wouldn't a trash fiberglass rig and 2 85HP chryslers from 1972 produce the same results?

Exactly my point, even just one outboard on it. I don't even think that boat was moving when they hit it with the laser. What can I say, I don't like to waste money and I like it even less when someone else wastes my money.
Tim

the only motion in that boat was from the ocean, plastic and steel from 20 years ago burns the same as it does today, if it were confiscated, it coulda been auctioned and put 10K back into the DOD pocket book. When I'm president of the world, retarded spending and waste of resources will be deducted from the approving officials paycheck.

gouran01 said:
the only motion in that boat was from the ocean, plastic and steel from 20 years ago burns the same as it does today, if it were confiscated, it coulda been auctioned and put 10K back into the DOD pocket book. When I'm president of the world, retarded spending and waste of resources will be deducted from the approving officials paycheck.

X2

Watching this makes me sick. I can barely afford to put gas in the car, and they think it's fine to trash $20,000 worth of outboards. The company I work for makes heavy construction equipment, and someone was showing us videos of the military doing tests where they would drop our equipment out of airplanes with parachutes. It didnt go well, and it the two or three minute video, they flushed about $20,000,000 down the toilet. Unnecessary, IMO. Find a better way.

BYOB Fishing said:
gouran01 said:

X2

Watching this makes me sick. I can barely afford to put gas in the car, and they think it's fine to trash $20,000 worth of outboards. The company I work for makes heavy construction equipment, and someone was showing us videos of the military doing tests where they would drop our equipment out of airplanes with parachutes. It didnt go well, and it the two or three minute video, they flushed about $20,000,000 down the toilet. Unnecessary, IMO. Find a better way.

Btw, they were brand new. Part way through the video, the owners manuals and final assembly instructions flew o ff in a big cloud of paper...

my stomach just turned, maybe it's time to start sending links to every congressman and senator in the country, then again, this country isn't in debt and we have trillions to blow on leisure.

You notice how the people who hate wasting money are from ILLINOIS, too bad our state politicians don't feel the same way as we do. Nice to see these younger gentleman hating to waste money the way this old dude does. Thanks Guys.
gouran01
BYOB Fishing

Tim

gouran01 said:
I noticed the same, I guess the state produces some winners! haha

Uh...... ok #-o .....LOL

I agree with alot of the above comments...It could have been a plate of steel for that matter...or a rubber ball from walmart...hit that and set it on fire...your out a couple bucks...same results....Its easy to spend other people's money... :(

Latest posts