Scared of commitment!! Guys Please help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAndBait

Reaction score
Guys,

I've had the itch to own a boat for the past 6 years. I spent 5 years active duty military in Alaska and have moved to Texas this past year. I have been fishing from the bank my entire life (except for a few canoe trips here and there, deep sea, and friends rigs). I have 2 kids that I'm itching to take out on the water in my own rig. I've considered going to Bass Pro Shops and just getting myself in debt on a 16 foot Grizzly or taking a loan out from the bank and picking up something from a Person to Person Sale.

I was recently **GIVEN** an older 1960's Semi V Alluminum (riveted) boat. It was on a friend of the family's Ranch here in South Central Texas. The boat hadn't been touched in over 30 years. Flipped upside down on the bank of a cattle pond. The Ranch owner told me to go for it. I could have it if I wanted. I brought it home and pressure washed it inside and out. This thing is rough, let me tell ya! My excitement is mixed with doubt. I'm not sure if it's doubt in myself or doubt in the boat. I know this things got a million leaks. There's bullet holes in this thing haha. I've been researching up and down....how to patch aluminum, which holes and rivets need to be welded, what should I do: Steel Flex it? Rino Line it? How in the world can I make this thing float!!!???!!!!

I think getting it to float is the hardest part. After it's water tight, the motivation to begin the real work will begin....the transom, the floor frame, the wiring, you guys know the drill.

I just keep second guessing this entire project. Shouldn't I just go get in debt and have an instant boat? Wouldn't it all cost the same amount in the end anyways? I don't even have a trailer........and the worse part is: This boat has no papers.......I'll have to jump through the hoops with the Texas DMV to even put this thing on a Public Lake? And, how much will that end up costing me.....

I need some encouragement. I need motivation. Please words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Cmon, help me out!!

Jordan C

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 836
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 836
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 836
Put it on stilts and fill it with water. Look under the boat see where its leaking. Work on fixing the leaks while you decide if a monthly payment is what you want.

First off thanks for your service!

Second off, dig around see if you can find you a usable boat reasonably cheap to get you in the water. Then start tinkering with this one. It is worth the effort to fix up, if you like fixing things :wink: When you get it done and are using it, then you will feel it was well worth the effort.

Lonny

If you've never had a boat...I sure wouldn't go into debt to get one...especially if you have one at your disposal...after a little fixing up. Who knows, you or one of the kids might feel very uncomfortable on the water....then what do you do?

There are guys on this site that have taken some seriously junky looking tubs and made them into fine looking boats.

If you decide that the boat you have is not what you want, there a thousands of good USED boats for sale every day. Some are listed on this site; some at Craig's list...and some are just in the local papers.

Rich

Learning "the ropes" on a cheap (free is even better) boat is the way to go, IMO. I have way too much money invested in my two used boats (four so far over the last few years) but you only live once! :roll:

I resurrected a tin that sat for over twenty years in someone's back yard, uncovered! The most expensive part will be the motor.

Good luck!

When I fished I would mainly fish from the bank unless I went with someone who had a boat. Then for maybe 30 years I didn't fish at all. Last fall I started fishing again, on the banks again. I would see places that looked good but you couldn't get to them. So in February I bought my 1st boat a used 1654 Polar Kraft. New jon boats are pretty cheap but then throw in the trailer and a motor and your into some big money at least for me anyway. I enjoy taking mine out, I usually go out several times a week. I have a couple if places within 30 minutes of my house.

If you think you want a boat look around for a used one, then if you don't like it you can sell it and recover most of your money back.

Good luck

Buy a used rig that is ready to go - the engine is where the money is on most tins - so get something with a decent motor

If you take your time and hunt around there are lots of great deals out there - set a budget of like $2,500.00 and you will have at least 20-50 boats within 100 miles of your location to choose from

Test drive before you buy whenever possible

I agree with Ahab on this. It's probably going to be cheaper that rehabbing that old tin and you could look into selling the junker for scrap to offset the cost of a new/used boat. Sacrilege on this site, I know. But when it comes to $$$ and fishing, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :wink:

Going into debt, although most everyone does it.....isn't worth it if you can avoid it. You can continue to fish from the bank until you have what you need to get on the water. Doesn't matter if it's the one you already have or something used from somewhere else.

Look at it this way man, i'v worked on car's all my life i'v had a'lot of different car's and trucks for projects.

I lost interest in certain one's and sold them incomplete and i honestly knew i bit off more than i could chew and i passed them along to some one who had more interest in them than i did and also more cash flow. Once i got older i came across my truck, it's a 94 dodge ram 1500 4x4 i'v got A'LOT of money into this truck and to look at it you wouldn't think it because the body is rusted like crazy and i will be keeping this truck untill i die or it die's whichever comes first, and i know lot's of more money will be invested in this thing through it's future. My moral of the story is just because it needs a'lot of work doesn't mean it should scare you off or discourage you in any way. Take your time and spend a little money at a time and before you know it you will have done way more than you would have ever expected you could do and honestly you will have way more faith in your self in the end because of it.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask questions and we will do everything in our ability to answer or find the answer for you.

fender66 said:
Going into debt, although most everyone does it.....isn't worth it if you can avoid it. You can continue to fish from the bank until you have what you need to get on the water. Doesn't matter if it's the one you already have or something used from somewhere else.

Just my opinion, but boats are lot more fun if you are not making a monthly payment on them. I have had 5 tins and saved up and paid cash for each of them. The budget for my first boat was $1500. A lot of the boats here were built in stages. On my last project I ran the boat total electric for months before buying an outboard for it.

Debt sucks, if the restoration don't work out make that easy monthly payment to yourself. Im pretty sure after a few months you will rethink that plan and buy something you can afford and pay for it with cash! Good Luck

I'll have to jump through the hoops with the Texas DMV to even put this thing on a Public Lake? And, how much will that end up costing me.....

Not exactly #-o

You'll be jumping through hoops with Texas Parks and Wildlife, the DMV has no say over what happens on a boat in Texas :mrgreen:

First thing, if you're wanting to title it, is to check for Hull Id Number.

Then visit here

Here is the matrix for finding out what all you will need

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/Not%20on%20TPWD%20Record.pdf

Here are the forms you'll have to get completed

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_0504_a0900_affidavit_of_facts_for_identification.pdf

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_314_a0900_affidavit_of_fact.pdf

You will also need proof that the boat isn't registered and never has been via the HIN or registration numbers. You can search the numbers here https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/tora/jump.jsf

As well as a bill of sale from the previous owner

That should get you started in the right direction. I don't know a much, but I know the TPWD website like the back of my hand :twisted:

The way I look at it is im not one to buy new, but I have kids as well and even though my boat runs good now I dont trust takin my kids out on it. When I het the money I plan on buying a newer motor.I dont mind spending momey on piece of mind. Especially when it involves my kids.boays are a dime a dozen just find something you feel comfortable having your family in and then buy a good running motor.and invest in a trolling motor. I hate getting into a boat without one.i took mine off to fit more camping gear and that was the one time my motor wouldnt start and I had quite a paddle back.....

Latest posts