No Water!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
The lake I boat/fish at currently is VERY low. The usual dam height has to be between 9 and 9.5ft, and it is currently at 7. This is the largest lake in New Jersey, and will require a lot of rain to make it fishable. Is alone else not able to go fishing because of the current drought?

bassboy1 said:
New Jersey's largest lake is only 4 square miles, and 9' deep? :shock:

Wow.

He said dam height (on teh gauge)

He is talking about Lake Hopatcong,Nine miles in length and covered by 2,500 acres

I am not sure about depth - but it has lake trout so that usually means 45-60 feet of water

Captain Ahab said:
bassboy1 said:

Wow.

He is talking about Lake Hopatcong,Nine miles in length and covered by 2,500 acres

I am not sure about depth - but it has lake trout so that usually means 45-60 feet of water

Yep, 2500 acres is 3.9 square miles. The lake closest to me, not nearly the largest in the state, is 20 square miles, for reference.

Explain to me the difference between gauge height, and depth?

Gauge height measure from the "normal" water level is this situation - (gauge height of the crest of the dam at Lake Hopatcong is 9.0 feet).

According to the depth charts for this lake - Central basin's average depth is 27 ft. Max depth is 58 Ft

The deepest point at lake hopatcong is around 60'. There are many exposed rocks because of the low water level. I guess I should stop looking for a new boat, because there will be not water to use it in this summer :x

the lake where i live is down due to bridge construction on the south side. I put in yesterday on the up river side, and it was 6" of water the whole way. to say the least, we didnt get far.... :cry:

bassboy1 said:
Captain Ahab said:
bassboy1 said:

Wow.

Yep, 2500 acres is 3.9 square miles. The lake closest to me, not nearly the largest in the state, is 20 square miles, for reference.

Explain to me the difference between gauge height, and depth?
GIYF (Google Is Your Friend) :wink: https://www.lakehopatcong.org/lake_level.htm

"The lake was lowered over the winter approximately 26" per the Lake Hopatcong Water Level Management Plan. Refilling of the lake was initiated earlier than usual this year due to the lack of ice cover on the lake and in recognition of minimal rainfall. On Feb. 18 the passing flow was reduced from approx. 23 CFS to 12 CFS (data from USGS website) to accelerate the rate of refill. Unfortunately the lake has not refilled appreciably due to minimal rainfall. The lake level as of April 12 is at 7.10 ft (gage height), which is 1.9 ft below normal pool elevation (gage height of the crest of the dam at Lake Hopatcong is 9.0 feet)."

Latest posts