Grillin preference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's preference was for grilling. As spring hits, I begin to grill multiple times a week. I love it. I have used only propane for years until two years ago, and I will never go back to it. Charcoal is awesome. Everything tastes better, and you can actually cool slow. I have never had good luck with smoking stuff on a gas grill. Anyway, what do you prefer?

I wish I had a huge grill/smoker :D

I'm used to my Weber Gas grill! I had a char-broil before which was good too. The charbroil lasted me 6 years of abuse.

I grill throughout the year. I like cooking outside...Neighbors think I'm nuts!

we grill using propane most of the time but we also use charcoal too. we are actually looking into getting a nice big charcoal grill for this year. then we will do it that way more often. nothing compares to the way it comes out using charcoal. takes a lot longer but if you have the time and patience (like my other half does) then go that way!

This is the firs year we have not used the bbq over the winter. we have a Brinkmans propane grill that we have ad for 6 years I replaced the burners last year and it is back to new. I also have a 4'tall propane smoker that we use all year long i can smoke meats at a temp of 175 up to 250 with it It makes for some fine eatin. Mt wife will smoke a turkey breast about every other weekend and nothing beats slow smoked prime rib.

Wayne

I used to have a Weber. Lasted about 15 years before it started falling apart. Moved to an apartment that didn't allow charcoal grills on the balconcy, only gas, so I got a gas grill. I like the fact that you can turn a knob and be cooking in 5 minutes, then turn a knob and be done with it. I wrap some wood chips in a piece of foil and lay it on the burner and get planty of smoke flavor. I have apple, hickory, live oak, alder and mesquite chips.

Jim said:
I'm used to my Weber Gas grill! I had a char-broil before which was good too. The charbroil lasted me 6 years of abuse.

I grill throughout the year. I like cooking outside...Neighbors think I'm nuts!
nothin nuts about that.
Ive got both gas and charcoal, and I prefer the charcoal but have been known to have to use both at the same time

I do the tinfoil smoke trick as well - only I use fresh herbs. Rosemary is awesome for anything (except fish, fish i use Lemon thyme)

My gas grill rocks and I too grill all year round

Strictly charcoal here. Had a propane grill years ago and never could get used to it, plus I hated having to do the fill-up thing. We use the Kingsford charcoal that is already pre-treated; just add a match, they light, let burn-down until they're white/ashy color, spread around the grill evenly, and you're ready to go. :)

Was a diehard charcoal guy for years - pain in the butt here in N. Illinois when it's really cold (teens or below zero). Graduated to gas about 10 years ago - won't ever go back. Admittedly, you lose some flavoring of the charcoal, but, adding a few chips or other flavoring bits makes up for it to a degree. Certainly better to turn it on, hot in 4-5 minutes (rather than 20-30 with charcoal - or longer in colder weather) and ready to cook. Also,variable temps of gas grill is very helpful for quick sear or slow cooking. One word of advice - went through two cheap gas grills before I got wise and bought a weber stainless top of the line - well worth the money in the long run if you're cooking all year..... Oh yeah, the cost of a gas canister isn't really any more than charcoal and lighter fluid for the amount of cooking time and definately the convenience...

I went out a purchased a 50lb tank and i get it filled for $27 it lasts for half a season cooking out 4nights week
I also bought a quality grill and have replaced the burner on it it still cooks like new and is 7 years old at this point..
Wayne

redbug said:
I went out a purchased a 50lb tank and i get it filled for $27 it lasts for half a season cooking out 4nights week
I also bought a quality grill and have replaced the burner on it it still cooks like new and is 7 years old at this point..
Wayne

That's what I'm talking about - cost effective, long lasting and far more convenient and less messy. Ya just gotta get over the charcoal taste your missing...

I got my Charbroil propane grill about 6 years ago. I grill a few times a week all year long.

I also have a Weber kettle grill that I use when I go camping

I was working on tryin to finish up my Grill build today. I only have about 30 bucks in it because most of the steel was free and tank was free. It's about 5 1/2 foot wide. When I brought the tank home it took up almost the whole bed of my truck.

I usually grill out a few times a week and yes have even grilled out in the snow when we get any. I have used a few gas grills but I like to smoke or cook real slow alot of the times so I Prefer Sam's Choice charcoal. It has wood chips in it and alot bigger briquets than any other brand, and you can get the match light type to.

I have a few hunting buddies and wanted a big enuff grill/smoker for putting a whole hog or alot of food on for large get togethers

here's an easy trick: throw a few charcoal briquettes in a pie pan or whatever off to the size and let them smoke away. throw some flavored woodchips in too, whatever. then try cooking the food a little slower and youll have some nice flavor

switchback said:
I was working on tryin to finish up my Grill build today. I only have about 30 bucks in it because most of the steel was free and tank was free. It's about 5 1/2 foot wide. When I brought the tank home it took up almost the whole bed of my truck.

I usually grill out a few times a week and yes have even grilled out in the snow when we get any. I have used a few gas grills but I like to smoke or cook real slow alot of the times so I Prefer Sam's Choice charcoal. It has wood chips in it and alot bigger briquets than any other brand, and you can get the match light type to.

I have a few hunting buddies and wanted a big enuff grill/smoker for putting a whole hog or alot of food on for large get togethers

we have used sam's choice too. it is good. we picked up one of those chimney things that you put the charcoal in then just dump it in the grill when it's ready. Maybe it will make it easier and we can use the charcoal more often.

Latest posts