Why does no one make a quality aluminum bass boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotmuddy

Reaction score
Why doesnt a manufacturer make a aluminum bass boat that compares to a fiberglass one? Surely its possible.

what makes you think ALUM. boats are sub-par.

g3 now has a all metal transom and warranties there decks for life and it can be transferred.

i cant stand working with fiberglass. the only time its worth the hassle to me is saltwater vessels when rough water in a way of life.

They say xpress boats are up there in quality. Are you talking about hull formation where bass boats are smooth and rounded and tins are squarish?

I really like that new G3. I miss mine.

gotmuddy said:
Why doesnt a manufacturer make a aluminum bass boat that compares to a fiberglass one? Surely its possible.

If you mean like Jim said "Hull shape", I read an article somewhere that it's really expensive to construct compound curves in metal. With fiberglass they can do it with wood and moulds and reuse the moulds to economize. With metal theres a lot of structural work to get it to keep it's shape.

That being said, theres lots of custom boat builders that would probably do it. When (notice I'm hopeful) I win the lottery I'd like one.

Tracker had one a few years back that had decent reviews.

The Tracker Avalanche....................

pic2005aluminumbassboat3.jpg

I want a tin bass boat that I can throw a 150 or 200hp on and fish a tournament with. compound angles shouldnt be hard, you would just need a big forge.

Why can't you go with glass? If you are looking for that much HP you are going to have to settle for a Walleye or multi-species boat. Alumacract, Lund, Crestliner all make them.

Attachments

• Lund.jpg
    Lund.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,290
JamesM56alum said:
muskiemike12 said:
Why can't you go with glass? If you are looking for that much HP you are going to have to settle for a Walleye or multi-species boat. Alumacract, Lund, Crestliner all make them.

=P~

^^ What James said.

Heck with FG boats - what I want to see come back are the aluminum, DEEP/high wall, no frill's "V" utility boats that they used to turn out. Seems like if you want something that's deeper than a standard 20" transom boats, they're gonna sock it too you with extras out the wazoo. Bring back the basics!

In all my years I can't remember seeing a transom deeper than 20". You can still buy plain Jane boats they are available. Look at the Lund Alaskan, up to 20'. You have to stop looking at the catalogs because they just put the eye catchers in there.

I should have explained a little better - the transom height will always be ~20", what I meant was the outer wall height by the gunnels. An example of what I mean would be like the Starcraft/Smokercraft/etc Freedom series - it's got the 20" transom, then steps up a bit, and then steps up again to the sides - so in reality, the outer walls of the boat are 5" taller than the transom height.

I think you're right, the Lund Alaskan is built the same way. Make more boats like that, but without all the bells and whistles -simple, utilitarian, and light for smaller more efficient motors. That's what I'd like to see return.

Who says they don't? :|

https://www.tritonaluminum.com/showroom/

https://www.xpressboats.com/view/bass

The reason that you don't see more of them is because they start getting into the price range of glass boats. That's why Tracker quit producing the Avalanche.

muskiemike12 said:
In all my years I can't remember seeing a transom deeper than 20". You can still buy plain Jane boats they are available. Look at the Lund Alaskan, up to 20'. You have to stop looking at the catalogs because they just put the eye catchers in there.
g 3 angler series. guide v 143 t, guide v 14 cxt all 20" transom and at least 25" sides.the cxt is a reasonable price for what you get.

G3 used to make a tin that could handle a 200hp OB, but discontinued it I think. Saw one for sale on another forum about a month ago. with the weight reduction from going tin, you don't need 200, a 150 will probably scare the ^&*% outta of you if you're game to open it imo. :LOL2:

Latest posts