Quitting smoking... again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I'm on day 2 without a cigarrette and it's getting rough.

I've quit before, once for 6 years but like an idiot I started again and this time seems rougher than before.

Any success stories out there to give me inspiration?

Tips, tricks?

All I can say is good luck. I have quit several times in the past and then always find myself lighting up over some kind of stressful event.

I quit and you can too. I'm weak........ But look at this picture and remind yourself of the pain if God forbid you come down with Lung Cancer.

These are the only two pictures you need. Get some gum, not the minty stuff, a big wad of Big League Chew or Hubba Bubba!

5473965440_f217bbe4d5.jpg

smoking_lung_cancer.jpg

Jim said:
I quit and you can too. I'm weak........ But look at this picture and remind yourself of the pain if God forbid you come down with Lung Cancer.

These are the only two pictures you need. Get some gum, not the minty stuff, a big wad of Big League Chew or Hubba Bubba!

5473965440_f217bbe4d5.jpg

smoking_lung_cancer.jpg

Ironic you mention that, they just took the lower left lobe from my sisters lung 1.5 months ago. Carcinoid tumour. She doesn't smoke or drink, doctor said it just happens.

I quit many times before too but finally stopped smoking 22 years ago while smoking three packs a day! If you're motivated enough, you can do it. My motivation was the death of Sammy Davis Jr. He was one of my favorite performers.

I substituted cancer sticks with sunflower seeds. It was messy, but it was worth it. I have since kicked the sunflower seed addiction too.

Good luck!

Was just talking to a guy about quitting smoking. He did it by eating one of those Atomic Red Hot candies everytime he got the desire. He would suck on it until he couldn't anymore, and that took his mind off the craving. He said after a couple of weeks, he was done.

Even though it's an addiction, I think most of the time we some it is because of habit; get on the phone, light up, get in the car, light up, have a cup of coffee, light up, or whatever your habit is. Just find a new habit to replace the cigarette. He actually got me thinking about quitting. Been smoking for 30 yrs this year, and never really attempted whole-heartedly.

Keep us informed, and good luck!

the first time i quit it was for 10 years.then started again for 3,then quit again going on 5 years now.i bought my g3 with the money i saved,and the wife can't complain because she was supposed to quit with me.she still smokes but i'm determined to never smoke again whether she quits or not.set yourself a goal to work towards,it really helps to focus your determination and if you really want to quit because you want to ,not because you're told to you will succeed.my sister has emphysema,but wont quit.she just doesn't want to. :?

Day three....... Hasn't been so bad... (what I remember of it).

Have I mentioned I have a prescription for valium for back spasms? Works wonders for taking the edgo off of wanting a cig. as well! lol I've found my habit replacement for smoking! YAY

But seriously, it's not too bad. Mainly like everyone else, after meals or after finishing up a chore etc. is the roughest. ( and sitting in front of the computer)

WATER!

Screw all that other crap, they are nothing more than a crutch, a substitute for smoking, and apoor substitute at that. The best way to quite is to quite and forget about it. IF you need something to do to simulate smoking, drink water. Hand to mouth action, healthy, water is good for you, and the best part, its free. On the plus side, water will clean your body of nicotine faster than anything else in the world. FACT!

Day 6, but who's counting......... I must admit it seems to be getting better. (after I've chewed up all the pens on my desk) One place I read that the nicotine is out after 72 hours and you are just dealing with the craving/habit.

Need to pick up a new habit that doesn't involve snacking... hmmm I hear smoking keeps you from eating a lot! LOL

parkerdog said:
Day 6, but who's counting......... I must admit it seems to be getting better. (after I've chewed up all the pens on my desk) One place I read that the nicotine is out after 72 hours and you are just dealing with the craving/habit.

Need to pick up a new habit that doesn't involve snacking... hmmm I hear smoking keeps you from eating a lot! LOL

Awesome man! I know it's hard. I quit about 2 years ago when my wife got pregnant. Once you are past the initial nicotine craving it's all about the habits! I used to smoke when I'd do certain things; I'd always light one up when I got into the car, after a meal, etc. I guess I'm lucky because I quit habitually smoking cold turkey. When I'd get in the car, or after a meal, or any event that I would normally light one up I'd put in a stick of gum instead. I still have a cigarette occasionally (like 1 every couple months) but nothing that would keep me needing to. Now I need to work on quitting the dip! I've dipped for years, I didn't switch to it when I stopped smoking. Same thing though, I love to put in a dip when I'm fishing or watching TV (which I do both a good bit!). Told myself after these last two cans I have I'm not buying any more no matter how bad I want to!

Keep going though, you're doing it!

Drinking water is an easy habit, simulates the hand to mouth, prevents eating, especially snack food.

Hanr3 said:
Drinking water is an easy habit, simulates the hand to mouth, prevents eating, especially snack food.

I drink lots of water already. Sitting in front of me on my desk is a bottle of water, drank lots while smoking too. Anymore and I'll be waterlogged. LOL

Dockside85 said:
parkerdog said:

Awesome man! I know it's hard. I quit about 2 years ago when my wife got pregnant. Once you are past the initial nicotine craving it's all about the habits! I used to smoke when I'd do certain things; I'd always light one up when I got into the car, after a meal, etc. I guess I'm lucky because I quit habitually smoking cold turkey. When I'd get in the car, or after a meal, or any event that I would normally light one up I'd put in a stick of gum instead. I still have a cigarette occasionally (like 1 every couple months) but nothing that would keep me needing to. Now I need to work on quitting the dip! I've dipped for years, I didn't switch to it when I stopped smoking. Same thing though, I love to put in a dip when I'm fishing or watching TV (which I do both a good bit!). Told myself after these last two cans I have I'm not buying any more no matter how bad I want to!

Keep going though, you're doing it!

Local guy to me just had most of his lower face removed earlier this year from cancer. Chewed for years. That would keep me from chewing. I guess you don't think about lung cancer as much because you can't see it.

I quit after 18 years of pack-a-day smoking with that Chantix drug

After 4 days, i didn't even want one, and after the one month prescription was up, i was done!

Now, 3 years later, i still occasionally will want a smoke, but will not act on the urge.

While on the Chantix, i still went out on smoke breaks with co-workers, but didn't smoke. I was able to stand with my 2 buddies while they smoked and i didn't even get bothered by it.

Nowadays, sometimes i smell them in the air and hate it, sometimes it makes me want one, but still, something stops me from actually acting on it.

Before i tried chantix, i tried several thing including: cold turkey, nicotine gums, patches... Nothing else worked for me...

Good luck!

Keep at it.

I quit on January 6th of this year. I had done it before for two years about seventeen years ago. Life changing situation had me at it again.

Forget me, this is about you. When you feel the urge tell yourself you don't need it.

Habits are hard to break. Strong willed and minded people can do anything.

Good Luck =D>

BillG said:
Keep at it.

I quit on January 6th of this year. I had done it before for two years about seventeen years ago. Life changing situation had me at it again.

Forget me, this is about you. When you feel the urge tell yourself you don't need it.

Habits are hard to break. Strong willed and minded people can do anything.

Good Luck =D>

So far I've stuck to my guns. Of course I'm a hermit now because I'm staying away from where other people smoke. Like the coffee shop in the morning.

My personal challenge right now is my buddy left some very nice cigars here a while back. I don't like cigars but the little voice in the back of my head is saying....go ahead do it.. if nothing else just chew on it without lighting it. Like you said I just keep telling myself I don't need it... Valium takes the edge off too.

How you holding up. Still cig free? My wife is on me about my smoking and the cost and my health. I am trying to cut back, 3 packs a day is a bit much and expensive.

Latest posts