Pics and a little story about my 16' Tin Boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineIAC

Reaction score
102_2145.JPG109_1509.JPGHey Guys,
So im hoping that these pics are viewable-I never took any pics of this 16' aluminum boat when my father and i bought it last spring... My dad was just going to clean it up and throw on a motor so he could get to his buddy's land that is only accessible by boat( he's a professional wooden boat builder who worked at Hinckley before going on his own-he used to hate all TIN BOATS till now) but whoever owned it prior had built a cover over the bow with 2x4's and painted plywood-the deck was painted plywood as well and rotted right out... the only thing we saved was the deck ribs because they were screwed in from the underside of the hull and still had some life left...

I wrote a little caption on each one of the pics... it took me about 2 hours to resize each image... they might not be in order, but I need to get to work... I hope you enjoy looking at them... if you have any questions, comments or complaints please feel free to leave them...

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 736
  • 109_1510.JPG
    109_1510.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 736
  • 109_1514.JPG
    109_1514.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 736
  • 109_1515.JPG
    109_1515.JPG
    997.2 KB · Views: 736
  • 109_1517.JPG
    109_1517.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 736
  • 109_1516.JPG
    109_1516.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 736
  • 103_1594.JPG
    103_1594.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 736
  • 103_1589.JPG
    103_1589.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 736
  • 113_1949.JPG
    113_1949.JPG
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 736
Hey man that is a nice looking boat. Great work. In picture number 10 the caption reads: " In this picture you can see how we ripped pressure treated 2bys to lay on top of the old deck ribs so the new deck panels would lay flat instead of in a v-shape which is much better...". This may be a problem later on, as I understand it the pressure treated wood will react with aluminum and cause it to pit and decay. I may be wrong here. Could any of you other guys with knowledge and experience weight in on this? I would just hate to see the bottom of your boat fall out in a few years.

Dragonman said:
Hey man that is a nice looking boat. Great work. In picture number 10 the caption reads: " In this picture you can see how we ripped pressure treated 2bys to lay on top of the old deck ribs so the new deck panels would lay flat instead of in a v-shape which is much better...". This may be a problem later on, as I understand it the pressure treated wood will react with aluminum and cause it to pit and decay. I may be wrong here. Could any of you other guys with knowledge and experience weight in on this? I would just hate to see the bottom of your boat fall out in a few years.
I'm hoping the black jack tar and the interior paint will keep the pressure treated wood from interacting with the aluminum... Well see... Honestly didn't think much about that... :shock: :?

Hey guys thanks for all the comments... And to reiterate my last post, we didn't attach the p.t. Ribs directly to the hull... We fit them onto the original ribs, allowing bilge water to flow freely under them... So there shouldn't be any catastrophies.. Well not that way at least...

I have a 15 hp Johnson long shaft that I use on this boat and another boat we have.. I want to buy a shorter shafted outboard, but **** outboards cost as much as a good older motorcycle these days...

fender66 said:
Great build. I really like that deck material and would like to know more about what it's actually called.
Honestly all I can tell you about the decking is that it was used in making paper... Basically they were 4x8' sheets 1'' thick that strained pulp... It's a really hard compound plastic... I'm sure if I hadn't got them for free, I would have never been able to see myself buying them at cost.... But my advice, look for old paper making factories for them... I'm sure they throw out the old ones considering how much paper is manufacted... I have about 1 full sheet left over if that would help ya out.. Lol :D

MaineIAC said:
fender66 said:
Great build. I really like that deck material and would like to know more about what it's actually called.
Honestly all I can tell you about the decking is that it was used in making paper... Basically they were 4x8' sheets 1'' thick that strained pulp... It's a really hard compound plastic... I'm sure if I hadn't got them for free, I would have never been able to see myself buying them at cost.... But my advice, look for old paper making factories for them... I'm sure they throw out the old ones considering how much paper is manufacted... I have about 1 full sheet left over if that would help ya out.. Lol :D

Oh....I'm not looking for any...just interested in knowing more about it. That's all. Thanks for the offer though.

After seeing this build I actually looked up on Mcmaster carr and found preforated plastic...its only a 1/4inch think though and this stuff looks alot thicker. I did my transom out of plastic and would be nice to do the same with the deck. 1/4 seems to thin and its pricey..