9.5 evinrude, won't plane out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rknswcharlie

Reaction score
i was looking for answers bout a flywheel prob, that brought me to this site, and walleyehunter's problem bout his motor not planing his boat out was first thing i read, from april,2010. walleyehunter if u still got that motor, i was having same prob. what my neighbor figured out , by us taking it a closeby river, was it wasnt getting enough air, he came back down river,W/ it hauling a_s. he had taken cover off, and it got that 12ft flt bottom ouachita on plane. i eventually cut a hole in cover, and installed a 1" pvc plumbing t facing backwards, it gets enough air that way. if u still have the boat and motor, try running it w/ cover off first, to see if it will plane,..i also have weight in front, like trolling motor attery, and truck spare weight , to help it plane out

It's a real problem with these motors. The exhaust rubber/gasket degrades and allow exhaust gasses to enter the motor compartment. Therefore, choking out the motor. That's why it runs better with the cowling off and/or with a hole cut into it.

I have the same problem with a 5.5.

Rather than just drilling holes (which really appeals to my simple mind,) I have ordered "Midget Clam Shell Ventilator 2-1/4"…Midget Clam Shell Ventilator 2-1/4" X 2-1/8" CD SeaDog Line$2.94
Item number: 3161370" from iboats.

I'll let you know how it works out. I'm thinking maybe one on top as a ram-air intake and one on the back as an exhaust port.

dunno. We'll see.