Anyone Going fishing during the super moon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonman

Reaction score
The moon is supposed to be big and bright tonight, in fact the biggest of the year. By my calculations that would make tonight a good night to go fishing. Any of you guys heading out?

bigwave said:
I am going swordfishing tonight.........I hope they are chewing tonight.

That is awesome! We do a few overnighters each season for swords but have yet to find any

Do you drift or anchor? Are you using hydro glow lights

How about light sticks?

We fish three baits suspended in the column. Since the moon is gonna be bright tonight we will put one deep 600' one at 200' and one 50'. We use 300lb 15' leaders with lingren pittman deep drop strobe lights....giant squid for bait and mahi bellies. I will put a bait on the bottom tomorrow in 1800' just for the hell of it. Im outta here in a few mins. Got to run home get my stuff and meet the guys in an hour so. Wish me luck........see ya

i got a a wedding i hope to leave around 8pm then me and my b.i.l. are fishing till past dawn.

I got my Trailer sticker renewed today!! My brother and I will be looking for the kitties tonight!!! Heading to the Illinois river around midnight. That is probably to late as the moon is supposed to rise around 11:30 pm I think. Oh well we will have a good time any way.

Took my kids to a friends pond...we had a blast caught a bunh of sunfish and a couple bass...but all before dark...

These are my two youngest and thier first fish...

08fb8d8c.jpg

f49b3221.jpg

I would love to, but we have severe thunder storms rolling threw area all day with winds up to 80 mph and hail larger then golf balls.
I think I will stay indoors
Image0021.jpg

Here in Ohio we've had a lot of rain storms so the rivers are blown out. I've been fishing retention ponds and feeder creeks and caught over 100 fish in the last 48 hours. Cloudy days with wind, 30% chance of rain...best fishing in 2012 other than the white bass action we had in March. I'm stuck working today or I'd be back at it, I can only imagine what the water is like out there today.

We picked up 27 keeper crappie yesterday afternoon. They were right up on the bank, 18" of water. The only reason we quit was because we ran out of minnows! Wish we got more than 3 dozen! Oh well, that's a lot of fish to clean at one time. I don't know if it had anything to do with the moon or not...

I just got home from my all nighter on the river. The visability was great due to the big moon. We caught 7 NICE Channel cats average was 2 to 2.5 lbs. The biggest was my brothers at about 3.5 lbs, I had a close second with 3.0 lbs But I got first fish of the night honors with that 3 pounder. When the sun came up it seemed the cats stopped biting but the Buffalo and Carp were. I caught my Biggest lifetime fish at 18.5 lbs, It was a Buffalo. It turned out to be the biggest of the day. I hooked another bigger but he spit the hook out after a minute or so of play. My brother hooked a couple of carp or buffalo but failed to bring them in. We had a blast. We were Using Night crawlers That my Daughter and I caught right before we left home. My brother was using Sonny's Dip Bait on one pole and it was doing just as good as the crawlers. We caught an unknown number of Perch(fresh water Drum) but we did not keep them.

https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Overnight%20fishing%20with%20Sam%202012/100_1148.jpg
Im on the left and my bro Sam is on the right.
https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Overnight%20fishing%20with%20Sam%202012/100_1149.jpg
This bad girl was 18.5 lbs Caught on a medium action ugly stick and 20 lb line with 15 lb leader.
https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Overnight%20fishing%20with%20Sam%202012/100_1150.jpg
I put that board in so the kitties would not slime my boat, They did not want to sit still for the pic lol.

On our way our "spot" about a 25 minute boat ride wide open, The motor started making a god awful noise all at once. I quickly brought things to a stop to inspect. When I pulled the boat out of gear the noise stopped, drop it in gear Forward or revers it would start again. We quickly determined that it was the lower end or the prop. We yanked the motor up to find that this little fin had come lose and was hitting the prop. A few quick turns of the wrench and we were back under way.
https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Overnight%20fishing%20with%20Sam%202012/100_1162.jpg
https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Overnight%20fishing%20with%20Sam%202012/100_1163.jpg
My prop is messed up so I will be saving and looking for a new one

On the way home this morning the water was like glass and we had the throttle wide open heading to the boat launch, As the launch came into sight and as I was planing how to come in to the bank, the motor fell on its face. One second the we were cooking along and the next the motor was dead. First thought , out of gas, Nope. Luckily another boater was right there and asked if we needed help, they brought us into the bank Apperently that big buffalo had floped up on to the fuel line and piched it or something similar. once we moved the fish and pulled the hood to give it a look the we had no more trouble. As my brother was backing the trailer I cut a couple donuts in the middle if the river to to make sure. It ran like a champ. We did not catch a whole lot of keep able fish but we had a very good time.

pulled a all nighter as welll. final tally 4 spots between 2 and 3 lbs. 13 keeper croppie and 3 2lbs blue cats on the jugs.

had a few hooks robbed on the jugs and caught a bunch of squealer croppie as well.

all of the croppie and bass except for 1 came from around the same underwater light. they were biting good all night long.

we were enjoying fishing the light so much i really didnt care to do normal bass fishing as the sun came up.

Dragonman said:
On our way our "spot" about a 25 minute boat ride wide open, The motor
My prop is messed up so I will be saving and looking for a new one

Find yourself a good welder with a tig. He should be able to fix that prop right up. We have a guy here that fixes props for $40-$80 depending on damage. Had a couple fixed by him, does skegs too. Flawless work, no vibrations or anything.

Thats your trim tab. Unless you got it back the same as before you may notice it trying to push you one way or another, depending on the rotation of your prop. You can play around with it to get your boat to run straight without having to hold it so tight. If you get the prop fixed then set that and you'll be good to go...

Thanks Jason, We set the trim tab straight the night that happened, It was pulling slightly to the right afterwards. I called about a new prop, they quoted me $225-250 for SS prop. and about $150 for aluminum. I seen a couple props on craigs list but none will fit. As I was looking for used props , there was a guy who posted that he fixes outboards and props and a phone number. I gave it a call but he has not called me back. Hope he will tonight and I hope he charges reasonable prices.

I got a call from that guy about the prop. We talked a little bit, He could not shoot me a solid price with out seeing it first so I sent him the pic and he called me right back and said that would be fairly easy to fix and would do it for $40.00. I will be dropping it off to him in very near future. I will let you know how he does.