Ok so who knows how to sail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
I have always thought it was cool what people do on sailboats. I have never been around them but see them often on the little 10 limit lake....very cool to watch...

So anyway I see this ad on Craigslist the other day for a sailboat. its close so I call the guy I was second or third so I gave him my info and figured I wouldn't get it.

But today he gave me a call and I went down and picked it up. Its a Sears Jetwind 14. All the parts ar there but I need to repair a couple places on the sail. Oh and learn what the heck I am doing...LOL Here is a pic.. The sail isn't all the way up as its inside my barn.

030a34c6.jpg

All I needed was another boat...but wait untill you hear what I paid......

Are you ready,,.... $25.00

Yep just 25 bucks... Since I wanted to learn anyway...it seemed perfect and I figure I can make money on it if I decide to sell it.

So what have I got myself into? :shock:

What a deal. I do not know how to sail. But for a $25 investment I think I could try to learn :)

Lonny

Wow, for $25 I'd buy another sailboat again!

We bought a used Vanguard15 for $5000 many years ago after taking a couple of sailing classes at the local community college. I would suggest taking lessons if you've never sailed before. Even a small dinghy is a handful in a strong wind. My GF already knew how to rig and use a sailboat so the lessons were pretty much for me. We had a great time on it. We had to get towed in one day in the ocean because the winds and waves suddenly built up too big for our little sailboat. I also "turtled" the boat due to heavy winds and that was no fun to right it but due to some helpful bass fishermen, we managed to sail it back to the launch ramp.

Again, take some lessons if you can. Have fun and don't forget that PFD!

Looks like a knock off off a Sunfish (or could just be a renamed Sunfish, Sears was good like that). Super simple to setup, very forgiving to learn on, not a lot of lines to worry about. Cockpit's a little tight on the from what I remember.

If you do get get it hiked over a bit far and it goes over, just swim behind it and pull down on the dagger board - that'll pop it up. I only turtled two boats when I was actively sailing - both were Lasers. What a pain, at least I had a partner to swim under and push up the dagger board so we could roll it back over.

Have fun with it! 25$ well spent.

=D> =D>

I am sure its a knockoff of something. And your right they were good for that...basically changing the name and labeling it for themselves...

It looks like a blast..I have always thought so and I have always wanted to learn...I am going to look into the club at the local lake I would sail at. If they have a class then great if not maybe one of them will help me out.

I havea few things to fix but overall its in good shape. The sail has a few holes. I guess just from storage but I figure I can find a patch of some kind to put on it. I think something like a tent patch would work.

No rips that I saw just a couple holes.. I like the 3m 5200 fix. I may try that. It would be alot smaller area then that page showed. I also found some stuff that irons on and also sticky backed material..

Before I ever take it out the sail will be fixed.. Its a 700 acre lake and I realy don't want to paddle the length...lol...

Sailing can be great fun...and...it is something you can do when the wind is up and fishing isn't in the cards. I've owned a number of sailboats over the years. Two 27 ft Catalina's topped off the fleet.

As I write this, I am planning on adding a sail to my recent fleet addition of a MANTA 10 ft. kayak. I put a mast step on Friday, and tried a small home-made sail. Bad design and too little sail caused poor results. But, more old sheets and lots of brass grommets... and I'll have her up and moving along soon, I think.

Your little boat is the very size that can be the most fun. Big ones get to be boring. Given any kind of breeze at all, there won't be any boring moments in your new found sailing career. Sailing is kind of intuitive, but lessons won't hurt a bit. regards, Rich

Thanks Rich. I have also thought about adding a sail to my Kayak... but until I know how to sail....well thats why I haven't...

I contacted the local club at the lake I built my tin for which is 10 minutes from my house...They sail all the time on there. They are having the class this weekend but I doubt I can make it. It looks like great fun so why not. I'll fix it up and have more than 25 dollars worth of fun with it even if I turtle it :D

Got a lot going on in the next couple weeks so it will be a while before I can play with her. But I did realize over the weekend that since my Tin is 14 foot and easy enough to unload off my trailer I can just transport it on there....might work out nice.

Sailing can be very exciting and a fun thing to do on a breezy afternoon. Only a couple of real big things to always remember.

#1. a sailboat will NOT sail directly into the wind. That is what "tacking" is for...you move at approximately 45 degree angles towards the wind, back and forth, until you get where you are going.

Think of tacking like this.. Your boat >>>.... /\/\/\/\/\/ >> towards the X target == wind <<<<
................................................................tacking....................................................

#2. when the wind gets directly behind you...that is the MOST DANGEROUS point of sail..That is when the boom can swing over violently. Your boat can tip sideways due to the momentum of the sail and boom shifting rapidly from one side to the other.

On a little boat like yours, if you get into that situation ( you will) just grab the boom and move the sail over to the other side under your control... while moving the tiller/rudder the direction that you want.

You'll figure it out. They've been doing it for thousands of years....No PHD degrees were out there, either.

I found this site (below) on the net that might help with terms etc. regards, Rich

https://sailing.about.com/od/learntosail/Learn_to_Sail.htm

Wow! Great deal on the sailboat! I used to have a 14ft sailboat, but it was a deep-v hull with a 7ft retractable keel. The capacity was 4 people as I recall. I don't remember the make of the boat, but it had both a mainsail and a jib. I could outrun a jon boat with a small motor on a windy day. The large keel allowed for a great deal of lean without capsizing. You will learn to duck, and or swim :LOL2: I didn't take formal lessons, however I did learn from a couple of experienced sailors. Sailing was the most fun I've had on the water besides fishing of course. Man now you've got me missing that little sailboat.

Hi guy ....SAILING IS FUN.... With your little day sailor all you need to do is find a small shallow lake. Put your rudder and keel down. Sit on your boat like you were on a surfboard with your legs over the sides or so. This will let you feel stable.Take the line that goes to the top of the mast and ease it up a little. You will find a small cleat on the side deck wrap it around it so sail is only 1/2 up. Let the breeze pull you a short distance then let the sail back down next time pull a little higher and use the rudder handle ( tiller ) to move you from side to side. As you start mastering the forces of the breeze and the drag of the water you will find your self sailing. One correction I must add is BREEZE N O T WIND as all you need is a soft ripple on the water to do ALL you want to . After a while you will be chasing the little ripple zones to catch a good run.
I have been a member of the LUGER boater association for years.
You should have a paddle aboard and a life vest and a good 5lb mushroom anchor with 50' of line. plus a whistle or horn.
IT IS THE LAW
Make sure you tie the whistle to the boat and the anchor to your life vest? NO reverse that. Take someone with you so they can try as well . The more you do this the better you will get. That is the fun of sailing.

Here is the link that will help you learn to sail
https://marinaaquaticcenter.org/PDFs/manuallarge.pdf
This is a collage sailing club that has been a great help to I and many of my friends.
You will find a local sailing club near you as well.
You tube sailing video has some good tips. Copy and paste to your browser they are clean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClWlxjeGQSs
These are good clean sites and will tell you all the details you will need and you can print out the details for reference.
You will love them.
Remember there aren't ropes on a sailboat just LINES ropes stay at the dock.
Capt Rhan

Attachments

• Coconut Rum.JPG
    Coconut Rum.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 153
wow thats a nice boat....I am looking forward to getting it out... any suggestions for patching those holes in the sail... I found a couple things on the internet and ebay but without experience I didn't know....don't want to have to fix it twice...

Latest posts